what's your latest build (newly started).

mark_75

Whats everybody doing? i have just finished building and painting my second P-51 Mustang 1A, with cannons and snout guns, yellow stripes above and below the wings; just needs its decals and its ready for the cabinet (after the Matt Cote)!

My next build is, yes; another Mustang! 😮 This one is an Academy kit of a P-51B or C, it comes with the choice of the B version, closed and open canopy, and the Malcolm hood, much favoured by the RAF for better visiblity, it too has a choice of open or closed! Thats why i bought this kit; i'll make mine the Malcolm hood version.

It comes with colourcharts/plans for three different P-51s, this one will be Ralf "Kid" Hofers P-51C, (334th FS, 4th FG) it will be silver, and olive drab! It should be a nice kit to build, certainly looks like being a good one and will finish my Mustang group for now until i can find a half decent A-36 Apache kit, that would fully complete the group.

I'm getting a second larger glass cbinet in the new year, to display my aircraft in and my list is about 50 aircraft long! It will consist of die cast and kit built models, the die cast ones on their stands and the models all built with the landing gear down, my latest die cast is a Corgi SBD Dauntless in 1:72 making no. 12 in die cast USAAF and US Navy aircraft. 

Whats your recently started kit?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My latest build is a 1:48th Scale Revell Henschel Hs123 A-1. I've been struggling to get it finished due to it being a bit of a pig of a kit compared to the new Airfix kits and time with difficult life issues! But it's almost done so I can get started on a Red Boxed kit!! 

Yes, older kits can be troublesome too, and life does get in the way too (hope you're okay?), when i first got back to it i had three on the go and found it frustrating because my health was an issue and often i just had to go and lie down, or do something else for a while as my concentration isnt galways good, at those times its better to listen to what our body is telling us; it can be kinder for the model too! I just take my time; even with decals i tend to do the wings one day and matt-cote them, let them dry overnight and then do the fuselage decals the next day, saves my big clumsy fingers from removing them again! I take what time i need; its meant to be enjoyed although it does throw out a challenge at times!

Yes I'm fine thanks it was my dad's poor health and moving him into a Nursing Home that restricted my modelling time but I'm sure I'm not alone with such struggles. But normally I enjoy my modelling and it helps me unwind, even a difficult kit! But as you say it's best to take your time cos I have spoilt 1 or 2 models over the years by trying to rush the process?? 

My current project is a rather long-winded thing. I had a partial Revell Dornier Do17Z and a second-hand Airfix Do17E/F, and had the mad idea I could combine the wings and tail from the former with the fuselage from the latter to make a Do17P. Throw in some aftermarket PE and resin main wheels, and I think it'll end up looking okay.

Well, it's kept me quiet for a year or so, on and off. 

Yes I'm fine thanks it was my dad's poor health and moving him into a Nursing Home that restricted my modelling time but I'm sure I'm not alone with such struggles. But normally I enjoy my modelling and it helps me unwind, even a difficult kit! But as you say it's best to take your time cos I have spoilt 1 or 2 models over the years by trying to rush the process?? 

Good i'm glad you're okay but i know that wont be easy! Personally i suffer from stress, anxiety and depression, and have not worked since 2014, i am feeling a bit better but its kinda like a rollercoaster ride much of the time. If i am agitated or stressed, even tired, then i dont go near the room i do my kits. Some days i get tons done, other days i just have a few minutes and do something simple and easy; today i started building my latest P-51, and i started the decals on the one i have finished building; i'll do the ones on the fuselage tomorrow and then give those a coat of matt lacquer. I did the wing decals today and then matt coated it two or three hours later, i never do ALL the decals at one time because my big ol' clumsy hands can take them back off so i split the job into easier stages!

I made the wings and the main part of the fuselage, painted all the interiors and the cockpit, i've left the fuselage pinned together with wooden pegs (the spring type) and croc clips while the glue cures. I also painted the wheels but they need some more tickling! Wont take long to do, the tail assembly needs to be painted inside and then put together and on the rest of the fuselage, and the tailwheel doors are already on the assembly in this kit (i'm glad cos they can be mighty fiddly!). This 'stang with have the larger drop tanks on and the Malcolm hood, and i'll leave the hood open! I've got my eyes on a P-82 Double Mustang too! 😆 

I've still to make up my mind if it will be a paint job with or without invasion stripes, i bought 6mm masking tape today in case i do go for it. Still to get it completed yet! (all in good time, lol).

I will. It is at least 50% Airfix, so I'm sure I'll be able to sneak a photo in when it's done!  😇 😉

Yayy! Its great to see a lady modeller, not many lady kit builders around! I did kits when i were nobut a lad! and then did them again in my 30's, 20 odd years back. I just restarted again in ealy November this year.

