Space for a layout.

Trainmodeller35

I'm struggling to find space in my house for a model railway layout. I'm new to model railways and recently got an OO gauge loop of track and a train. I'm trying to find an area to set up a baseboard but can't find anywhere. Friends have told me to instead go with N gauge but I really like OO and I already have the track. If anyone has any good suggestions it would be great!

You can have a board that folds down from the wall, one that comes down from the ceiling or several small ones that plug together. You could have a small shelf end to end layout but it is very difficult for us to recommend anything because we haven't been to your house. 

If you are really short of space do as suggested, sell what you have and go N gauge. 

Hi Trainmodler35, Welcome to the forum.

May I suggest you do a rougth sketch on paper of the sites in your property you consider most suitable.

The plan does'nt have to be to scale but such items as measurements, and any doors or windows must be included.

Take a photo of it, then upload, you may have to wait a day or two for it to be approved by admin.

There are many experienced members on her who would be only to glad to give their opinions on how to proceed.

This is an example of a hinged wall mounted board.........HB

/media/tinymce_upload/57bd0c7cab1322529d9cc6291d8d9bc5.jpg

Good suggestion. And if you want to make it more attractive to the eye you could use white mini-trunking for the wires or cover the spaces between the legs with a sheet of plywood and add pictures .... of trains, of course !  😀

HI

I am also very new to this hobby - one thing I can tell you eveyone is really friendly & helpful - so ask all the time. I have also struggled with space - and also the concepts of creating a 'layout' rather than a train set. SO I have gone for a very simple first layout. It is 4' X 1', not an oval, but the idea is to have something that is easy to set up, stores easily and most important allows me to have a go at all the basics of creating a model railway - Adding ballast, grass, etc. If I was you I would go fo the simple idea at first and then build once you have the skills and have found some space.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Hi, just noticed your post, I had the same problem so I built a base board 4.2M x 1.8M and put in 2 winches run off mains power each is capable of lifting 400kg so 800kg total my board can be lifted by 2 strong removing men (which did happen) I now push 2 buttons and raise it up to the roof, also no more on hands and knees to work under it and can lower it to the floor and walk on it if required, my bigest problem was had to put in enough supports so would not bend, timber is 10ply with 100mm x 20mm beams around edge and square support through the centre, can be lowered to 2 saw horses just like a large table, this is my 3rd after 4 houses, this one is in a shed, so if you have a garage it's about the same size of a car, lift up park under it, when mine is lifted up it's about 2M off the floor just a good height to work on and I can leave my trains on the board at all times.