Hornby Skaledale Mine building arrangement

Ian Edgar

Hi,

I have the Skaledale colliery (mine) buildings but cannot work out how they should be laid out properly, I want to add the winch ropes to the main headstock building (R9628) wheels but I’m confused what they would be attached to. Should the ropes come onto the Headstock sub-station (R8774) wheels with the supposed electrical drive drums being in the building within it. Or should the ropes go into the Upper Shaft house (R8775) . Where does the Lower shaft house (R8776) and the Winding Engine house (R8777) come into this? I’m trying to think of the rope angles as there must be a good angle of rope that makes contact with the wheels.

My father worked down the pits in the north east but he can’t make real sense of the buildings either.

I wonder if there’s anyone who can help who understands how these buildings come together as far as the pit head rope drives etc.

Thankyou

Fairly easy as I was brought up in a mining village with miners as my close kin.

The engine house with the winding gear was remote from the headstock and main pulley wheels, which stood over the mine shaft, in order to drop the cages directly down the shaft. Usually the rope drums were interlinked so a down cage partially balanced an up cage. You can see the rope entry slots in the winding room building to the right of the structure with the red pulley wheels in WTDs picture.

Google ‘coal mine head rope arrangement’ and select images and you will not only get the (wire) rope (although they were steel cables) routing but also the disposition of the various buildings.

Steam was used for winding engines before electricity so there would be a boiler house and associated steam engine to drive the rope drums.

The right angled blue ducting in WTDs picture is a shaft vent used to draught air out of the mines.

Hi,

thank you, the mine image does correlate in pairing the Winding Engine house with the Headstock sub-station as shown in the Skaledale image.

So looking to the left of the image you have the Upper Shaft House being the last building and I think the Mining Headstock 2 structure would be further left and have it’s wire ropes between the two. Don’t know why it’s not in the image as all the other buildings are.

Would it therefore be correct that the drive is via the Headstock Sub-Station (electric motor drive) with two cage chambers counter-acting each other up & down underneath both wheel structures. The Upper Shaft House would be the wheel house for brake etc. My Father says you could see the driver/brake man in the wheelhouse as you passed into the pit head.

anyway many thanks for your replies, just want it to look right as You all know.

• 3 years later...

Hi Ian

Did you end up building your mine and if so can you post a picture(s) I'm just going through the same thing. Googling etc. I'm going to take a run out to my fairly local Scottish Mining Museum with pictures of the Skaledale buildings. But perhaps you've already achieved the look I'm after.

Regards, Andy

If you google "hope pit" and switch to images you will find pictures of most if not all the actual mine buildings Hornby based their model on. Some giving a really useful insight in to how they all were arranged.

Hope this helps!