Using a garage for a layout

keithp1707821843

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has used a garage for a layout and if so whether they painted the walls first - and if so how?  I have a fairly large garage - which is used for storage - and will make an ideal location, but I would like to paint the walls. I just can't seem to find out how! By that I mean do I need to prime the walls or can I just paint them.

So I wondered if anyone has already done this and if so could they offer some advice please.

Thanks.

Keith

Keith (keihtp), I also advise that you check the garage roof is completely sealed, as some garages are not have holes, which let‘s the rain in. Water is not good for layouts and won‘t tale long for one to be ruined.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Yes the roof is sealed, it has an internal layer followed by the tiles. To be honest, it is more like a workshop than garage! 

You'll also need heat and ventilation, to help stop any moisture from causing rust. Just heat will keep moisture suspended, until it cools, then you'll have condensation, which = rust.

If anything is packed away, I suggest using pouches of dessicant silica gel inside the packaging/box/boxes, which will absorb moisture.

Why paint the walls.....leave them alone, but paint your ceiling white, acrylic emulsion,(if there's a surface to paint). If no plasterboard, put some up and insulate it.

Use a brighter bulb or extra lights.  Once walls are painted there's no going back, and then it's repaint after repaint. Save your cash, and spend it on your layout etc.

Not sure what you mean by how to paint a garage wall. Open tin of suitable paint, Sandtex is excellent, dip in large brush, apply. 

Thanks. I was under the impression you had to 'prime' the brick first, hence I wanted to see what other people had done. I am only intending to keep the layout in the garage, all trains & wagons would be in the house. 

My ‘garage‘ train room is converted with dry lined walls, proper ceiling, power and lights with oil filled radiator heating. Previous owner used it as a photo studio.

/media/tinymce_upload/3d8a2bae76c6725446e9d7178a54d097.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e4ed430eb25572de0fb800ec2ffd9a16.PNG

/media/tinymce_upload/a4e1766c1791afd264fdcca4c5d8e366.jpg

Is your garage single brick or cavity wall. If the former I'd thnk about lining it with insulation material to give barrier against cold. Seal the door, if you have side access or from the house. Otherwise you are left with the door which is thin metal and will sweat. You can get up and over door insulation lots usual a polythene sack with insulation in it. Jrating, don't use a gas wheelie fire they produce water and carbon monoxide unless they are a catalyst type. Fan heater or oil filled radiator.

There are interlocking floor tiles for garage and workshop use, they add a barrier against dust or lay carpet tiles on wooden floor insulation. 

It's the temperature change and damp that will be your enemy. 

Hi Kieth

First make sure the garage is weather tight seal the walls and floor with Bondcrete paint to taste.

Put a ceiling in if it doesn't have one insulate ceiling while your at it, if possible insulate the walls and line them.

Its all about personal comfort and keeping the dust down as much as possible.

Make sure you have adequate power points and lights.

If it has a side door, lock obstruct, insulate and seal up the front tilt door.

Make sure you have adequate ventilation when all is finished ready for layout.

Once it is ready for a layout and properly secured it should be safe to leave trains in there.

On the nice to have list would be a floating wood floor but those cheap foam yoga mats will do the same thing give you a comfortable surface to stand on.

Basically you are turning the garage into a secure comfortable dedicated room to build a model railway in.

So heating and cooling also need to be considered.and unfortunately so do any local building codes and regulations.

regards John

OK, thanks you everyone for all your input. AT the moment my initial idea was to use part of the garage for a layout, rather than the whole garage. It is quite big, so stores gardening  kit and in the 'loft area; we store papers, xmas decs, etc. I just thought some paint on the bricks would make it brighter, the light bulb is 100 watt so is bright enough and there are twp power sockets. As to the layout, i intended to just keep the baseboard with track & scenery in there, the rest would be stored in the house, as an extra precaution. But having read all these comments perhaps I need to rethink this idea. I do have a small heater that provides warmth if I am working in there as well.