Dowlow loco

Davo 57

It may be that the model is implementing some form of proto-typical lighting to reduce glare to oncoming loco drivers. Think of it as being like the equivalent of a car dipped beam. The bright LED being the headlight and the dim LED being the marker light. Of course, it could be just a fault.

I believe that there is a switch under this loco marked D (Day) & N (Night). Is the switch in the N position, if so then this possibly fits in with the anti-glare deduction made above.

I'm sure one of the train drivers on this forum will give 'chapter and verse' on night vs day light running, and correct me if wrong.

Locomotive's lights are always switched on for the purpose of track maintenance folk on the line. In the day time, the light at the 2nd man's side is switched on or brighter than the other, and at night, the drivers side is switched on or brighter than the other. It is also important that the locomotives directional lights are on correctly so that workers on the line can see whether the train is moving away or towards them. It is extremely difficult from far distances to work out what direction it is running in. Obviously the directional lights are for health & safety reasons.

Also, the housing around the headlight, on one of the sides, can't remeber which, was empty, until recently a bulb had to be wired in for safety reasons.

I could't tell if we were discussing real life locomotives or model railways. Anway, this information should be rather useful.

Hope this helps answer your question,

14xx Tank

When I used to go on to the line myself for checking signals etc. I found that the bright headlight was a lifesaver. It was considerably better than the yellow front for seeing a train approaching in the distance. As soon as one came in view I moved away from the line into a place of safety (I had already carried out risk assessment, identified a place of safety and worked out how long it would take for me to reach it after spotting an approaching train ) 

A white light always meant that a train was approaching. A train going away was a red flashing light.

Davo 57,

I have removed your two consecutive attempts to reply in this thread. The 'Blue Button' is not a 'Reply to this post' button, There is no 'Reply Button' embedded in each individual post on this forum. See below regarding 'how to reply to a post'.

TIP: If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/