The Russet Lines - a model railway project

96RAF

Both main modules erected and existing track inventory laid out for comparison with the SCARM track-plan bill of materials, so that a buying list can be written up. As I am switching from regular to express points and I need eight of each hand the parts bill is quite a bit.

To reduce the overall outlay I have rationalised each set track straight into an equivalent length of semi-flex track, which virtually halves the cost.

Next job is to start on the bridging sections, fixed at the far end and removable at this end, but first I have to check each main module is at the same height across the room. Laser level time methinks.

/media/tinymce_upload/c0e9d641d9abea1d8d03bdaddc64f35c.JPG

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Main boards levelled side to side. Bridging units being planned in more detail.

Full size printouts being used to establish key locations so that maximum use can be made of semi-flex track.

/media/tinymce_upload/f6debd898dc6b1d109cd300855388f54.jpg

Hi Rob.  Have you considered a dog-bone configuration to avoid having the nuisance of bridging units ?  OK this woud entail maybe widening your board a little at each end to accommodate a decent radius. Then you could squeeze into the centre without having to do more than holding your breath.   I used the dog-bone on my latest layout and find it very convenient.

Jimbo

To get a double track turnaround I would need four feet either side in a room that is eight foot six wide. A tad narrow gap for my frame to slip through.

The operating station is outside the box so access will only be required for derails or occassional rake remustering.

Had there been a side door to the room then I would have opted for a previous design which had a four foot turnaround to one side of the door under the window and another to the other side of the door with a long run down the room that was only two feet wide. The picture is on the other PC, else I would have simply posted it instead of blethering on about it.

Bit more progress today.

The far end drop valley is installed. Two bridges to go over that - one a viaduct with a point leading off to the left - the other I think will be a laser cut bow string girder bridge about 18” long. The grey board will be cut to the valley profile later.

/media/tinymce_upload/c0c9fee9570b653d233fab28ed648924.JPG

At this end I have mocked up the liftout section. 

With the section in place the main bus feeds the bridge bus and also back to the isolated sections either side of the gap.

With the section removed main bus power to the isolated sections Is interrupted.

The plug together choc block connectors act as both location and power transfer.

/media/tinymce_upload/8b1efdd17ceeb27e68dc706c17953891.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/74796f099e3c4e019a11e7a46924129e.JPG

Here’s how it works Rog

The links wires either side are via the choc block connectors. The main bus connects from one side only to preclude closing the ‘ring main’.

/media/tinymce_upload/74560450de553581f4bd18e1c1a23cf0.jpg

...Have you considered a dog-bone configuration to avoid having the nuisance of bridging units ?  ...I used the dog-bone on my latest layout and find it very convenient.

Jimbo - this was the original garage plan but I don't have the side door so couldn't use it.

Benchwork

/media/tinymce_upload/94c33322d76e9aaa0f63f1d9ec6662a8.JPG

And from the opposite side with the start of a bit of scenery sketched in.

/media/tinymce_upload/e546eaa9179334e7a874ec7e023668cc.JPG

Turnaround at each end by way of tunnels,

Rog has pointed out a slip of the pencil as the bus wires cross at top right hand corner and the main bus to bridge got tangled up as well - you all knew what I meant. A-A and B-B all round.

Here is a corrected version

/media/tinymce_upload/6f6506a18b910542d89c4a350f7cabfe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress - track laid to plan to allow accurate marking out of boards for elevated sections.

Can’t say that I am very impressed with this flexi track. A right faff and I‘ve only used it for straight bits so far, not curves.

/media/tinymce_upload/fbd6d000ec4a77f27a0179b1f9fd0759.JPG

The 2 ft long bowstring bridge was easy to make, but needs a bit of fettling before I can paint it. Its made from 3 mm ply not the usual thin MDF.

/media/tinymce_upload/1cd0c141159ee6920ff8ae8ca84a50e9.JPG

I have a yard long metal rule that I use as my track laying straight edge. It is semi-flex R8090,  but it bends out of shape too easily when you are mating it with other track pieces. Simply straightened again but all a bit fiddly. I’m using Peco SL rail joiners which are a bit softer than Hornby ones, but it was all the shop had.

