European Purchase

redjules51

To follow up Rana's comments; there are plenty of government advice lines on the internet explaining VAT & Customs liabilities. I can't recall the details but think VAT might be charged on goods above £15 or £18 and the Custom's Duty threshold is around £125 but please check for yourself.

@ Corky,

Are you resident outside of the UK?

The OP is talking about a purchase outside of the UK.

I had assumed the OP is resident in the UK and buying from a Supplier in Europe and thus importing, he may be resident in Europe and is simply asking about warranties!

I know if I buy stuff from the US warranties are usually void. There again it costs so much in Shipping to send it both ways that it is generally not worth the effort, then there are all the issues with Customs. I agree with everyone else, ask Hornby.

Hi, I have recently bought a item from Canada where I believe the same import fees apply to purchases from Europe.

Depending on price of item, you may have to pay up to 3 charges.

1. If the item has a value of over £135.00, including the cost of post and packing, Custom Duty of 2.5%,lower rates for some goods, is payable.
  2. VAT charged on all goods, normally 20%.
  3. The company who deliver the goods for you, mostly have clearance fees. Parcel post, charge £12, Royal Mail, £8, DPD £5, per parcel.

To give you idea, the exchange rate for my purchase was £326.42, VAT came to £67.84 (donot know how it came to that) plus Parcel Force fee £12. Total £79.84. To pay before delivery. Parcel due to delivered Monday so can see breakdown of import charges.

I have bought from abroad in the past so charges were no surprise.

One tip if you are buying via Ebay is to ask for global shipping for your postage option, this may work out cheaper. The postage charge may seem high but includes all duties and no extra clearance charges. The parcel arrives at your door step as normal.

Worth a look on Gov. site as there can be exceptions to charges.

When I buy stuff from the US, I normally have to pay import duty 10% plus Vat. I think if it is second hand you avoid some of the charges. I used to buy lots of Triumph Motorcycle spares from the US, the prices were so cheap then that I was happy to pay any import duty. The EBay scheme is brilliant you get it quicker and avoid the Royal Mail handling charge.

Many thanks for all the replies. I received the item yesterday and all appers ok. I made sure at point of purchase that VAT and customs duty were included. I believe that the warranty is the same as if purchased in the UK.

My previous dealings with Hornby for both in and outside of warranty periods have been marvellous and I have never been charged for any repairs or warranty jobs, even having my courier costs refunded. This includes items originally purchased new from others.