Number of decoders required for APT

ace2507

With the APT coach packs now in stock and the train packs expected in the next couple of months I was wondering how many decoders will be required. I am planning on running the full 14 car set with two powered NDM's so they will both require decoders but will I also need decoders in the driving cars.

• 2 months later...

Just to clarify I will agree the LaisDCC decoders work fine actually better that a lot more expensive ones I have used, it is just I normally use Zimo, I find they are a lot better with dirty track. I have a large layout so track cleaning will always be an issue. On all my DMUs or anywhere where I want just lighting I use the LaidDCC ones as they used to be about £10 each.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing them separately one at a time is likely to give a more successful outcome. But note that many decoders need to see a motor load to accept programming successfully.

Therefore it is wise to start with each non motor car decoder and configure it in the motor car, then relocate it to their final destination car. The final decoder to be configured in the motor car is then the one that has been assigned for use in it.

LaisDCC do a 7 wire decoder with no motor function for £10. It sounds ideal for lighting etc.

@ColinB. I usually get my LaisDCC chips from CM3 models at £10 a throw but they have had no stock of any other than the one mentioned above for some time now. Wonder what's happening there.

I get my LaisDCC decoders off CM3 models or Brian Wright via EBay. The supply does seem to fluctuate, I haven't seen the 8 pin direct fit one for ages. That one is exceptionally good for DMUs as no long length of wire to find room for. A bit too wide for a lot of steam locos unless it is in the tender. I haven't bought any for a while, so I haven't noticed that much.

The underside 'space' for decoders, under the removable panel, is rather small. The Hornby 8-pin decoder fits, just, but other slightly larger pcbs don't. To fit a sound decoder in the NDM car is a major operation, to locate the decoder pcb at one end of the (upper) body and the loudspeaker at the other end - this needs dismantling of the model and soldering/un-soldering to get wires through narrow gaps and lengthen wires.