Running (or not) Limited Edition Models.

bruce_johnson

Hi. I have ordered a couple of the Limited Edition Models from the Centenary collection (Rocket & Smokey Joe). The Rocket, as i had the original Tri-ang version (with smoke and one coach) and Smokey Joe as my version is a tatty second hand version, and this one looks a lot better/more detailed (plus the relatively low price).

The other Locos I have are all little used and in boxes. I do not have room for a permanent layout just a massive table that I set out temporary layouts on. I intend to run the new models I have on order, albeit not a lot. Obviously they will be kept in their boxes the same as all my other Locos.

Just wondering what others do, and what if any effect does this have on their value? Does it affect it negatively or even positively. As a mechanical item, I would imagine it is more likely to deteriorate if left unused rather than being taken out occasionally for a little exercise.

I keep mine on shelves & mantle pieces when not in use...

/media/tinymce_upload/f06f6d7874bdd25531cfdbbacb3b378a.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/ae4f183f0cbcf4f582930fa0cc3f3c8d.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/d2bd336053c664b87d639ab60366ef44.JPG

I have a temporary lay out on the floor which I tend to change every few years!!! Not to worry about it Bruce.

I'm with WtD.

Unless you get one of those with gold plates wheels - don't run those regularly and never more than very little - the plating wears off - then a loco purchased is a loco to be seen working on the track.

When not on the track / track not present, then I'll have them on display - hate keeping everything in boxes all of the time ... that's me, just like seeing them, but preferably running on a track.

Your loco.

Your call.

Al.

I run everything as well, expect for my Hornby R2953 Flying Scotsman USA Tour 1969 Train Pack, which I very rarely run as extremely delicate and not something that I wish to handle often. The reason for that is, because I am afraid of damaging the locomotive. The locomotive already has some damage on her, as I was given the train pack used and I don't want to attempt to repair it, in fear of damaging her further.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Good to see they all get used. Unfortunatly I don't have the room to display the models when not in use. Maybe if I move some of the other stuff I have on display (mainly old 35mm mechanical cameras). I may put some of my OO models on display. For now they are safe in their boxes, until they next come out to play.

I agree with WTD of course.

I buy them to run, but not all at the same time, so they rest in boxes until I get round to running them.

I do have some old Triang locomotives I display in glass fronted cases in our entrance hall most of which are no longer runners but I like to look at them for sentimental reasons. These are 'conversation pieces' and it is surprising how many callers want to discuss them!

I have an OO layout in a large shed in the garden, but for security I only keep a few trains out and the rest are in the attic, which means I ring the changes every so often, to give myself some variety.

I have a few of this year's Special Editions on order, including the Rocket. I hope they will all get a go at some time.

I started collecting loco's in about 2003 when I bought a Flying Scotsman set (R1039) from the Sunday Express colour supplement, and working only a five minute walk from the Model Zone flagship shop in Holborn, purchases became fairly regular (they had some tremendous sales). Models were bought, quick look in the box to make sure all ok, and then put away in the cupboard. I had no layout, and these "regular" purchaes continued until I retired in 2009 - there are a lot of loco's, all in their boxes and in pristine condition. They have not been bought as investments - I just liked them. Hornby used to produce one loco a year for it NRM Collection - so I have all of those, but they don't run on the layout My layout has, probably ten loco's on it, with a couple more to come out at some stage. I have still been buying since retirement - loco's that I like, and there are, I think still six or seven pre-orders from 2018/19 still to arrive - nothing caught my eye this year, although there are a couple of loco's that I would like in the collection e.g. Bachmann City of Truro and a late Hornby Britannia 70000 - no rush - and I am running out of storage space.

I have the original gold plated Mallard. I run it on my layout. 

I found in my dad's loft back in 2007 when he passed away my old Hornby locos etc with boxes. These included the original Bristol Castle 7013. It cost £2:17:6 in 1957. I sold it at auction with box and got £100 minus charges. So it was 50 yesrs old. I won't be around in 50 years, yes I know medical science is advancing but I am 75 now. So I run my trains let's face it they are big boys toys not investment vehicles. 

Enjoy them.

... Need to be pretty rare to be worth more than you paid. Buy a painting if you want a profit. 

A friend of ours in Cyprus was an avid investor in vintage port wine. She had some very old bottles that were worth a fortune, but chances are that however indulgent you were they could never be drank as the content was most likely spoiled, but because the bottle was still sealed they had enormous value.

Compare with model railways - old and sealed in the original ‘box‘ likely worth a lot of money but once opened and tried out, then of much lesser if any value.

