Laisdcc Standard / Kung Fu & Stay Alive Decoders

Chris-K

Hi, can anyone tell me if they are using a Hornby controller with a laisdcc decoder, I'm having a Kung Fu one fitted with stay alive but being told there not compatible with the Hornby controllers, I have a Select that is having the firmware upgraded to 1.6 and want to know if it will work

Thanks

LaisDCC decoders work fine with Hornby Controllers, at least they do with my Elite. I also have a Select but can't remember if I've used it with a LDCC. I'm pretty sure if you upgrade the firmware to 1.6 you'll have no issues with it.

@Chris-k.......I have just tested my Bachmann 'Evening Star' loco fitted with a Lais 8pin decoder using the Select v1.6 and it runs perfectly so be confident that your's will be fine.

Brilliant, thanks for doing that, that gives me some hope, I'm just waiting on my first loco coming back which has been converted with a Kung Fu decoder and stay alive Also waiting on my select coming back from its 1.6 update so fingers crossed, I will let you know, sorry if this has come across as a duplicate post that wasn't the intention

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
@Chris-k.......I have just tested my Bachmann 'Evening Star' loco fitted with a Lais 8pin decoder using the Select v1.6 and it runs perfectly so be confident that your's will be fine.

Brilliant, thanks for doing that, that gives me some hope, I'm just waiting on my first loco coming back which has been converted with a Kung Fu decoder and stay alive Also waiting on my select coming back from its 1.6 update so fingers crossed, I will let you know, sorry if this has come across as a duplicate post that wasn't the intention

Chris

Hi, Just an update on this, Have recieved my updated select controller from hornby which is now running v1.6 also the class 31 train with the Laisdcc decoder and kung fu keep alive fitted, Have tried programming the train, when programming the red light flashes around 7 times the train then moves on its own a couple inches stops, I turn the dial and the train moves, turn the dial the otherway and sometimes it will go in the other direction then stops then whatever i do with the dial nothing happens, So im guessing it just isnt compatible i have tried programming the train with various numbers all program ok but i either get the train move 1 way and stop and thats it with the dial or it will let me move it one way then the other then stop and thats it every time, Anyone else had this, i have tried 3 other trains programmed which are all hornby dcc factory fitted trains and they are fine?

Thanks

Chris

Aim your rip-off decoder at the nearest bin and fit a genuine named product. These back-engineered decoders cannot be relied upon to conform to any set standards so if they do work with any particular controller - all fine and dandy - if they don’t then I am not surprised.

BTW - Select controller speed control is from off to max with direction controlled by left and right arrows. Not sure where you this way and that that way speed knob control comes from.

Aim your rip-off decoder at the nearest bin and fit a genuine named product. These back-engineered decoders cannot be relied upon to conform to any set standards so if they do work with any particular controller - all fine and dandy - if they don’t then I am not surprised.
BTW - Select controller speed control is from off to max with direction controlled by left and right arrows. Not sure where you this way and that that way speed knob control comes from.

If this is the case and i need a better controller but nothing to over the top any sugestions on what a good controller would work?
Thanks

You may be looking at this from the wrong end. The Select controller is very capable, the decoders maybe not.

However its your money so go for a super-dooper controller at mega-bucks if you think it will fix the problem, but there are no guarantees it will work with your particular decoder unless a forum member can validate the exact combination.

You may be looking at this from the wrong end. The Select controller is very capable, the decoders maybe not.
However its your money so go for a super-dooper controller at mega-bucks if you think it will fix the problem, but there are no guarantees it will work with your particular decoder unless a forum member can validate the exact combination

Thanks I see what your saying it's a shame as I've just paid to have this done fitted with the stay alive, serviced and controller updated firmware thinking it would of worked, it's a triang Class 31 R357 so it has one of the older motors in it requiring a higher amp decoder, I heard alot good things on here and the net about the laisdcc decoders being ok and working fine for a lot of people without issues thinking it would of been ok, bit unsure what to do with it now, wondering if an elite might work better

Also I've seen you can get a 4amp power supply rather then the standard 1amp, is it possible the controller just isn't powerful enough with the 1amp for this kind of train being the old triang Hornby R357 class 31 model? The p9300 transformer?

Thanks

The controller will struggle when you exceed the maximum amperage which, from experience, is four modern locomotives.

I'd be amazed if the R357 won't work when it's the only unit on the track, having previously used a select controller with LaisDCC decoders.

Oh, for goodness sake, please don't go spending a fortune on an Elite that you don't need.

I recently sold the 4amp PSU I used to use with the select I had, it went for around 18GBP on ebay.

That should be your next option, not three figures on an elite controller you don't need.

@ Chris-K

I have a standard Lais 21 pin decoder, without a stay alive, fitted in a Dapol Western class 52. I normally use Railmaster and eLink, with a 4 amp power adapter, for my normal control. However, I still have two Selects which have recently been upgraded to version 1.6. and I have just connected one up to my layout, in place of the eLink. I have tested the class 52 with the Select and it responds correctly to the controls in both directions.

