What is this bit called on the H-Class please???

JJ73

There is a small bit which has fallen off my H-Class & I can't find it ☹️:-

/media/tinymce_upload/d179ff558b2a3b245505c018eb5e525c.jpg

It's the bit which connects the coupling rod to the bogie wheel - is it called screw, abolt or what??? & Does it have an 'R' number perhaps???

& Will Hornby have it on thier Web site or shall I try Peter Spares or else where once I know what that bit is called!!!

Thank you in advance  😀

I'd say a 2.5mm hex head coupling rod screw.

2.5mm is the head dimension, not the thread.

I normally relate 'bolt' to much larger items.

Did it have a spacer do you remember.

Perhaps remove the same on the other side and take a photograph.

Some are threaded to the head, others 'so far' - nice to confirm (don't lose it!)

Do you have a 2.5mm hex driver? Don't use pliers unless doing it slowly and carefully - never over-force it.

A few thoughts.

Al.

Oh dear. I had this happen to my R9287 Thomas the Tank Engine, one time. If you are able to locate the nut, or buy a replacement con rod set, I also recoemmend you purchase Hornby R913 Con Rod Nut Spanner - Double Ended.

If the con rod nuts were not tightend enough in the factory, then I have found that as the locomotive runs, the nut get looser and falls out. Equally however, lots of use can loosen the con rods too. I recommend you purchase R913. You may find some of your other locomotives, might need their con rod nuts tightened too.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I don't think it will have - normally only on locomotives with connecting rods to cylinder blocks - but the 'spacer' is like a tiny ring.

I still believe you'll find the screw somewhere around your track - bit of patience!!

With pliers don't grip too tightly, and only GENTLY nip tight, no more.

Al.

@ Raf & Atom :- Yeah that is a bit confusing 81F has wrote - may be Bachmann so some thing simulair perhaps???

any way WELL DONE Raf & Atom - you both said to have another look & to use a tourch & magnet - well I did use a tourch & did think of using a magnet but didn't bother with the idea - but then you said to use a tourch & Magnet - & I did @ 1st nothing, but as I had it over the Point (The Turn-out or what ever you want to call it) I suddenly heard a little click & guess what i saw sticking to my magnet??? (See Photo)

/media/tinymce_upload/9b2afc54e55244163ea7ef78f833c20d.JPG

Yes it was hidding in the point!!!

& now for my next question - As I don't have a Hex driver - which tool is for the best job??? (see photo???)

/media/tinymce_upload/bb870378e677d62cf8eea95a586c191b.JPG

I've had a rumage through my tool box & this is the best I could find, which 1 should I use to do the job good???

Jimyjames, I am glad you have found the nut. That saves you buying the con rods spare parts pack. However, I do not recommend you use any of those pliers. I think you will find that you cause more damage by using them. The con rod nut spanner is what you need for the job, the correct size and shape and is made for the job. Pliers are not made for this type of repair.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF) 

Also, viewing your original image on page 1, the wheel that the nut came off on, had the wheel out of alignment. I am unsure how this can be fixed. I am sure somebody on this forum will know how to repair this.

I am sure on this forum, that you have mentioned that you have been to your local model shop, whom have repaired some of your models. If you are not able to repair your H Class, then I recommend bagging the parts and saving those and the locomotive, until we are out of lockdown. If your local model shop can do repairs, I would be surprised if they cannot repair this.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Yes I did get the locos muddled up. I've just had a cateract operation and will need glasses but the COVID-19 nlockdown means my appointment has been cancelled :( I had also been looking for one of the Blue teams Wainwritew 0-6-0 on ebay so what I my mind saw was not what I was looking at.

When this same thing happened to my grandsons Thomas the Tank Engine, we contacted Hornby and explained the problem.

They came back with a Returns Number and we posted it off to them.

A few days later the loco was returned, fixed and running normally, and at no cost other than postage.

Try this avenue if you don't have the right tools, etc.

If you can wait - order, receive and proceed carefully.

If you're as spontaneous as often appears apparent, then BE VERY GENTLE.

If your manual dexterity is still pretty useful - which it should be being a relative youngster - I always found I could hold the screw, feed through the coupling rod and into the threaded socket by hand, then manually screw in ... this is only part way of course - still cannot use the locomotive.

Looking at the wheels, they appear out of alignment, so you'll need to sort that out before attaching the coupling rod again.

Remember, it's a very small, very thin screw and they DO break - got the t-shirt on that with a 1/36 Losi micro Raminator!!

Best is the logical route - get the driver and wait for it to arrive!!

Al.