Hush Hush

VESPA

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a mail from Hornby to say it is on its way. A 12.04am mail, surely they don't work on a Sunday at that time? It coming via Hermes so I won't be holding my breath waiting for it to come, that has got to be a 4 day wait from when Hermes get it (the mail just means it has got as far as Hornby "goods out"). The good news is the women round here that deliver for Hermes are very efficient once they get the parcel.

Same here. I suspect that it will be a complete wagon load pick up from Hornby with all the other orders they will be processing this week. Then it will get into the system. We have a massive hub about 3 miles from me and our local delivery chap is really good. The last one was rubbish.

Well, Hornby took my money for this on the 1st December, it wasn’t despatched until four days later and as of today (8th December) it is still sitting at the senders (Hornby) local Hermes hub which I guess is in Margate or somewhere near it and hasn’t progressed for a couple of days. So I guess the earliest I will get this will be this Friday if I’m lucky. That’s nearly two weeks since payment was taken. If I were to order from a ‘normal’ on-line retailer then this would normally be despatched same day after payment taken and I would ‘normally’ have a delivery option on check out. If available I always choose Royal Mail next day where I never have a problem - it’s always delivered next day.

So when buying direct from Hornby then, it isn’t despatched same day as payment taken and I didn’t have a choice of delivery upon checkout and Hornby in their infinite wisdom decided to use Hermes by default. My fault though as I somehow missed this one when I cancelled all my Hornby preorders. I have now made sure that I have no outstanding preorders left on their system. Am I going to die if a particular product is sold out prior to release? No of course not. But I certainly won’t be held to ransom from Hornby paying and waiting for a product to arrive for which I would imagine would be about two weeks by the time it arrives. Absolutely disgraceful service from Hornby and I’m so glad that I’m now free of their preorders once this one is delivered.

@Graham1 I was thinking exactly the same thoughts myself. Earlier in the year when Hornby redefined how their preorders would be distributed a lot of people suggested that they wanted to sell direct. If they do, they need to improve their act substantially. 2022 I suspect will be an interesting year, given their new pricing policy will they sell out quite so quickly, now a lot of their models are over £200 will the customer expect much better quality.Who knows?

@96RAF something is really going wrong, the advantage of ordering from Hornby was you got it before anyone else, there were posts on this Forum stating exactly that. I don't know until I get my credit card bill, sadly that part of the Hornby webpage appears not to be working at the moment. The other day it wouldn't work on Chrome but would work on Firefox. Today it doesn't work on either. Last I looked, my loco is somewhere in Hermes.

@96RAF something is really going wrong, the advantage of ordering from Hornby was you got it before anyone else, there were posts on this Forum stating exactly that. I don't know until I get my credit card bill, sadly that part of the Hornby webpage appears not to be working at the moment. The other day it wouldn't work on Chrome but would work on Firefox. Today it doesn't work on either. Last I looked, my loco is somewhere in Hermes.

Mine is still stuck in the Hermes senders Hub somewhere in Margate I guess and has been for the last three days - hasn’t moved according to the Hermes website tracking. So some folk have ordered from somewhere other than Hornby direct and it’s sitting on their layout. Mine? I paid on the 1st December and I’m still no further forward apart from the fact that it’s still sitting in a trolley somewhere in Margate waiting to be sorted. Lesson learnt. Never, ever again.

Now lets get this straight Hornby only do free delivery because virtually everybody else does it. From my experience Hornby are the only ones I deal with that use Hermes, most of the others use Royal Mail. Admittedly they generally use second class but either way the service is generally quicker than Hermes. Hornby charges full price for its locos, most of the retailers are 10% down on that, so I think most people are justified in complaining. As to the postage option, I would not pay for special delivery but I definitely would for First Class. I regularly pay the extra when I buy a loco from Bure Valley or YouChoos.

Hornby told me over a week ago, possibly two that my loco was in stock, they updated the message that is was dispatched on Sunday night. Hermes picked it up two days later and most of the time the Hermes web site doesn't work, so I don't even know where it is. Incidentally I won a loco on EBay on Sunday, the guy sent it Hermes, admittedly it hasn't arrived yet but at least I can see its progress. So what service of Hermes is Hornby using?

So what service of Hermes is Hornby using?

I have used the link provided and sometimes it's there in the Hermes network and then not showing. I also have another Hermes link and put the number into that and it always shows "in the Hermes Network" That usually means, from experience, they are inundated and unable to cope and will apply size 10 footprints to the damaged carton it's packed in.