Motor buzzing no movement

TrainDriverJ

I have a tram kit that has a 12v motor. However when power is applied (ordinary Hornby 12v DC controller) the motor buzzes on the track but does not move in either direction. Does this mean the motor is stuck and/or beyond repair?

You can still get parts, and to buy one is an option, however they are £30 with postage.

Is there a DIY option or anything at all I could do or try before buying a replacement?

I have attached a photo of the motor if this helps at all.

Thanks/media/tinymce_upload/fffc611319c6ed43656958301f3fb2f8.jpg

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yes I have, it turns. But it is not really freely, it does feel a bit stiff. Should it be very loose and very easy to turn? I could put a bit of oil on the spindles at each end to see if it frees further and try turning for a longer time. I was reluctant to do this in case it would cause damage but if it does not I could give it a go. Don’t see what else I can do anyway?

The brushes seem okay and move easily in and out but can’t see any arcing?

The buzzing does not increase in volume as I turn the power up if this means anything?

The commutator is pretty black. Can I use a small cotton bud dipped in isopropanol?

I have lubricated the spindle ends and the cogs with 1 drop of oil it seems to be move more freely. Don’t know whether this will work? How long do I leave it after using liquid on the commutator before I can try it or is there another method?

Jane2 your eyes are way better than mine. The whole thing looks pretty central to me on my desk. There doesn’t look like any obvious wobble in the turning to me. And it looks central in between the magnets.

Thanks

There is signs of life!!!!

I have tried it again. No buzzing and it spins slowly occassionally and moves forward occassionly albeit with a little bit of a push from the hand of god.

It's not viable yet so I'll keep going for a while with the recommendations.

Thanks everybody so far. John

Don't let the motor get too hot!  It is likely to get rather hot if it is struggling to turn and overheating could be disasterous!

It's possible that the magnet is weak and that could be another cause of the slow running, besides dry bearings, and could also lead to overheating.

Okay. Loads more cleaning and a couple more drops of oil. It is turning a lot more freely now.

I am getting it to run in one direction from a stop and it's also controllable to a slower speed. However, in the other direction it fails to start sometimes unless pushed and judders along but usually makes it to the end of the track. Any ideas what could be causing this behaviour? It looks pretty damn clean now were it looked burnt so probably no more to do there. Would running it for much longer help?

So far I reckon a 7 out of 10 with the help of you guys.

Rog

I have run it up and down quite a few times now and it doesn't appear to be getting overly hot although I will watch for this. I don't know how long it would take before I could say this aspect was okay. The magnets on either side can gently pull a normal size paper clip from my fingers don't know if this would be considered sufficient?

Thanks. John

I suspect (hope!) that Jane means that you should carefully clean out the tiny gap between the segments of the commutator. DO NOT break the tiny wires that feed the motor coils!

If you do that, the motor is dead!

-

You say 'ordinary Hornby dc controller' - which one, the dead cheap trainset one with about as much power as a dehydrated greenfly, or a decent one - an H+M or similar?

Okay

Done that Jane2. It is actually running quite well now and is completely controllable in one direction. The juddering has also improved in the other. I don't know why but I tried balancing a small weight (none metallic) on top and this has improved this no end as it actually runs all the way along now with this on without juddering. Maybe when I put the tram weight on it (when built of course) it will work?

This is an excellent result with all your help from something I would have given up on. I probably wouldn't have bought another for £30. I think we are definitely up to a 9 out of 10. Many thanks. Off for my tea now and a bit of tele relaxation.

Ericm0hff

When I looked at it on the table I guessed that was what Jane meant however your description is more specific. Anyway got it right.

Yes it is the poor controller. I have DCC for my trains and this is what I got when I bought one of the train sets ages ago. I thought it would be okay for this though as I don't have another.

Thanks

Okay

Done that Jane2. It is actually running quite well now and is completely controllable in one direction. The juddering has also improved in the other. I don't know why but I tried balancing a small weight (none metallic) on top and this has improved this no end as it actually runs all the way along now with this on without juddering. Maybe when I put the tram weight on it (when built of course) it will work?

This is an excellent result with all your help from something I would have given up on. I probably wouldn't have bought another for £30. I think we are definitely up to a 9 out of 10. Many thanks. Off for my tea now and a bit of tele relaxation.

Probably best to run in for a spell to let the bushes bed in 

That is the carbon bushes ,not the rose bushes .

Yes it is the poor controller. I have DCC for my trains and this is what I got when I bought one of the train sets ages ago. I thought it would be okay for this though as I don't have another.

In the abscence of a decent controller just lash a 9v battery to the track or just press it to the wheels for instant testing . It will run happily at that voltage, not too slow and not flat out.