Curved points - 3rd Radius and wider?

Alessio

Hi, 

I know Hornby make curved points that will allow a train to cross between 2nd - 3rd radius loops within a curve, but I was wondering if they also make them to go from a 3rd radius -4th (or track running outside that 3rd rad loop)? If so, what Catalogue number would that be? 

I've just acquired a 6x4 board with two loops of track (2nd & 3rd) and want to run a short branch outside them.

cheers!

Unfortunately Hornby does NOT make points which can be added to third or fourth radius curves without needing a a bit of fiddling using flexible track.  Second radius is the only radius available. Peco Streamline do make points with larger radius of course, but the smallest is 2 foot (604mm) which would also need a bit of fiddling!

I am sure that there was a diagram on how to do this in one of the Hornby trackplan books using standard track sections. The '3rd' radius formed using the Hornby curved points is actually formed from the large radius of the curved point, second radius curves and an R610 short straight and as has been said on here is not geometrically perfect But is near enough to work. As the inner curve of the curved point is second radius, that plus an R643 could replace the second radius double curve in the outer circuit and then other track sections used. If i get the chance later I will see if I have the info but I may have to post the details rather than a picture. 

When Peco introduced their settrack range they had curved points that allowed a transition between first and second radius and I still have some somewhere. Some makes of loco didn't like them but Triang and Hornby were Ok from what I remember. 

Not strictly on topic, but curved points are I have found quite problematical with locomotives with short wheelbase, especially if the baseboard and 'ballast' is not absolutely flat and level. I have both 0-4-0 and 0-4-4 types which stall persistently on the long common crossing (frog) of curved points. 

It is possible in theory to use the standard Hornby curved point on a 3rd radius curve, using a couple of bits of flexi track (or cut up bits of straight and set-track curve) to make the tighter (2nd radius) inner curve of the points match the 3rd radius you are looking for.

However, my advice would be to avoid the curved point if you can. I have found that quite a few locos will derail when turning on the tighter 2nd radius part of the curved point when approaching from the single track (heel?) end i.e. one track splitting into 2.  This is not a problem when it’s a “trailing” point (2 tracks merging into one).

If you cannot take the siding off the straight part of your layout (assuming there’s not sufficient width in your baseboard), maybe you could use a Peco Streamline small radius “turnout” (their term for it).  The curved radius is 2ft.  Combined with a trimmed length or two of 2nd radius curve you should be able to get this back to join up with your 3rd radius outer oval.  The straight direction of your Peco point would lead to the siding, and the curved direction would continue around your outer oval.

Either of my suggestions will require you to cut up a few pieces of track to fit and have a few spare fishplates to connect them.

Not strictly on topic, but curved points are I have found quite problematical with locomotives with short wheelbase, especially if the baseboard and 'ballast' is not absolutely flat and level. I have both 0-4-0 and 0-4-4 types which stall persistently on the long common crossing (frog) of curved points. 

I can agree with you here. The kind gentleman at the local model shop said not to get into curved points, as they are extremely problematic like you have mentioned here. I asked him for some points before the "virus" happened. He said he didn't have any, but not to buy any curved points in the mean time, because they were horrible.

My two Hornby curved points are at the bottom of the spares box. One of them would not run a Pacific through from one particular direction. The other hand point was similarly problematic but from a completely different direction.

I tried for a long time to get them to work even so far as to making up a test track. In the end frustration and a change of lalyout drove me to ditching them.

On the other hand folk have reported success with other brand curved points.

• 2 years later...

I saw a video on YouTube about this, can't find it now. The problem is there is too much space between the stock rails and check rails, so the sideways axle movement can make things a bit haphazard on the frog. He made a thin brass shin to go around the check rail and this seemed to cure the problem.

@hazel (Posted - 19:30 17/2/2023)

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’

More details here