Gradients v Locomotives.

Puffed Out

I have read somewhere on the forum pages, regarding gradiants and Loco's capabilities of going up, but I can't find the thread. 

Is it 1inch in 36 inches, or 30mm in 1000mm.....or have got that entirely wrong.

I have Loco's driven without tyres and with.(GWR Tank Engine, and the Flying Scots Tender driven). There are others with tyres, but the answers would be covered by these two.

I guess those with tyres may perform better for grip, but they are slower than their modern counterparts. 

Could any of you experts clarify please, or point me to the thread I was looking at.

Just put gradient in the Search Forums box.

You need to factor in a bit extra distance for the transition at bottom and top of the slope. You cant just suddenly go up at an angle or you risk lifting wheels off the track.

Remember, the steeper the gradient the shorter the train. In real life there was a gradient of 1 in 14 on the Hopton Incline on the High Peak line oin Derbyshire. The locos would only pull two or three wagons and the driver would let the locomotive have a run at it.

One way of dealing with inclines is to provide a banking engine to help push the train up the gradient. In steam days there would be up to four seperate engines to haul or push a train up the 1 in 30 gradient from Folkestone Harbour station to Folkestone Junction, including the famous Golden Arrow Pullman Express train.

Way to go, is a Helix.  I have one, its about 4 foot in diameter, with 7 loops. Climbs up 29 inches, with no trouble. All locos very content.

Lets try the big sums on that John.

1 in 100 is 1%, 1 in 50 is 2%, 1 in 25 is 4%, etc.

π * 48“ = 150“ circumference approx. Running distance will be less per coil. 7 coils = approx 1050” rising 29”. That works out about 1” rise every yard or 3.6% grade. If there are any surveyors on the forum I am open to correction.

Puffed out,  Hi, if i could  post a photo, or knew how, i would.   I built mine with threaded metal rods, and many nuts. I could email a photo to a fellow member/ mod,  who  i am sure could post it for me, if it would help. Moving forward, it does use a lot of track. Mine is double, all in flexi. Happy to discuss, if you want to have a go at making one. All loops in ply.

If you look up  The Biggest Little Railway in the World. for images, scroll through them, their coil is made of wood.  

I won't be doing a coil of any kind, but I admire the effort and ingenuity.

https://www.google.com/search?q=The+Biggest+Little+Railway+in+the+World.&rlz=1C1JZAP_enIE883IE883&sxsrf=ALeKk034FjcwPAxa00J8FpPyAKdBJ_eZAg:1582716373203&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiOudH5je_nAhWxtXEKHZwEBZUQ_AUoAXoECBoQAw&biw=1920&bih=969#imgrc=Owvy3WAaqAIAzM

I like the idea of the helix - adds another dimension and interest to a railway.

Were I to 'design' a railway I may consider this, then give full access from behind, hide with a hill or 3 in front.

I'd have something entering, then eventually something departing at a totally different level, perhaps over a viaduct after exiting 'the tunnel' (helix).

Nice option.

Al.

See the other thread, regarding model buildings, Yelrow has said he has built a model of Goat Canyon Trestle!

Now that is a structure that would certainly do justice to the helix idea, I rather hope he will post a picture,here it has got to be awesome!

I have a helix on my layout made up of 3rd radius down and 4th radius up, parts of which can be seen  on the `lets see your layouts thread`. I am currently covering it with a 9 lane roundhouse on a 5ft x 5ft board so it will soon be hidden from view but with access from the sides, I will post a pic when finished, Ard.

For a real UK helix, or part of one have a look at the Ffestiniog where they put a spiral in to climb up to the avoiding line when the hydro electric power station and reservoir at Tanygrisiau were constructed. 

If you want a train to climb a gradient better you need more powered wheels, all adding their bit to the frictional drive between the wheels and the railhead. Various types of EMU  do this very well with multiple powered bogies (Think London Underground). 

@ Yelrow.  Hi, if i could  post a photo, or knew how, i would.  

Hello John. If you would like to follow this up, have a look at "Photos" in the Forum Search box. There are a couple of useful posts. Best to use a camera set at maximum 8-10 megapixels so that your photo is not too large and doesn't need resizing. Mpg format probably the easiest to handle. Hope this encourages you to post some photos as we know you have a large and interesting layout and a lot of locos. All the best. Jimbo.