Airfix 2022 New Releases Spoiler

Pretty Mediocre Modeller

With the Airfix 2022 range due to be released tomorrow, I was surprised to receive an email from Airfix today informing me that they are going to be dropping a new tool Spitfire IXc on us in 1/24! has anyone else got this message or is it just me?

https://uk.airfix.com/products/supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-a17001?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=New+Super+Kit&utm_campaign=Airfix-+New+Kit+-+week+41+21%2F22&modal=-zoom

Ayup PMM,

No. it’s all of us I guess. I’ve just ordered two, as hopefully one decal option will be that of Johnny Johnson, JE-J. So that I can build one immediately and put it on a table with my original almost 50 year old 1:72nd baggy/blister pack, over which I had so many arguments (the bad feeling over which continues strongly to this day) over what constitutes a ‘Classic ‘. Obviously the MK 9

is now in the ascendancy. And is a Classic, whatever scale, by one of the ‘Superstar’ pilots. And about time.

Ayup PMM,

No. it’s all of us I guess. I’ve just ordered two, as hopefully one decal option will be that of Johnny Johnson, JE-J. So that I can build one immediately and put it on a table with my original almost 50 year old 1:72nd baggy/blister pack, over which I had so many arguments (the bad feeling over which continues strongly to this day) over what constitutes a ‘Classic ‘. Obviously the MK 9
is now in the ascendancy. And is a Classic, whatever scale, by one of the ‘Superstar’ pilots. And about time.

Sorry, no JE-J markings included according to the site, there's one RAF with invasion stripes, an RCAF machine, a USAAF desert scheme and a French Armée de l'Air. I should think after market sets will come out though.

Ayup PMM,

Sorry, no JE-J markings included according to the site, there's one RAF with invasion stripes, an RCAF machine, a USAAF desert scheme and a French Armée de l'Air. I should think after market sets will come out though.

Well PMM, then it’s time to cancel my order. I’ve read that JE-J had a non-spec configuration of blisters for its armament but I’ll have to do further research. If the right armament and blisters etc etc are available, then the markings as such don’t really matter. I’ve already been approached to buy masks for JE-J. But I’m not going to invest almost £200 for incorrect material attributes to this airframe. It’s OK in 1/72nd, but not in 1/24th.

Ayup...

I've just read that Johnson took a new mk 9, Spit, A-EB, for himself, to which he changed The registry to J-EJ, as he was a squadron leader, and this was EN 398. So not a loss then after all ? Maybe the Airfix peeps wanna keep us modellers on our toes ? But I don’t understand why they don’t capitalise on one of their nest known, best selling kits ever ?

Ayup...

I've just read that Johnson took a new mk 9, Spit, A-EB, for himself, to which he changed The registry to J-EJ, as he was a squadron leader, and this was EN 398. So not a loss then after all ? Maybe the Airfix peeps wanna keep us modellers on our toes ? But I don’t understand why they don’t capitalise on one of their nest known, best selling kits ever ?

Just for the record, EN398 was flown by Ian Keltie of 402 Sqd RCAF during February and March of ‘43 and he had the aircraft adorned with the Popeye nose art. According to Morgan & Shacklady this aircraft first flew on 13 Feb 43, arrived at the Canadian Kelley Wing and assigned to 402 Sqd on 18 Feb 43 was turned over to 416 Sqd on 23 March 43 when 416 replaced 402. In early April, some AST Mods were performed on the aircraft with it returning to the wing on 16 April 43 shortly after JEJ’s arrival there to take over from WC Hodson. Johnny Johnson took over the wing on 21 March 43 according to Griffon & Kostenchuck. When he actually arrived and actually met up with EN398 is any bodies guess.

Tim

Ayup...

