Track cleaning frequency

Brew Man

As the two options recommended within this thread are becoming much closer in price, I've ordered the CMX today and expect it Tuesday.

Unless I'm mistaken, the latter is now only circa. 60% more in price than the Sharge alternative [based on the Sharge official website].

Reviews across the web suggest suggest the same as has been outlined here; whilst the Sharge is very good, the CMX is indeed the market leader.

Edit.

Ah, sorry, I didn't see the final post and see you've since made a decision and have been successfully using your selection 👍

Well 60% is quite a lot don't you think. Looking at reviews of the Sharge, there is a very good one by Jerry Allen of Kampala Road. It's in 2 Youtube parts and is quite frank and thorough. Interestingly he says that in two or more conversations with George who makes the Sharge, he intimates that CMX ripped off his idea. I certainly haven't read any negative reviews of the product other than a few niggles, but you'll get that with pretty well anything.

Right, I've just ordered a Heljan Class 33. I don't really do Diesel but from what I am reading there aren't really any steam locos that will do the job and the class 33 will apparently pull a house down. Slight exaggeration I'm sure but we get the idea. Also, watching the Kampala Road YT video by Jerry Allen, he was using a Class 33 to pull his Sharge. So that's what I ordered, and you never know I might get a taste for running Diesels as well as steam, not at the same time of course open_mouth.

I suspect the Class 70 I have pulling it is overkill.

I had a choice of a Class 14, 20, 31, 37's, 47, 57's and a 66 but decided to go with the Class 70 beast.

As far as my range, I suspect anything from the 37 upwards would be perfectly fine, given that my 31 is the railroad version.

@morairamike
The pressure exerted on the rails by the cleaning pad is adjustable.

Yes I suspect my cleaning pads are probably set at too high a pressure. I tried my Prairie but the wheels just spun round. My King Class will pull it but only with much wheel slippage on the way round. I take it that the pressure you have yours set at is sufficient to adequately clean the track? Obviously the higher the pressure you can get away with the better. Anyway, having ordered the Class 33 I'm quite looking forward to it. It will put a new slant on things.

Yes the cleaning is excellent at the pressure I have it set at. To check how clean it is, before cleaning wipe a white cloth (a spectacle cleaning cloth is good), over a 6 inch section. Note the dirt on it. Clean the track and then wipe the cloth over the next 6 inch section and compare the two.

Yes the cleaning is excellent at the pressure I have it set at.........

Yes, thanks. I did reduce the pressure a bit after my previous post and the Prairie now pulls it, although there were a few mysterious stops in places where no wheel spin was apparent and no amount of encouragement started it off again. Uncoupled the the Sharge and off it went again. Bit of an odd one that. I haven't tried the 'cloth test' yet but I'm fairly confident the Sharge was making good contact with the track.

I'm still glad I've ordered the Class 33 though and there are a couple of other diesels I wouldn't mind having as well, such as a Class 08 and Class 20.

Check that you have no raised rail joins, although they are in the fish plates sometimes the rail head is slightly proud of it's neighbour and the pad catches on it and stops the forward movement.

I have a Bachmann class 20 with sound. Excellent. I have a Hornby 08 railroad model, let's say even weighed down with 5 size 10 nuts it's not the best of runners.

I find that my unit loses a little pace over points, but that's because many of mine are not yet fully flat.

Also, as the points aren't fully flat I get the most amount of fluid at these points and none on straight and curved track, so much so that there's some spillage.

I guess the is because the pressure on the pad is significantly higher on the 'raised/arched' points.

As your track cleaner travels along the normal track the velour pad rubs on two rail heads. When it encounters points it rubs on many more rail heads some of which are angled across the pad. The pad has a short pile which if you are cleaning in one direction is against the flow, which increases friction, in the other it is with the flow so no increase.

I have the Dapol cleaner truck and as a hoover it is brilliant but as a rail top wiper it is useless. The cleaning fluid runs out within seconds as there is no metering adjustment on the dripper and if the rotary scrubber is used it can flip your points depending upon its set direction promptly derailing the whole show. Not really recommended as a track cleaner.

As your track cleaner travels along the normal track the velour pad rubs on two rail heads. When it encounters points it rubs on many more rail heads some of which are angled across the pad. The pad has a short pile which if you are cleaning in one direction is against the flow, which increases friction, in the other it is with the flow so no increase.

Of course 👍

As it was my first real clean since relegating the dreadful Dapol cleaner to ebay and tiring of cleaning such a large layout with a rubber, I did have the drop rate quite high, so inevitably a further factor.

Received my Class 33 today. I'm not normally a diesel person but this is a very good looking loco. After giving it the 9V battery test I fitted a decoder and hooked it up to the Sharge. Wow! it pulled it round like it wasn't even there. Well chuffed sunglasses

An excellent track cleaning system, I bought my CMX many years ago . And wouldn’t be without it. It came complete with a plastic syringe , spare rubber washers for the flow adjusters , a how to use leaflet, strips of corduroy to be cut to length and a small bottle of cleaning fluid ( now using 99.9 % isopropyl alcohol ) . I tend to run it weekly behind a class 47 .

after about 20 mins. Of running it’s time to change the corduroy ready for next time and it always surprises me at the amount of dirt it picks up ..

....I tend to run it weekly behind a class 47.

That seems a lot, unless you spend hours and hours each week on your hobby.

Having just bought the CMX unit, do you feel that overkill [i'm quite obsessive in certain aspects] or does your track really warrant that regularity?

Thanks 👍

@Will Hay

maybe overkill.. being retired I probably use it more than most .. The unit is part of a rake of wagons and I enjoy seeing it running around. I have a supply of pads pre cut and will change it whenever I think it’s necessary. If I’m honest the pads are dry a lot of the times just keeping my track clear of dust . It certainly is no hardship for the 47 to push it down sidings or pull it around the main lines.

my layout is in a centrally heated spare bedroom so it doesn’t suffer from any unwanted elements .

it most certainly doesn’t warrant that regularity as I’m sure you’ll find out , but I park it in a siding and latch it up during some running sessions.. I did see one somewhere that had been disguised as an oil tanker, it did look good …. Maybe one day ..

@Will Hay
maybe overkill.. being retired I probably use it more than most .. .

How do you find it over points?

Having rarely cleaned my rather large track I followed the instructions and set it at one drop every six seconds and, as my points aren't level [and, as has been pointed out to me, a series a different angles coming together] I suffered a lot of spillage [with none over curves and straight track].

I guess your drop rate is quite subtle?

Thanks.

@Will Hay,

” spillage “ …that gives me a picture of your unit either overturned and left to leak out , or the unit stationary and leaking !!

The thing to remember is that you’re not to put too much pressure on the pads . There is a screw to adjust pad pressure . All you need is for the pad to skim over the track . It’s not a short sharp abrasive action , it’s a gentle smooth flowing skim . So I would try lifting the pad pressure. And as for my points ;which are peco electro frog , never had a problem in either direction.

I do feel you need to raise the pad pressure ..

All the best .