Hi, I’m on the home stretch with the 1/48 “Hasslegawa” P40e Warhawk. Anyone who has built this one will know there is a lot of filling, sanding and scribing as the fuselage halves come in about 4 parts and then there is gun inserts in the wings! I’ve lost a couple of tiny parts to the carpet monster and had airbrush issues, surprisingly, it‘s come together ok. I’m going to build the Airfix 1/48 von Werra Bf 109e next. Looking forward to that one.

Cheers, Stuart.

Oh were to begin, I currently have 7 kits in various stages of construction (newest first)

• Tamiya 1/48th Scale British Achilles M10 IIC - painted & decaled, which is awaiting weathering.
  • Airfix 1/72nd Scale RAF Air Sea Rescue - progress is shown on here.
  • Revell 1/72nd Scale Flower Class Corvette HMCS Snowberry - ongoing commission build, I'm currently building superstructure.
  • Trumpeter 1/48th Scale Supermarine Attacker - built needs painting
  • Eduard 1/48th Scale Hawker Typhoon IB - virtually built (awful kit)
  • Academy 1/72nd B-29A Superfortress - built, filling and sanding done, needs rescribing before painting.
  • Airfix 1/48th Scale DH Sea Vixen - built, requires filling before painting.

Yayy! Its great to see a lady modeller, not many lady kit builders around! 

😆

There's a few of us about. I was introduced to plastic kits when I was little and "helped" my Dad build things. My sister and I also shared a doll's house, and we both used to make things for it - with me preferring the mechanical things, of course!

It can be an absorbing hobby, what with the multi-faceted research, history, understanding how and why something was made to do a specific job. I find things mechanical and technical endlessly fascinating, and I like to know how they work. I have now been a professional model maker for seven years, building model railway locos and coaches for clients around the world. 

Yayy! Its great to see a lady modeller, not many lady kit builders around! 

😆

There's a few of us about. I was introduced to plastic kits when I was little and "helped" my Dad build things. My sister and I also shared a doll's house, and we both used to make things for it - with me preferring the mechanical things, of course!

It can be an absorbing hobby, what with the multi-faceted research, history, understanding how and why something was made to do a specific job. I find things mechanical and technical endlessly fascinating, and I like to know how they work. I have now been a professional model maker for seven years, building model railway locos and coaches for clients around the world. 

Indeed it IS an absorbing hobby! It really absorbs the time in a day! I dont work now so i help with housekeeping and do my modelling once i have finished about the house but i've seen me sitting down "just to get this little job done for later..." but being there for an easy four hours!

If you want a good kit/good build its always better to take as much time that is needed, plan ahead by pre-painting things like landing gear, cockpit area, insides etc before it all goes together! Researching is so much easier now with the readily available internet and the sheer volume of info that is available in it. For cockpit instalation i now build it up and THEN paint it, leaving 'paint-free' the areas that are to be glued; paint and glue just doesnt do! (not in the same place). I am steadily improving now, my kits are getting better and i'm learning and rediscovering tricks i used a few years back! Great hobby! 😀

• 3 weeks later...

kitbashing an Airfix 1/600 Rommel destroyer into the USS Charles F Adams DDG-2 with the non sonar dome bow foot & twin arm mk 11 missile launcher. i've cutout the sonar dome & filled the gap with thick plastic then started to shape it last night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Aussie Jeff, any pictures please? Thank you in advanced.  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

I'll be starting a new build post on the Swordfish soon. As for the Boomerang I've posed it next to my AIRFIX Tiger Moth as they make a nice pair - hopefully Admin will approve the pics.  Hope to add a Buffalo, Shrike and a Wirraway (unfortunately all non-Airfix) to this little collection of RAAF aircraft that also includes a Kittyhawk which is a replica of 'Polly' as displayed at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra - pic below.

/media/tinymce_upload/7c9cbaeba90447fbd9272a8861bbb842.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/1cc433dfa0343e307f3482b12f71450f.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/6e058de6c4a63c1d420191a316852142.jpg

I'm not sure if this reply should go here or under 'What's your latest build?' but as it is the time and space afforded by the Corona Virus restrictions that has given me the impetus to start modell making again, i've posted it here

As i've posted in the New Members section, I have returned to model making after a gap of many years, and have started to unearth and sort out my stash of old kits

I have these 1/72 Hawker Hurricane kits -

3X Airfix Mk 1/Mk11B/Mk1V

2X Revell Mk1 with alternate 2 or 3 bladed prop versions

2X Frog Mk11C

1X Revell SeaHurricane Mk11C

1X Humbrol/Heller Mk11C

In my spares box I have a made up but broken Airfix Mk11C and an old version Airfix Boulton Paul Defiant

I'll salvage the radiator baths off them to go on the Frog kits. Alright, the Defiant one might not be absolutely accurate, but it's very similar, and better than the Frog part

Between these there are enough variations of Marks and colour schemes, so I'll be making them more or less straight from the box

I also have 2 of the original Airfix Hurricanes from the 1950s? but I don't think it's worth trying to make them up, they can go into the spares box

I'll start with the Revell Mk1 s