Just for the record, EN398 was flown by Ian Keltie of 402 Sqd RCAF during February and March of ‘43 and he had the aircraft adorned with the Popeye nose art. According to Morgan & Shacklady this aircraft first flew on 13 Feb 43, arrived at the Canadian Kelley Wing and assigned to 402 Sqd on 18 Feb 43 was turned over to 416 Sqd on 23 March 43 when 416 replaced 402. In early April, some AST Mods were performed on the aircraft with it returning to the wing on 16 April 43 shortly after JEJ’s arrival there to take over from WC Hodson. Johnny Johnson took over the wing on 21 March 43 according to Griffon & Kostenchuck. When he actually arrived and actually met up with EN398 is any bodies guess.

Tim

I am sure that the tool will be designed to allow configurations of all of the wings and differences of the 60 series Merlin variants.

But you can almost bet that the aftermarket resin folks will be all over this opportunity right out of the gate!

Airfix will be able to put out new variations of these aircraft ‘til my 4 month old grandson is my age.

Tim

I can't believe someone has found cause to complain already with hours of a new tool announcement?!! Yes it happens every year but it still astounds me!

Airfix ignore all the negativity, to me it looks like a Spectacular kit! WELL DONE!!

I've ordered one and I expect that I'll be having more. The marking options don't bother me as I will create my own paint masks and first up will be one of the 2 well know JE-J schemes, they are quite different from each other and I'll probably do them both, at least. I already have them on file as I've cut them in 1/32 and 1/48 scales.

I am blown away with this release, nicely done Airfix. I'm a bit concerned about here being a headrest though as these were discontinued sometime in 1941?

There were 2 personal aircraft assigned to Wing Commander Johnny Johnson; the well known JE-J, and the slightly less well known JE-J jr. Both of them carried full "invasion stripes" in June and July 1944. "jr" was also one of the famous "beer runners" in July.

Ayup...

Well Ken, for whatever mad reason, JE-J hasn’t been put on the decal list. But the aircraft that became it, A-EB EN398, is. I don’t understand why not as it would pair perfectly with the 50-year old 1/72 Veteran ‘Vintage Classic’ that is JE-J. Maybe they’re not proud of their heritage ? I don’t know why they should be.

Maybe the new management doesn’t wanna be associated with the million plus seller as it’s so relatively basic, (but brilliant -I first made it when I was six or seven- and I Love it) Or maybe the decal man likes Invasion stripes more ? Who knows ?

I can think of one decal man who’s worked for Airfix allegedly, potentially kyboshing that option, but then again, the options shirley have to get thru the Marketing and development director ? Who knows.

Thank god for aftermarket though. Mal is already here pressing the flesh ! And wallets no doubt.

There were 2 personal aircraft assigned to Wing Commander Johnny Johnson; the well known JE-J, and the slightly less well known JE-J jr. Both of them carried full "invasion stripes" in June and July 1944. "jr" was also one of the famous "beer runners" in July.

Hi Ken

WC Johnson had at least three mark IX’s with his initials on them.

JEJ-EN398 was used in Johnny’s first period leading the Canadian Kenley (later called #127 Airfield then 127 Wing with the forming of the 2nd Tactical AF) wing from March through October 1943 at his end of tour.

JEJ-MK392 was used on a subsequent tour of action from March 1944 through April 1945 in Johnny’s time leading #144 wing RCAF and after a reorganization of the three RCAF Spitfire wings, from July 1944, leading #127 wing RCAF again.

JEJjr-MK329 was used some time during this second period, yet this aircraft is not identified in Morgan & Shacklady.

Tim

• 6 months later...
Well Ken, for whatever mad reason, JE-J hasn’t been put on the decal list. But the aircraft that became it, A-EB EN398, is. I don’t understand why not as it would pair perfectly with the 50-year old 1/72 Veteran ‘Vintage Classic’ that is JE-J. Maybe they’re not proud of their heritage ? I don’t know why they should be.

Well Feanor, it appears from last weeks “Workbench” post that Airfix is listening and has included the decals for EN398 “JE-J” in the up coming release of the 1/24th Spitfire Mk IXc kit.

I know that this will make you and many others very happy!

I am guessing by the time the first run of this model has been sold out you will be able to build it representing most of the squadrons, Aces and wing leaders that flew it.

Decisions, decisions…. Wally MacLeod early 1944 or the locally owned / flown NH188 from the early 60’s

Tim