flickering firebox

Old Bob

The actual "flickering" firebox effect is a new thing.

The firebox "glow" light bulb in parallel with the motor has been done.

Tri-ang Hornby M7 0-4-4 tank locos, and the original Flying Scotsman models had this.

More recently, the Hornby Railways Tender Drive LMS 8f, and the GWR 2800 2-8-0 tender Locomotives had this feature.

Both models have been replaced by recent super detail models.

Yes the new princess royal as the flickering firebox. The old Hornby 8f had a firebox glow it didn't flicker and I doubt the other early models flickered either other then with the slight current drop due to bad power pick up from the track

sorry Sarah I was typeing when you posted 

I seem to remember that on James May The Reassembler he put the old "Flying Scotsman With Realistic Chuffing Sound" back together. It used a piece of wood (I think) that rubbed up and down on a piece of sandpaper.

He did mention that the firebox had a bulb in which glowed, and was connected in parallel with the motor. I guess this means that the faster you run the locomotive, the brighter the bulb is.

I can't remember any locomotives with flickering fireboxes. I even think he said that Chuffing and a lot firebox was a great advancement for its time.

The Hornby Railways "Exhaust Steam Sound" feature uses a metal scraper, that is clipped to the rear axle of the tender.

This rotates, and as it passes a brass tang, part coated with grit, it causes the brass tang to transmit a vibration to a plastic sound box in the tender.

This vibration makes a diaphragm vibrate, making a sound like a chuff...

As the axle rotates, you get chuff...chuff...chuff...etc.

The faster the Locomotive runs, the faster the chuffs are generated.

No wood is harmed in the production of the sound... 😉

I was wondering how this simple 'technology' could be applied to permit close to 8 chuffs per driving wheel rotation for something like a Lord Nelson!!

I think it gave between 2 and 3 per revolution for the Scottie - obviously based to one 'chuff' per tender axle rotation cf the larger driving wheels. Obviously should have been 6, so novel, but pretty poor.

This is one reason I'll never 'go DCC Sound' for steam locomotives - something like this is important for me and would drive me mad!!

(VERY EXPENSIVE) Options exist, so perhaps if I have a (just ONCE PLEASE) lottery win, I could consider it!

Al.

My Maineline Royal Scot LMS 6100 has a great steam sound system which works off a 9Volt battery, It makes a hissing sound all the time  until the gap in the metal band on the rear axel causes the sound to stop then start again as soon as the axel rotates 1/6th of a turn, veery effective.