Lack of model shops

AndyHead78

I live in Margate, the home of Hornby, however I feel there is a distinct lack of places to look at and purchase any locos or rolling stock near here. Even the Hornby shop doesn't seem to have much stock.

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Kent to buy new items? It's a shame I don't live closer to places such as Hattons or Rails of Sheffield, but they are a bit far to travel.

The model shop I used until recently has now closed as the owners have retired. Most of the other ones near me have a very limited railway range and have more car and plane related models. There is even less opportunity to buy spares/detailing parts etc as the shops don't stock much other than plasticard sheets.For the first time i have had to buy some plastruct sections via the internet. 

The facts are that if no-one is buying enough models and parts to pay the bills and wages of the shop owner there won't be any model shops. 

I get most of my stuff now online and at swapmeets or toy and model fairs. The amount I spend wouldn't keep a shop in business as realistically my interests are in more vintage models than the ones produced today, I enjoy fixing and maintaining them which seems to be less of a possibility with most modern makes as has been pointed out many times before. I also don't have the time I would like to spend with my models and I'm no-where near retirement so it looks like the amount I spend is unlikely to increase much and the few people I know at work who model trains are in a similar situation. 

I do know where there are some good model shops but they are a drive away and so I can't get to them without making a special journey.

From what I gather from my local model shop, how can you compete with mail order, where prices are much cheaper. In some respects I can see their point, but on the other hand who wants to pay £20 or £30 for the same model, by buying it from your local model shop. The other issue I get, is my local model shop is about 5 to 6 miles away and although I like to look around there, it normally doesn't have much stock. Quite often they don't have what I want, so why waste the petrol when I can buy it off a retailer in the Isle of Mann and have it delivered next day. Sad but that is the reality of the age we live in.

My local shop in Norwich has bery good stock of most major brands and sells at internet prices, plus you get the personal service and a cup of tea and biscuit at each visit.

I recently wanted a blue box autocoach but cribbed at the price and they went on Hattons to find it and immediately matched that price.

If you want something they do not have in stock they can usually get it in double quick time.

Have you tried going to the black line at the top of this page click on Stockists, and entering CT into the post code search box and click search? If you don't mind looking further afield put ME in instead, I just did this and found a few stockists in Kent.

However it has been 40+ years since I bought model railways in Kent and I think the last thing I bought was a Lima Gauge O train set with a 4F and 2 BR Mark 1s., from a shop in Gillingham. Great Fun carrying the thing back on the train to Herne Bay!! 😆

It's such a shame so many model shops have closed.  It's so frustrating when model maazines exhort us to use them or lose them and believ you me we would if we could if there were any nearby.

Of course when you move to a town that has a large well advertised model centre and it turns out to be owned and run by a grumpy, chain smoking person who does not belive in giving refunds or even labelling stock it is frustrating.  However I was lucky and a fantastic new place opened up on Alder Hills Road in Poole.

I am lucky in that I have a good model rail shop with good stocks and a repair and customise service ie weathering name / number change etc about 2 miles from where I live. In fact they gave away a printed scenic sheet in Hornby Magazine a couple of months back and on that sheet was a local bakery near to them "Tomlins" I can recommend them and feel that without mentioning the name correctly "dirty clocks" is a hint.

Last time I went there, It was called Railway Junction, I think. Have they replaced that awkward narrow double door and step down? I presume it has changed owners.

Yes the door is still there but the inside no step and it is well laid out and Steve is very helpful.It use to be a butchers many years back called Kenny Ashtons. Then it became Railway Junction and now Grimy Times. There is quite a good stock of many items.

Yes to Chrissaf it is Grimy Times and it is a very nice little shop as well. I bought the Huntley and Palmers set there last week. I had lost a lot of interest in railways over the last 6 months or so and it was my wife who suggested going to have a look again for a Christmas present. As I was going to Tomlins for their delicious pies (a shop on the free Hornby Mag sheet.) it seemed a good idea.

It's such a shame so many model shops have closed.  It's so frustrating when model maazines exhort us to use them or lose them and believ you me we would if we could if there were any nearby.

Of course when you move to a town that has a large well advertised model centre and it turns out to be owned and run by a grumpy, chain smoking person who does not belive in giving refunds or even labelling stock it is frustrating.  However I was lucky and a fantastic new place opened up on Alder Hills Road in Poole.

Hello steamy. This is very interesting. I was a frequent visitor to the great old shop on Holdenhurst Road and built up most of my 2 layouts over the past four years from buying their rails etc etc. and some locos. Very sad they closed due to Derek's retirement. I am not very mobile but will get into my old Kangoo and trundle along to Alder Hills after the New Year. I live on Castle Lane E. and would welcome a visit if you feel like contacting Adam for my email address. I am getting near completing my no. 2 layout but comments and advice would be helpful I'm sure.  Kind regards, Jimbo.