New Rocket On Ebay

mjb1961

You always get these silly prices for new products, because chancers grab as many pre-orders as they can and flog them on to gullible folk for a handsome profit. The only way to cull the practice is not to buy from these people on the basic the price will drop later. It is all driven by the senseless need to have the very latest product as soon as it is available, when waiting a bit will likely get you the same thing at a sensible price from a trusted retailer.

Well said RAF!!

Happens in all scales and products - cars in particular.

I would have anticipated it would happen if Hornby 'sold out' and then somebody put a few on sale on Ebay ... that is when I would have anticipated 'demand' to increase ... albeit temporarily until it's senseless.

Place an order from reputable distributor and you'll get one .... pending availability of course, but the dealer will advise you honestly and correctly.

Al.

I had this happen inadvertently with the Hornby Warley special 14XX, R3578. I couldn't get one at the NEC show, where all the retailers were sold out, but found one from a major supplier a few days later, for £44.95 delivered. I then decided I didn't want it and put it on eBay where it sold for double that. I lose often enough, so it was good to win for a change.  

You often find major retailers advertising a few once they fulfil all their advance orders. Also, as with the Huntley & Palmer Peckett sets, seems quite a few were purchased in advance on speculation which has caused a glut and now they are selling for less than the original RRP. Might well be the case here too I would not rush to buy one if you missed out. Ongoing availability of the standard edition will always supress the price of the limited edition version for those whom the model is more important than the box.

I see already the one advertised for £500 is being undercut by someone else looking a mere £425

I thought the conversation had warped onto the APT for some reason, but no!

Some enterprising individual is actually wanting £425 for the new Rocket - limited edition or not!!

That's daylight .... !!

Still, if somebody's mad enough to pay that, then fair enough.

Al.

I assume people are bidding this much for the Hornby Centenary Year Tri-ang Stephenson's Rocket, becuase everywhere or most places have sold out already through pre-orders?

For anybody amazed at these prices, I think you will find that all of the Hornby Centenary Year Limited Edition models will sell for crazy prices on eBay, once Hornby Hobbies and the retailers have sold all of their stock.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I did. Although I was not quick enough to get one at the reduced price. I think all the pre-orders for that were gone within hours and only a few days at the full price. I've got a couple of the cheaper ones on pre-order, and the others are either all sold out or a bit more money than I have to spend.

I think the ltd. ed' is probably worth the £10 extra over the standard version. That said I personally don't think it is worth paying the extra being asked or bid on eBay. Why not wait a couple more weeks for the standard version. I know the pre-orders on that are sold out but I would imagine there will be more produced now that they know there is a market for them. That is unless most of the pre-orders have been bought by speculators, in which case the price will come down. It's all about supply and demand.

The GBL one is perfectly good as a static model And it comes with a coach. I have seen them for less than £5. Hornby have gone to a lot of trouble, as they did with the Tri-ang original to get a model that works. I don't get paying so much for a highly engineered working model for it to sit in a cupboard. Mind you at those prices on eBay I'd be too scared to get it out.