First Track - Making the most of a 8" x 4" board

Dad will sort it

@samfieldhouse

I really do like the wa your layout fiolds up to that sloping wall. As RDS said, it's a good use of space and they are correct.

Out of interetst, is there anyway you can dismatle the tunnelsquickly and easily, without damaging them, to get to a derailment inside of a tunnel, if that ever happens?

You also appear to be a fan of the Citroën 2CV, judging by the pictures and posters on the bottom of your layout board!  😉  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Hi GN-Gordon-4

A GN&SR pannier tank or LNER J94 tank engine are the loco's of choice.

If I have a sudden rush of blood to the brain and go modern image either a green 04 or the little red diesel that Hornby make.

Have not plucked up the courage to modify Toby to a Y6 yet.

Because the layout has R2 and R3 curves when no one is looking anything is possible 😆

That is as long as the train is not bigger than what comes in a train set box.

regards John

Hi John (Buz).  😀

Thats good then. The Hornby red diesel locomotive you mentioned, is Hornby RailRoad R3283 0-4-0 DH Bagnall Diesel Shunter. I worked this out, as you posted an image of your layout and this locomotive, was in your image of your layout image, that you posted in this thread on page 2, this past Monday (17/02/2020).

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Excuse the simple drawing but this is shows what I was originally seeking guidance on (when I raised this post).

The board (green) is not wide enough to accomodate the Expansion Pack D branch on the side. Meantime, I have at least 2 foot of board to utilise.

Is there a way of replacing a 3rd radius curve (R609) with a point and shorter curve - to allow us to mimic the branch for the engine shed or potentially loop back to another point on the main circuit?

/media/tinymce_upload/15142f8713ae204711cbe36f8766eb0d.png

@samfieldhouse

Please add the photos. I've very intrerested to see what you described.

On a general note, what is the best way of attaching an image? I would like to add a drawing to show the challenge that I was originally trying to describe (i.e. room sizes, board sizes, etc.

I use Facebook. I upload images to a private album that (on Facebook) only I can se so I don't bore my friends with endless train pics. Once uploaded right click the photo and lick 'copy image address'. Clink on the tree icon up there ^^ and paste the link. That will drop your photo here. You can do that with any image anywhere on the internet - no such thing as 'private' on the internet  😮 I have yet to master how not to have MASSIVE spaces under the images  😳

@samfieldhouse

That is a great use of space. 

I guess you just need to check those tunnels very carefully before hinging it up though!

Haha yes I do. And thanks!

@samfieldhouse

I really do like the wa your layout fiolds up to that sloping wall. As RDS said, it's a good use of space and they are correct.

Out of interetst, is there anyway you can dismatle the tunnelsquickly and easily, without damaging them, to get to a derailment inside of a tunnel, if that ever happens?

You also appear to be a fan of the Citroën 2CV, judging by the pictures and posters on the bottom of your layout board!  😉 😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Thanks again, as I say, I wanted to pack it in without it loking crammed. All the tunnels have one entrance that I can easily get my hand in, and there's a lift off secton on one of the corners for the big tunnel. The biggest issue with a layout this packed is loading guage - it's very tight, Some of my longer coaches have 2-3mm clearence on tunnel portals, but it all works fine.

The 2cv thing... guilty as charged! This is one trains are my secondary/bad weather hobby  😆

79326629_10162821235245595_6763049825781

@dad will sort it!,

Image approvals do not occur outside of Hornby normal weekday office hours. Hornby also finish early at 3PM on a Friday. I would estimate that in the current admin situation your image is most likely to appear between Monday and Wednesday next week. In the current admin situation the majority of image approvals seem to occur in the early Mon-Wed part of the 'working hours' week, and less so on posts made on Thu & Fri.

See this post that explains the current admin image approval delays of up to a week situation.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/forum-administration-update-30025/?p=1

Moderators do not approve images.....they are approved by Hornby forum administration which is something completely different. The forum moderators have no control over this process.....mores the pity.

Please try and avoid using the 'blue button' when replying. As I described in the very post you have now duplicated above, reply using the 'Reply Text Box' at the bottom of the page. If you just wanted to bring a post to the attention of a particular forum member just start it of with their '@forum name'....in my case @Chrissaf.

On a 8x4 board, the biggest hole you could have would be a 2ft square hole, right in the middle You would need extra straight tracks and would want to run the trains as close to the edge of the board as possible, you only have 1ft either side, which will only get you 2 (possibly 3) tracks. the 8ft side has 3 ft either side, so that would be wherre you put your engine sheds, and sidings. 

XYZ