What glue do you use for buildings?

keithp1707821843

Ideally you should use a polystyrene cement (e.g. Humbrol Precision Poly or Revell Contacta Professional ) or a liquid poly (e.g. Humbrol Liquid Poly, or Slaters Mekpak) for plastic building kits.  The liquid poly should be applied sparingly with a small paint brush (a cheap one) .

Polystyrene cement can be messy unless you are very careful, it can dribble all over places you don't want it to.  Also there is a danger you spill the liquid poly if you knock it over with the brush and the mess is horrible. I keep my bottle of liquid poly in an old coffee mug, in my case my old Railtrack one, all the time the screw cap is off. 

Other glues may not work (PVA is hopeless, it will peel off). Or some may melt the plastic (UHU is notorious for eating plastic). It is possible to use a cyanoacrylate (super glue) but this has a nasty habit of sticking things you don't want to glue, such as finger tips. I prefer to keep this for detail work.

You can use any glue suitable for plastic  kits. Told you my favourite.

Ok I saw that. Unfortuately none of the toy shops, craft shops or anyone else sells anything like the ones already suggested. The only glue I could find that mioght work is Bostik Super glue, all the othes say not suitable for polystyrene. This one says it won't work on soft plastic, well the kit is hard, so that is the best I can find. That is why I was interested in what other people have used.

Ok thanks for the link. I ws hoping to find something local to avoid postage (its less than £2, so postage is more than the item!), which is why I wondered if the Bostik would actually do. I was surprised the shops that sold aitfix kits did not sell the glue - it comes with the kits that said. At the moment this is the first kit I have tried (since the 1970's) so that is why I am wondering if the Bostik glue would be ok.

You could nick the other half’s nail varnish remover (acetone), which is as good a plstic glue as MEK. It works like most solvents by destroying the plastic at molecular level and making a glue.

With hard styrene plastics a little solvent melts the edges, but with soft styrene like coffeee cups, food packaging, it will reduce the whole thing into a sticky mess that can be used as glue.

Acetone can be bought in most DIY stores under various names for gluing plastic waste pipes together.

As with all solvents make sure they are used in a well ventilated area and do not breath the fumes, as they are known to cause brain damage.

Hi Keihtp

Any polystyrene cement my preferred brand is Tamiya.

Any hobby shop or shop selling plastic kits should have it I prefer the jars with the white and green lid one is thinner than the other.

Don't forget if pre-painting parts the paint will have to be scraped off the surfaces where the glue goes for joining together.

A hamster food bowl is handy as a glue bottle holder to prevent spills the Tamiya glue has a brush attached to the lid use in a well ventilated area this goes for all brands of polystyrene cement.

The fumes are not good for you and the resulting verbal assault by the domestic authorities for failing to ventilate the area and stinking the house out with glue fumes is not pretty either.

A building kit corner clamp if you can get a small enough one will be very handy for holding walls while you cement them together and will hold the walls square while the cement dries enough to hold the walls

regards John