The bridge looks rusty Jacob, because the ply edges are burnt by the laser cutter, although there is some very fine detail burnt into it. It needs a little bit of filling and sanding to give the girders a more solid look and then a couple of thin coats of paint (silver, black, ??), thin so that the finer detail is not lost. Good value at £18 with free P&P. 

I am pressing on before the enthusiasm runs out. You know once I get a train running, I will be doing that instead of getting on with the rest of it.

Progress today.

The bowstring bridge gets some support columns (adjustable kitchen cabinet legs).

Hi level bridge approach to the lift out section is taking shape now that the elevated section at this side is in place.

A few old Metcalfe bits have been placed at random to help visualise where buildings need to go. Starting to get some idea of free scenic space and if track needs further adjustment.

/media/tinymce_upload/189a624f4c4ac0e5276fb78f57a6c567.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/570ae639c36fe13d01e72470c8afd8c0.JPG

The high level S curve bit extends across the lift out section using straight bits of track on a bridge. I have to build the bridge/viaduct/whatever up to that break point, then construct the lift out section high level bridge to match. As you can see the left hand side track needs an elevated section to allow a gradual run down to the station/goods area/etc further along that LH board.

There will also be a low level bridge from the underpass curves.

This is the liftout river bed board in place. There will be a suitable embankment/jetty/dockside in there somewhere.

/media/tinymce_upload/830e4dd9cea8bee1e190cf996fe255b0.JPG

Starting to look more like a layout now.

Elevated section from the liftout access board running down to what will be a Metcalfe kit coal drop in the loop (between those two small huts) with main sidings set out at low level. The diesel loco servicing road now has an escape point from this end of the sidings.

/media/tinymce_upload/6d618cd7313c557a4ddadff38a2d26b2.JPG

Far end bridges and viaduct section. Still pondering the details of this bit. The fascia board will be profiled to match the drop valley terrain.

/media/tinymce_upload/33985bc60ec046e5ef20b3bc6e10f61e.JPG

Right hand side will now have the main station at low level with a DMU bay and Goods Depot at high level. I can also fit in a DC tram auto-shuttle along the gap between the station and the engine shed road exiting off stage through the tunnel under that points complex where the tender is.

There is a bit of room for some industry associated with a dock on the lift out board and some shops and houses along the centre well edge.

/media/tinymce_upload/0df151a495b59b24a6b3cf2ae4115408.JPG

Looking very good Rob.

Great wordworking skills.

Will be interested to seeing how you get on with the lift out section.

Me too Pete. Those plug in choc block connectors are a tad awkward to engage on a drop in board. I am wondering if making it slide out would be easier with the connectors at the back.

The sides of the gap act as accurate guides Pete, but it needs a fore-aft guide as well. The problem is getting the choc-bloks aligned spot on. I may try countersinking the hole bit to help with initial engagement. The other way is instead of a block at each corner just have a wider one in the middle at each side with some guide dowels at the corners and possibly some old HDD neo magnets to hold it firmly in place. A job for another day, when it will all literally just drop into place.

It is track pinning next to fix the geometry so I can start wiring, but pin pushing is a back breaking, boring task. Almost as bad as soldering droppers. I remembered to put the IRJs in for the isolated sections so nothing will fall onto the floor during test runs.

Most of the track is down, aligned and pInned - apart from the lift-out section. May clip a power supply on tomorrow and do some ringing out to see if all the points have continuity, etc before starting on laying in the track bus wiring.

Bowstring bridge painted and installed. Viaduct mocked up to gauge effect. End result will depend upon Metcalfe kit arch spacing. If that centre support is visible I shall use my old mirror tile trick to lose it.

/media/tinymce_upload/fc369d6885a88a60bdf851876acdf1dc.JPG

Rob in case you don't know, arches are 4 inches wide and 5 1/8 inches between centres. 

Thanks Brian. The ones I drew round were the Hornby R180 plastic clip together one. Probably nothing like the same size.

I was trying to avoid opening the Metcalfe pack because I would get itchy fingers to start building it and there are other things to do first.