Track extension packs not what expected

turkeylegs

I just recieved track extension packs C, D and E to what I thought would near enough finish my trakmat layout for my flying Scotsmen train set. I ordered the track sets according to what it said on the box of my flying Scotsmen set.

But on getting the track packs they don't match up to what I was expecting. They seem to be meant for a different design of trakmat?

Disappointing isn't the word, please help me try to add them to my new layout as I'm stumped. 

Many thanks

Take a look at the sticky post at top of the page and from there download the pdf which shows the track extensions and various trackmat formats.

There have been several trackmats variants over the years, some paper and some felt material.

/media/tinymce_upload/b99000a55014e8716522008e91e7fa72.png

How old is the Flying Scotsman set?  Hornby changed their standard trackmat some time ago.  The older one, that came in the Scotsman set I got many years ago (tender drive version, possibly around 2004??) featured 1st radius curves that many newer, more detailed models aren't good at running on.  My set had 2nd radius curves in it, but the extension packs must have built up a complete oval of first radius as well.  I imagine that the extension packs' contents changed at about the same time the standard oval changed from 2nd to 3rd radius curves.

If you look at top left and top right trackmats in the picture they are both described as R8217 but in fact each has a slightly different layout, one of which matches the plans in Chris’s document and one matches what you say is your plan. The trackmat is just a guide and many folk dispense with it as they develop and modify their own extended plans.

The bottom right picture is mine RAF 96.

Iv had the train set for 12 years or more but was left under the bed in its box unused The Doc. 

That explains it.  You have got the older style of trackmat, but have bought extension packs that are appropriate for the newer trackmat - unfortunately they don't match up.  I would go with RAF96's suggestion of ditching the trackmat and building a layout to your own design.  Have fun playing with the pieces and seeing what you can come up with.

As advised to you above. There is now a newer trackmat and extension packs. Unfortunately, as you have discovered, your newer extension packs do not match your older trackmat.

However, If you are determined you want to go with the old track mat design which I believe is Hornby R8011 see here -

https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/track_mats/r8011_trakmat.htm

Then this page -

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/old-track-mat/

will give you a list of all the components you need. You will of course be able to use some of the components you have already bought in the newer track packs.

Bear in mind the caveats given to you above about 1st radius curves. Not Good!

turkeylegs (I like your username actually!  😆), welcome to the Hornby Forum.  😀

It's shame that your Flying Scotsman Train Set is sold old that it does not match the current Track Extension Packs that you have bought do not fit together as the rear of the Train Set box states. It's not clear on the boxes, they are uselsss for older Train Sets, unless the owner wants to create their own layout with the track you they have.

Finding the original Track Extension Packs as advertised on the rear of your Flying Scotsman Train Box will be difficult but also expensive, so I advise that you come up with your own layout you have curently, with the track you have got; Like the others have said.

Addtional starights, curves, points, crossings, etc, are available as seperately sold items, if you run out of a particular track item that you want.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Many thanks all for the replies and help.

I had an idea while I was trying to figure out what to do, and because I recieved the Cornish Carrier and Christmas Train sets for Christmas I got the new trakmat out of the Cornish Carrier set and laid out the oval adding to it from my flying Scotsmen set so it was up to A and B. Then I carried on with the C D and E packs.

I must admit the new trakmat isn't as good as the old but at least I'm up and running. 

One other problem is with this design the trains can only go from the outer track to the inner but not from the inner to the other without reversing onto the outer track first. Id like to go in the same direction to go back out onto the outer track too. Any ideas anyone or am I doing something wrong.

Sorry it took so long to reply as the forum won't let me post more than twice a day. 

How do you tell which is left and which is right handed? 

Quite simple really the curved section of the point swings off to either the right or left side of the straight section. Think of it like this, look at the palms of your hands your thumbs are on the outside of each hand, pointing either left or right........

No. To cross from one track to another you need two left or two right depending on the direction of travel to go from inner to outer or outer to inner. 

For instance if the loco travels clockwise on the outer circuit it will need right hand points  to enter the inner. If it travels  anti-clockwise on the outer it will need left hand points. 

I don't see what there is to get confused about.

As I read your post, you have your trains currently performing a certain manoeuvre and you want them to perform the opposite manoeuvre on the other side of the layout.

If you want the trains to do the opposite manoeuvre then you simply use two points of the opposite hand to the ones you currently have in use.

If you have two right hand points (as I read your post) then you will now need two left hand points

Jimyjames that's the mat, it's as it is with the track and I want to go from the inner track to the outer track at the top of the mat next to the siding at the top. 

Norman q4 I'm very new to this and don't know the terms used ect. Also until I'm familiar with the basics it can get confusing learning which way is left or right on tracks that go both ways.

I'm sorry I'm not as quick as you would like in picking up on these things. 

The points at the bottom of the mat are right hand. As you enter them from one end you can only go straight on but if you enter from the other end you can go straight on or turn right. 

So to do the same at the top of the mat in the other direction you will need two left hand points. 

This is exactly the same as Norman said. You are either turning right or left. 

Take a look at this.        https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/nomenclature-of-turnouts/?p=1