Rails mail

ColinB

GEM Norwich is my local shop and they will match any Hattons price if you ask. Their normal prices are well discounted on RRP. They don’t have normal on-line sales but they do have a FB selling page where they highlight products as they arrive, then you ring them up and they will post out at regular P&P rates.

It's always nice to 'support the local guy' and certainly when into R/C cars and trucks, it was always quite fun having a wander around, and also asking advice about oils, spring rates, toe in / out, etc ...

Similar experiences are had regularly, not always in model railway / hobby stores selling model railway equipment - I get that.

Unfortunately, with so much diversity of merchandise available - house, garden, car, sport, hobbies, food, drink - unless you live like a hermit, or are a millionaire, then money always comes into 'the equation'.

Al.

Relationships are hard. The current situation is obviously making things difficult. Everyone is looking for the most economic way to enjoy their hobby. But the thing is service and reliability are as important if not more given the situation. To fail your customers is, I would suggest, professional suicide given how fragile businesses are at present.

To cancel customer preorders, especially of limited edition products, is simply unacceptable. For many there will be no opportunity to get back in line for these items and it will disappoint many collectors and long standing customers.

Frankly the professional relationship between manufacturer and supplier here will cause significant impact on a large number of customer and could forever damage their credibility moving forward. Perhaps Rails might consider passing their preorders to Hornby to see if they would honour them? Would certainly do wonders for their image at present. 

I am afraid trying to use smaller retailers is a no-no for me. My experience is not very good. I pre-ordered the Duchess of Atholl from an essex based shop, I was required to pay in full up front and 7 months later the order was cancelled because their allocation was cut (according to them). They then gave me store credit (plus an extra £25 store credit, as reccompence. I had to ask them to refund me in full. And guess what the £25 was cancelled.

I understand that many of the smaller retailers are now requesting payment "up front" or asking for a deposit. If this does not guarantee the supply of the item I ask what is the point?

Anyhow I in a panic, transferred all my pre-orders that I had with Rails to Hornby instead, I hope that these will be safe.

By the way I pre-ordered The centenary rocket, I did not get that either.

Yes, I was disappointed to receive my e-mail from RoS, and am glad the last pre order was fullfilled, the Stephenson Rocket pack. Like others I didn't like the attitude on of both ROS and Hattons when the Hornby TV series was screened, and sent a message of support to Simon and Hornby.

I have dealt with both companies for years, being born in Liverpool, naturally for many years they were my sole port of call, until I discovered RoS. I have managed to visit them once, for Sheffield is out of my way, and I received excellent service and the staff are friendly, the same as Hattons. A cuppa anyone, especially when they find out you have travelled well over a hundred miles to visit them. Whatever this rift is between Hornby and RoS I hope they can resolve it. The primary consideration has got to be the the Model Railway Industry and its customers, there are enough challenges out there with Computer games, facebook, Apps. and the like without having rifts between ourselves.

Come on RoS and Hornby, kiss and make up, we will all be the better off for it. 

Mostly down to manufacturers Sxbiker and STG.  The small shops play second fiddle to the big boys or did.  As a retailer you can order something in January only for the manufacturer to cancel the order in December.  Not the small retailers fault.  A local shop in a nearby town hasn't seen a Hornby rep for nearly 4 years, and getting stock isn't easy, they ran out and had to use a wholesaler.

Very poor marketing from Hornby, then.  I hope Simon will improve things. Every Sales Director should have a sign on his wall "We will make it as EASY as possible for our customers to buy from us ."  And abide by it !  And make the customer feel that he is their personal representative in the company.

I would like to ask what is the situation between Hornby and Rails of Sheffield, on there website they say they cancelled all Hornby pre order products is this permanent or is it temporary?

You can ask but Hornby won’t answer either privately or on this forum, which incidentally they do not actively monitor or participate in.

The matter is private between them and RoS.  Would you give out your account details to the general public if you were having a disagreement with your bank.

You may notice they said pre-order sales which to my mind does not mean they will boycott all Hornby products.

Karma to Hornby.

The problem is these box shifters want all the profit.

Getting huge discounts from major manufacturers whilst driving down prices from smaller suppliers.

Then they get a cob on because the same manufacturers beat them to the post with a similar product.

Greed has a way of getting its own back. I didnt like the RoS owners attitude (or Hattons for that matter) when he was on the Hornby TV mini-series. A bit too much spoiled brat to me.

Only my personal opinion of course as I have had good service from both firms.

I don't necessarily think it's Karma to Hornby, I find Hornby a bit Arrogant too.