I have a expensive bottle of whisky fortified sherry in my cupboard. I know which I prefer to do - sip an occasional small glass of it or just look at the bottle. No point looking at it - ditto locos.

Model train engines do need to be run a little every so often. Otherwise their motors end up with less than perfect electrical contacts and in need of some some gentle running or even a service to get them operating properly again. In fact, I recall Bachmann recommending that their models should be run and not just left.

There was also a period in the 1980s and possibly since then when the polystyrene packaging would react with the finish of the model. I have a "footballer" loco on which one side of the tender has been tarnished. It is still okay but not pristine. I bought it second-hand so I please "not guilty".

Also, models that have been in the shop too long or which were over or badly oiled in the factory can have oil stains on their bodywork which cannot be completely removed.

Yes Sarah, I hadn't forgotten you, and I am always pleased to see your authorative contributions. 

There is one lady I know who builds remarkable models, mostly based on the Southern Region in Sussex, her efforts have encouraged me to raise my own modelling game. The two H class 0-4-4Ts I built using the Airfix 14xx mechanism were built to her designs and used some surplus  material she had spare.

/media/tinymce_upload/7ba0e585bce24e27f4d219e8d66a01fa.JPG

Jimyjames it gets run a lot as its TTS fitted yes the gold is fading but that's my decision my work mates who bought it for me when I retired 11 years ago would be horrified if they thought I left it on a shelf in a box.

It won't appreciate in value in my lifetime so I use it sling with all my other toys. 

Sarah,

Yes, indeed so.

And the two Hs both appeared long before Hornby brought out theirs. Sadly the 14xx chassis is not very reliable, being split chassis. I still have enough ex Wrenn parts and whitemetal fittings to make another but no chassis and now Hornby have brought out theirs I no longer have the incentive. 

Mrs. Thompson also wrote an article about converting a Airfix 4F to a Wainwright C, Bachmann however beat me to it.

The Model Railway Constructor had an article by Alan Williams way back in 1965 about converting the Hornby Dublo R1 into an H class. In another article in that series he wrote about how to convert Triang GW clerestories into a LBSC push pull set (my version just visible behind the H. ) 

In the same series of articles Alan Williams described how he converted a Triang EMU (R156) into a 2Hap and 2EPB set, which I did myself to his plans long ago, but which didn't survive my younger brothers, and a 4Cep using Kitmaster Mark 1 carriages, and a Brighton Belle set using the Triang short Pullmans. 

The other useful thing he described was a carriage washing machine which used stiff nylon bristles to clean dust off carriages.  The nylon looked a bit like water jets.

About half of my 150 or so locos were bought "boxed".  But for me that was the last time they were in a box. 😆   In fact, the boxes are all stored on top of a fitted wall cupboard where I can't reach them w/o a ladder.   Some of the locos are kept in drawers or on shelves and some on the two layouts ready for action, maybe with coaches already coupled.  As the tracks or locos can be activated with remote controls it means that those locos are run virtually every day.  Some would say "How lazy !".

Lights in buildings and stations etc are also on remote control so a minimum of walking around/standing is necessary. It suits me, as not very mobile these days.

Sometimes, I take the less-frequently-run locos out of their drawers to give them a run, lubrication and general check-up, noting down the dates. Also timing a couple of laps for best realistic running and checking the couplings.

Hi LC&DR..

Vivien Thompson was one of my influences with model Railways.

I particularly liked Eastbourne, as I knew the place from visits, and was always impressed by the large signal box, and the station clock tower...

That 1965 MRC will be the one in our collection...

I've seen the Brighton Belle article.

There was, at the time, a cast metal cab end available... probably not so easy to find now.

We've got a lot of old magazines...lots of ideas in them!

Soon I'll have to process them.

Scan the stuff I want to keep, and then pass the magazines on to someone else...

We need the room, as we are downsizing!

The thing you have to be careful with is the valve gear on steam locos. When you take them out of the packing it very easy to bend it as it is very flimsy. I have 2 locos, an air smoothed WC and a Q1, that got bent be someone when on the club layout at an exhibition which now live in my display cabinet.

Sarah,

My magazine collection is also becoming unmangeable yet again, I rationalised it about 15 years ago taking useful articles out and sticking them in transparent pockets in ring binders.and binning the rest. I need to do this all over again.

Recently I made a start scanning old Model Railway Constructor Datafile articles, but this is a mere drop in the ocean. 

My current task is transferring a drawing I started some years ago from an A0 drawing board in my 'office' on to a computer drawing package. so  I can free up some room, and get a couple more book shelves in.