Captain Tom named locos

96RAF

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many who 'ride the wave' of Captain Tom will donate ALL the profits from whatever they do, or put his good name to.

Personal,Groups, famous(and 'has beens'). or otherwise, or Industry, will possibly take advantage of his exposure.

I'll be making my own stickers and donating another £50, anonymously as always.

Just been onto the website and pre ordered one ,at 08.00 this morning I went onto the website and it stated LTD 1500 and sold out ,now 2020 and available,,like one of the other members on here ,it's not my era but have bought one as a keepsake.

I'll be making my own stickers and donating another £50, anonymously as always.

You are to be commended, although not quite so anonymously as you've broadcast on a public forum.

To other posters;

On the topic of Limited Editions & numbers produced there were/are several limited editions in the 2020 Commemorative product range with comparable numbers [circa 2000]. I suspect, and hope, that many placing orders are not bothered about the limited edition tag - albeit you do get a numbered certificate!

Now the Web site says 

Only 2500 of these limited edition models are to be producedand sold exclusively via the Hornby website.

The sale of these models will result in £100,000 being donated to the NHS.

As of 12:34 on the 01/05/2020!!!

I got mine @ (2:10 am 1st May 2020)

Like both Joe_holmes1 & MJB1961 said - it not really my era or not really into Diesels but as it's 'Captain Tom' or is that Colonel Tom???

& as Carltonf says...

Excellent gesture from Hornby with £20000 to the NHS fund.  It's like i'm getting a train for £34.99 and donating £40 to the NHS.  Win win.

Looks like I managed to order one as well ... I think!!

Rebooting pages, entering data .... repeating .... hopefully it's just one - only, finally received one confirmation, but it did take the best part of 2 hours to pre-order!!

Al.

Who cares if it's 'Limited Edition' or not?

Trading Standards?

If people wish to give to a charity then I don't see why they just don't donate the full £75, this idea of helping a good cause only if you get something in return is not 'giving' it’s 'getting'. The only entity out of pocket here is Hornby as its them that are donating the money and no one else.

Having been previously to an A&E on a Saturday night and seen some of the Great British public’s ‘respect’ for the NHS first hand, just wonder when this is all over how long this new found respect for the NHS will last before it reverts back to normal.

Surely by announcing to us all how you are donating "another £50" you are riding the waves. It is unnecessary to say how much we donate to a good cause. 

I am hardly headline news, am I, and not exactly 'famous', or a large organisation/business. But you never know.!!!

I can imagine the headlne.........'Puffed Out has donated again'.....The cry goes out...'Who is Puffed Out'. 

Just bought (well, ordered) my first OO loco for 35yrs, I wonder how it will compare to the last one I got and to Hornby's current Spanish outline! 

I took my wife up to the AMU at Ninewells on Valentines day this year and they kept her in for 11 days! Nearly all better now, so she encouraged me to order the 66 for the help she received (unrelated to the rona) as well as the great work that is being done now.

On the subject of Ltd Ed size - not that it bothers me - I have just looked at the two Bachmann DF11's I bought when they were first released. The first, 1488 of 5000, the second, no quantity mentioned on the certificate, but I have number 2953. The Roco OBB 2-6-4 310.23 I have is a Ltd Ed of 8000. Increased from 5000 due to demand. I am glad Hornby increased the quantity to better suit demand. Hopefully the models will get used and not just stuck on shelves.

(Bachmann's DF11 is a Chinese Nat'l Railways Co-Co)

(I also hope Hornby have ordered a 'shed' more TTS units............)

Why does the number keep rising. 3,000 is better than 500, but 3,000 is quite a lot of them and now will not be a rare model to be honest. It needed to be more than 500 models, but not as many as 3,000, if I am honest.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

You seem to have missed the big picture!

These days, every model production run is a "limited edition".

Limited production is the way that models are made now.

Rare models?

If buying a model as an "investment", then I would consult a registered financial advisor! 😉

Hornby has got the right idea in the case of the Capt. Tom models.

This is a fund raising idea.

Really, the only "mistake" was in the initial 500 figure.

It should always have been "limited" to one issue, of as many as are ordered by a certain date?

You can't please all of the "Collector's" or the "investors" all of the time! 😉

I'm tempted to order one, the honorable Captain has done so much to lift the spirits of so many, not only in the UK but the world over.  He's big news even in this part of the world.  I'm not worried about the final "limited edition" number, it's hardly 50 000 units and will be a special reminder of a significant time in history.

I'm currently balking at the 41 pound delivery charge though.  I could wear that if it were actually all going to charity.  Still can't understand Hornby's postage rates, they are well beyond acceptable in this day and age.

HK.

I thought Hornby had sorted out the RoW delivery pricing or was that only for the Collectors Club folk.

Maybe time to prod SK again for a fix to general sales P&P for RoW.

Yes, Simon/Hornby have improved pricing for the Collectors Club offering which I'm sure has been appreciated by all of us living outside of the UK.  But, as an example, I've just ordered 3 of the new Hornby sliding door Mk3's from a box shifter and paid 10 pounds in freight to NZ. 

There surely must be room to move between that and 40+ pounds for a similarly weighted and presumably smaller sized package for the 66.  As I said earlier, I could wear the entire cost if I knew the NHS would be getting 30 pounds of that freight charge but they won't be.

HK.

It should always have been "limited" to one issue, of as many as are ordered by a certain date?

I think that is a good idea to put a Closing Date on it, rather than a number, especially when consideration is given to its cause.

Totally agreed with RDS, and Sarah.

Reading the manufacturer threads for each manufacturer, it's clear there's some form of agreement made with the actual fabricator / manufacturer, typically in China.

Perhaps Hornby have an 'agreed run' over a period of time, and define which livery they want ... bit of flexibility, possibly to cover for the ever-increasing for-a-good-cause limited edition this is.

OK, I can't totally disagree with the detractors - limited edition should define how many, etc ...

Would I have purchased a Hornby 66 if it wasn't this special case - to be honest, NO!

Al.