I appreciate that it is not quite the same set up as your loco, but I have not had any problems with this Lais decoder.

Just out of interest, are you using a 1 amp or 4 amp power adapter? If you are using a 1amp adapter, then this may possibly be the problem, considering the current draw from the old style motor.

OssieB

@ Chris-K
I have a standard Lais 21 pin decoder, without a stay alive, fitted in a Dapol Western class 52. I normally use Railmaster and eLink, with a 4 amp power adapter, for my normal control. However, I still have two Selects which have recently been upgraded to version 1.6. and I have just connected one up to my layout, in place of the eLink. I have tested the class 52 with the Select and it responds correctly to the controls in both directions.
I appreciate that it is not quite the same set up as your loco, but I have not had any problems with this Lais decoder.
Just out of interest, are you using a 1 amp or 4 amp power adapter? If you are using a 1amp adapter, then this may possibly be the problem, considering the current draw from the old style motor.
OssieB

It does work for a few seconds then cuts out and sometimes get a flashing E on the screen maybe I need the 4amp power supply as modern trains are working a treat I think I'll try the upgraded power supply and see how it goes

Thanks everyone for your help

The controller will struggle when you exceed the maximum amperage which, from experience, is four modern locomotives.
I'd be amazed if the R357 won't work when it's the only unit on the track, having previously used a select controller with LaisDCC decoders.

Oh, for goodness sake, please don't go spending a fortune on an Elite that you don't need.
I recently sold the 4amp PSU I used to use with the select I had, it went for around 18GBP on ebay.
That should be your next option, not three figures on an elite controller you don't need.

Thanks Will, that's what I'm going to do and see how I get on with the better power supply thanks for your help

Thanks

@Chris-K

If you are going to upgrade to 4 amp adapter, you can buy Hornby's one or there is a suitable one for a laptop with the correct connection plug to suit Hornby Select, Elite and eLink. I cannot remember which laptop it is, but if you do a search of the forum you may find the correct reference. The pin size required is 6.3mm outer diam and 3.0mm inside diam. Alternatively, another member may have the details and will reply to this post.

OssieB

Now you have told about the Select screen anomalies that is symptomatic of the controller 1-amp power supply browning out in self protection, causing the Select to continually reboot.

The E tells of overload but doesn’t tell us if that is due to heavy current draw by a loco or simply a short somewhere. That needs investigating further by taking all locos off track and replacing them one by one starting with the suspect one.

A 4-amp supply will improve that situation as it ups the overload protection to that given by the Select not the wall-wart supply.. You should look for a Toshiba laptop PSU with the correct 6.3 x 3 mm jack plug, which can be found for around £15 on Amazon, much less than the almost identical Hornby/Scalex unit.

From a quick research, I think the laptop adapter is a Toshiba and here is a link to a suitable one with the correct size plug. It is suitable for up to 5 amps, but this is perfectly OK.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133937233159?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1f2f47fd07:g:xlgAAOSwXmNhlMv~&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA8HVuLg%2F18eib7LHL5C1N3g4e6ETLkJUH6QTUDSDbYNbt85DObuI0%2FG%2F1Wzn2oENMvrQGJ0hidkyZGOSIXNx8B0kqIhfqx7Vdx85Ulje%2BGeyxPhpOsmAEOL%2FBVFaf%2Bw08CaxhTmTYDiAqR%2BEX9lJR0rCzxvuX2VXcRvfcoOuY8Xq7WQx4p%2FYuCWYkrlCzE38W4VIk%2BkGAdm0II5gONVEBZfnHpavKmlrJureO6IJ2or%2B00v3r8MhWEMGcOz2uXnYhS9Nqqp%2Bcmuz6V8pOSjw5%2FDDv%2Br8R%2FLo6tHJk6IX%2BpzKPJ%2FPHCH3uxeHca48SrgtZSw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM9JW_vf1f

Issues

Wow, Thanks everyone very very helpful let's hope I get to the bottom of this be a nice one to solve and maybe help others to

Chris

Chris-K, have you noticed that, unlike you, no one replying to you is repeating your posts as you have been repeating ours. That’s because we reply by going to the text box at the bottom of the page then hitting the green Post Reply button, rather than using the blue button within your posts.

Could you please do the same. I’m finding it quite tiresome looking for your content in others’ replies.

PS. You’ll find exactly the same advice in the top sticky thread in the General forum that gives info for new forum users.

Hi everyone, have tried the 15v 5amp toshiba power pack on the select controller still does the same, lets me control it sometimes in both directions then stops and wont let me do anymore also sometimes get e01 on the screen with all lights flashing, very odd and intermittent when it does let me control it, it tends to let me move in both directions once then when i stop it and try to move it again it just won't move

Chris