The Rocket

Well I've got some suitable chain. The links are slightly bigger than the ones that come with the model. They do though fit on the hook so they actually look better than the originals which have a flat bit at the end with a bigger hole than the other links.

I took the middle coach out yesterday to have a closer loot at the hook and put it back afterwards. It seemed to come out fairly easily. Just now I took out the bottom coach; this did not come out so easily. The plastic sheets behind the coaches are not long enough to grip and pull them free, but there is a hole at the back to push them out. I tried this but the coach tipped over and the wheels caught. I eventually managed to wiggle it out, but the foot steps hand rails on the roof were bent and the 2 nearest buffers broke off. Also on closer inspection I noticed the other coach had a broken buffer and bent foot steps and hand rails!

I have managed to bend the foot rests back and will have to glue the buffers back on. Be warned they are not metal but very delicate moulded plastic. I know this is supposed to be a limited edition collectors item, but not everyone will be leaving it in the box never to be taken out. I may trry getting the other one out and even the Rocket itself, but beore I do does anybody have any tips on how to do it without damaging them. Never had this problem with the old packeging (the plastic sheets where big enough to grab).

I will try and bend the hand rails (they seem to be metal and should be a little stronger than the plastic stuff. I'm not sure if I should try and glue the buffers back on or what. Not sure what is the best thing to do with the 2 broken coaches, do Hornby have spares?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In hindsite the buffers and other damage could just has easily been done when it was packed, as the broken bits were in the bottom of the box. Come to think of it I had an A4 delivered with a slightly bent con rod, but it was so minor I was the only one who noticed it. I certainly did not force anything or feel anything break, and managed to get the other coach and Loco out without too much of a problem (and no damage).

I have contacted Hornby and hopefully they will be able to sort things out.

So be warned; be very carefull when taking out of, or putting back in the box, this one is not as rugged as the original Tri-ang version and the box is a lot tighter.

Many of the older packaged locomotives - say of the 90's and 00's - were in polystyrene before the ice cube came out.

This invariably had a 'push hole' at the back where you could assist it's departure out of the packaging.

Is there anything similar with the Rocket?

It could be to remove the Rocket + packaging, then push from the other side gently ... little-by-little it can be removed.

I say this not knowing how 'Stephenson' is packaged, just as a possible.

Al.

From what you have said about the extent of the damage to this model. I would have been straight back onto the supplier for a replacement. If I hear bits rattling about or can see bits have fallen off inside the packaging then it is photo time and time to contact to the retailer to discuss things.

Many of the older packaged locomotives - say of the 90's and 00's - were in polystyrene before the ice cube came out.

This invariably had a 'push hole' at the back where you could assist it's departure out of the packaging.

Is there anything similar with the Rocket?

It could be to remove the Rocket + packaging, then push from the other side gently ... little-by-little it can be removed.

I say this not knowing how 'Stephenson' is packaged, just as a possible.

Al.

The Rocket packaging is made up of 3 layer of high density foam. The top layer have cutouts the shap of the contents with smaller cutouts at the back. The tender and Loco have a moulded backing piece. They are all backed by a thin sheet of plastic. there are also cut outs for the seperatly bagged crew and chain links.

From what you have said about the extent of the damage to this model. I would have been straight back onto the supplier for a replacement. If I hear bits rattling about or can see bits have fallen off inside the packaging then it is photo time and time to contact to the retailer to discuss things.

Yea realise now that is what I should have done first. I was going to try and fix it but then thought it best to contact Hornby, It is now being sorted. I was worried that as it was a ltd. ed' that was all sold out I was scuppered, but apparently they hold spares just for this kind of problem.

Atom3624,

Not strictly true. Often Ebay offers me listings at £1 fixed fee, yes there is still the paypal @ 3.4%. Either Hattons or Rails offered the Ltd Edition with 10% off so the Ebay Seller could be looking at a cost of "only" £170. At £200 his fees might be as low as £8 although I suspect they will be higher.

Well the rocket arrived and as 37lover mentioned it isn't a big package,the rocket itself is small and delicate,I had to get my wife to glue a buffer back on one of the coaches and I had to realign one of the metal railings on the roof other than that it's a lovely model ,I've got it back in the box and it's all packed away and that is where it will stay .

Mine arrived from Hattons today.

I must say I was a little disappointed with the manufacture, specifically, (1)  the railing around the step at one end of the roof was distorted and fell off as soon as I picked the carriage up, (2) when I attempted to attach one of the couplings the hook in the end of the body fell out. It has fallen on to the floor and I cannot find it so one carriage is now missing a coupling hook, (3) one of the buffers of the carriages was loose and fell off, it seems to have snapped.. Because of these I not attempted to run it but I have re-packed it and emailed Hattons for advice. 

I can see a number of modifications I would make to make it bettrer, first thing I would replace the plastic  coupling hooks with brass wire by drilling a small hole in the coupling pockets to accomodate a bit, bent at right angles and super-glued in place. The roof detail is thin brass, these need to be re-inforced by super gluing into the pockets, The buffers seem to be on a very thin plastic  spigot, this will require  gluing back on the headstock.

Clearly I won't do anything until I hear from Hattons, where I bought it.

Feel a tad sorry for the sellers, as with no more stock, available, refund looks the only way out,. Glad  i kept my Euros. Its surprising, as i have, touch wood, never had a problem, with new locos., and can only think its the nature of the model. Good luck, with a replacement, although, you may join a long list.

If these are as flimsy, as has been proved, many returns, and no replacement stock.  Hope Hornby can help.

I have a question.  What is the difference between the Triang Rocket, and the newly released flimsy one. I only ask, as there is a Triang one for sale, on our local Leboncoin, Free advert site, for about £45..  I quite fancy having one, if not too dissimilar. They come up fairly regularly, here in france.

Thanks, Brian,  waiting for a reply to my french email, to the seller.   Its a funny system, they stick a price on, to sorta tempt you, then you have to ask for  total price, including delivery.   Will let you know, if i get a response.   Thats the other problem, you email Leboncoin, they pass it on to customer, as / when, and he then decides whether to reply. I have done quite well over the years, buying bits, but only get about a 33% response.

Mine arrived with 3 buffers loose in the box. The bent wire straightened out no prob. Mine has gone back to hornby who are going to repair/replace the broken bits. Have not tried the coupling, but I have some fine silver chain to replace the plastic version. Just got to treat them so they go black.

As for running it, I have not done so. I took it out of the packaging to check it was OK. That said when I contacted Hormby they to asked if I had run it and I said no, so they are going to give it a check.

, And it smokes too, does it not ?

AFAIK only the original Triang Railways (pre Hornby) one smoked (didn't everyone smoke in the 60s). I had one when they were current. The chimney used to get rather hot; hot enough to burn the oil one used to have to pour in there to make the smoke. I can't remember ever burning my little fingers, but I would imagine the fear of such was what made Triang Hornby, laterly Hornby Railways, replace it with a capacitor or condenser (or some other electrical thingy). Not sure if it would run properly on modern (non-Ferrous) track though, as it used to use magnatism (Magnatraction) to grip the rails.