Tender drives

Jagman24

I am developing my first oo gauge layout for over 60 years, and have come across the problem (unknown in 1950!) of tender driven units.  I have one such unit, where the tended starts to push the loco long before the loco wheels move - not very realistic.   I am now looking at getting some more locos, but most of the 4-6-0 locos seem to be tender driven.  Is this the case, or are there some 4-6-0 units which are loco driven?

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that Tender driven locos (Ringfield motors) are old hat and current modern stock is loco driven with 'can' motors. So I assume that any tender driven locos you are looking at are potentially 'second-hand' purchases or old product stock. I can't be definitive about my 'understanding' as I do not model steam era.

Not answering your question but telling you why you have a tender drive locomotion problem.

If the loco machanism is stiff then it will have stiction preventing it from immediately reacting to the tender push. Make sure the loco freewheels easily and smoothly by checking the motion and lubricating as necessary. The loco should push around the tracks very easily, before you connect the tender to provide motive power.

Most modern locos are loco driven. Tender drive went out with the dark ages.

Hi Jagman@24, Hornby 4-6-0 locos with loco drive.

Later Hall Class,                           R3170  and higher.

All Grange Class.

All Star Class.

Later Castle Class.                        R2822 and higher.

Later  County Class.                      After 2005 (year)  production.

Later King Class.                           R2233 and higher.

Later Black 5 Class.                      R2257 and higher.     

Later Patriot  Class.                       R2632 and higher.

Rebuilt Royal Scot Class.

LNER B1 Class.

Later B12 Class.                             R3430 and higher.

Later B17/1 Sandringham Class.  R2920 and higher.

Later B17/4 Footballer Class.        R2922 and higher.  

Later King Arthur Class.                  R2580 and higher.

All S15 Class.

All Standard Class 4.

R number is catalogue number Hornby use. Quite a few to choose from.

If I have missed any can someone advise.   

Expanding upon the above listing:-

All Hall, Castle, B12, B17/1 and King Arthur class locos have been loco drive

Some 4-4-0 (Churchward) County class locos were tender drive but all 4-6-0 (Hawksworth) locos have been loco drive.

Rebuilt Patriot locos have also always been loco drive. 

GS

Hi, I discounted the very early Hall class, as yes it was loco drive but production ended in 1983, 36 years ago, pulling performance was poor on nickel track, used the old X04 motor.

Early King Arthurs last produced in 1978, but yes loco drive.

Early B12, deep wheel flanges may foul on modern track, latest release, some of later variaints found in trainsets may be OK but would still avoid in favour of the second generation B12s.

Majority of early B17s,  ended production on or before 1998, 20 years ago.

On the County,I put the 2005 cut off date as before that date didnot have a DCC decoder socket fitted.

Models classified as Rebuilt Patriot started with the R number R2632 as per list.

I gave the list which models I thought were OK for modern modelling.

I consider the list I gave are some of the more suitable, which may be readily on the market, and gives a good selection.

But it is only my opinion.

Hi, I discounted the very early Hall class, as yes it was loco drive but production ended in 1983, 36 years ago, pulling performance was poor on nickel track, used the old X04 motor.

Early King Arthurs last produced in 1978, but yes loco drive.

On the County,I put the 2005 cut off date as before that date didnot have a DCC decoder socket fitted.

OP didn't say he wanted a DCC socket. 

Might have helped if he said whether he wants old or new locos. Hopefully he will.  😀

Hi WTD, I thought as his OP said he was 'developing his first 00 gauge layout' it may be better to guide towards more modern locos that are easily upgraded to DCC if needed.

If the OP had said that he was going to collect, and hence  would not probably run the 4-6-0s, I would have done a more comprehensive list of all the loco drive locos.

As I said only my opinion.

Quite a few of the 1980s era Tender Drive locos have been more recently re-released in the Hornby Railroad range, with a new motor, now in the locomotive.

For examples, all four of the 1981 4-4-0 tender locos.

Midland (LMS) Compound.

SR Schools Class

GWR County (4-4-0)

The LNER D49 Class is the later Hunt version...but the chassis was always the same as the original 1981 Shires, Cheshire, LNER green, and Yorkshire, BR Black.

With minimal modifications, the new loco drive chassis for the loco and tender of these models can be fitted with the older tender drive model bodies if required to upgrade..

(We have now done this with three types, just not done the Schools...so far! 😉)

All four are also DCC ready, with an 8-pin decoder socket in the tender...

Thank you all folks for your VERY prompt and informative replies.  As some of you have guessed, I have tended to concentrate on s/h locos (my wife can be very scathing at times when describing the cost of my "toys").  Most of my locos are pre DCC but I intend converting the very old ones as soon as I can.   I do have one DCC unit (R2191 A3 'Colorado' - the one that pushes a reluctant loco!). I do intend buying one or two new locos, but I was wary of getting more Tender drive units in error, hence my earlier plea.

Whether loco or tender driven, cleaning and lubrication are essential for trouble-free running. I have a mix of both types, never had any problem with tender drive, and still buy them from time to time. DCC conversion is usually straightforward, because there is plenty of room to locate the decoder in the tender and soldering access is easy; the Ringfield motor is also easily accessible if maintenance is needed. It is also possible to add ballast to the loco to improve running and pulling power, though mine have never needed it.   

Hi Anglia998, Without looking througth my boxed up collection, I would think that the Hornby Thomas range were the latest tender drive locos.

Several are listed as been available till 2012, but may have been produced earlier.

These include, Edward, James, Murdoch, Ltd.Ed. Spencer and Gordon.

I think I  have a R383 Gordon with 2011 stamped on chassis.

As a note have you seen the new Hornby trainset, I think normally  for sale in Australia. R1223, Freightmaster.

It has the  H R pug, running number  431, different colour to the one in R1220.

Available in UK from Asda online @ £60.00. Hornby website donot list it.