Thomas train rear wheel wobbling

Bondyz

Hi all. 

I am very new to model railways myself and for Christmas I bought my son a second hand Thomas train to go on my layout. When I put it on the track it kept derailing and shaking from side to side alot. I checked the wheels and found that the rear set of the 3 wheels are moving badly up and Down inside the chassis. I have taken the body off and took the underside off the chassis to have a look but as I said I'm a novice to this I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. I noticed on the front 2 sets of wheels there is 2 gold bits around each shaft I guess to hold them in place but there isn't any on the rear set but I doesn't look as tho there should be any

I removed the wheels and saw some springs underneath the rear shaft but I can't work out why the wheels are moving so serverly? I'm not sure of there's a bit missing or anything I was hoping someone might be able to help me resolve this issue as my son is devestated that his train doesn't work. 

Thankyou in advance 

Hi Bondyz, Others more mechanically minded than me may need to know a liitle more information about the Thomas locomotive in question.

Does it have China on the Base either with or without a date or does it say 'Made in Great Britain'?

Have the middle wheels got rubber bands (traction tyres) round?

Are all the coupling rods as per photos?

Photo, top one UK, early and late Chinese versions.

/media/tinymce_upload/ab1107e8e4d3117e33f40c02ef3a53b1.JPG

View of chassis UK and Chinese.

/media/tinymce_upload/d8451e5db81370f8c4b2419a4f66d7b0.JPG

Yeh, one traction tyre missing.

/media/tinymce_upload/67d1e8f8275f4aa20fb98b61f91f488e.jpg/media/tinymce_upload/d3b06e1ea5289303f3e4168ef8d7b359.jpgthanks for the reply it does say made in China on the base and does have traction wheels on both sides. I think its the middle one of the pictures you sent. It's the rear wheels that are moving up and down in the chassis itself just causing constant derailment and losing power due to jumping around so much /media/tinymce_upload/40f71e9c999e25746264d458d19b896e.jpgits the wheels on the left side of the last pic that's wobbling around.

Thanks again. And sorry won't be able to reply again until tomorrow because of the 2 reply limit. 

It may be that the springs above the rear axle have lost their flexibility due to foreign matter (dirt, congealed oil, etc.) collecting in the channels in which they sit, or they may have been compressed to the extent that they are no longer applying downward pressure on the axle, allowing the wheels to "wobble".  If that is the case, clean out the channels and, if necessary, try to extend the springs slightly.  When the plastic chassis bottom is in place, the axle should be sitting immediately on top of it but you should be able to push each of the wheels gently upwards.  It is correct that the rear axle does not have bearings.  Both centre wheels should have traction tyres if the wheels have grooves to take them. 

GS

Hi all thanks for the suggestions so far. I will try and clean out the spring holes this evening and maybe stretch the springs slightly if needed and see if that helps any. It has got both traction tires on the loco. It is the China made model I believe the middle one of the 3 pictured. 

Thanks again 

If you stretch the springs too much then you run the risk of lifting the traction tyres off the rails and going nowhere. I think the official blurb used to say to pack the springs up with card washers, like the bits you find in a hole punch.