Radio Control

Guest Chrissaf

Hornby previously produced a Radio Control & Sound System, as part of the Thomas & Friends range, back in the early 2000’s (R9060).

The same Radio Control & Sound System was also part of R9044 Toby Electric Train Set and the R9045 Thomas & Percy Electric Train Set, both part of the Hornby Thomas & Friends range also.

These three products are difficult to find these days and are usually expensive.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Eric on this forum has built an RC loco to haul his track cleaner. In general, the main issue with RC controlled locos is finding space for the batteries. Before someone says use track power to replace the batteries, then what would be the point. The track power is already being used to control the trains in currently available control systems. Then there is the issue of what do you connect the RC radio receiver to. Current commercially available servos would take up too much space in an 00 loco and RC electronic motor controllers are probably designed for far higher currents than those used by 00 loco motors. Thus in my opinion it will only ever be a niche market and not have widespread manufacturer support to develop loco specific RC electronics. Possibly would be OK for the larger scales above 00 though, where internal space is not so much of an issue, particularly for large scale garden layouts.

Radio control works best with large gauge (Gauge 1 ,  SM32,  etc. ) live steam battery or diesel powered locomotives in the garden. There are some really exciting models, although you do need a fairly healthy bank balance!

You can. Google it.  😀

You could, but isn't that what this forum is for ?

No I don't think it is, that's what Google etc. is for. 

When that type of question is asked I reckon most of us look it up.

Surely the forum is mainly for 'how do I' and 'I'm have a problem with' types of question.  😆

Personally I don't think it matters where the answer comes from as long as the question is answered. There will be folk who find technology a little more challenging.

Many times Google is used by someone on here and a link supplied by way of answer. That is perfectly acceptable. R-