The Queens Platinum Jubilee Loco

ColinB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I liked the look of it and then I saw the price. I imagine there will be takers, it is above what I want to pay. I did pay that much for my class 812 but that did include decent sound. They are nice locos. I suppose as it costs, so much Hornby can probably guarantee that it will be made in time. I assume it is only available from Hornby direct.

Obviously some like it as it is now "Out of stock"; I guess that means the limited edition of 1,500 all taken with pre-orders. I wonder if Hornby will do a "Sir Tom" and increase the production number once they realise they have underestimated the demand.

What a fantastic colour, almost enough to get me back into OO.....

Also available from the Severn Valley Railway who are also showing their initial allocation out of stock. That's a huge sales result for both Hornby and the SVR.

(Edit: Andy posted as I was writing.)

Speaking personally, not to my taste and far too expensive for my wallet. However, do not forget the historical precedent set by the LNWR for Victoria's jubilee - a Webb compound finished in cream and purple. I don't think anyone ever produced a model of it though.

I'd consider it for 2secs it if it was gloss finish, but £269! I am lucky I could afford, it but would not buy on principal of way overpriced compared to what Accurascale can do. Besides after last couple of years complaints direct to Hornby about poor QC and poor runners and their "stuff you mug, we've got your money " email reply's, I doubt they would care.

Never buying Hornby again no matter what they do. Do like coming on here though to see what others say.

best regards to all

Well ive ordered one direct from hornby,it will be a nice addition to my collection.I might be wrong but I feel that this train wouldn't be produced by hornby if it wasn't for the SVR,they have taken there TAW VALLEY and repainted, named and numbered for the Platinum Jubilee Celebrations after which it will be put back to it original livery,,mjb

Yes, I liked the look of it and then I saw the price. I imagine there will be takers, it is above what I want to pay. I did pay that much for my class 812 but that did include decent sound. They are nice locos. I suppose as it costs, so much Hornby can probably guarantee that it will be made in time. I assume it is only available from Hornby direct.

I think the 1500 has been split between various sources. I have had an email from a well known supplier, saying they have a limited number available - order now.

I agree with Willie - not really rushed through, if it's not available until the Autumn - at the earliest!

Not sure that I really like it. Saw it recently and said, “Bet Hornby make an L/E model; voila, two days later…

As a modeler and collector, first reaction was, “not my cuppa tea”. When I saw announcement this morning and saw it sold out at Hornby, then said, “Hum… must be something there.”

Preordered one from another source. If I don’t like it, I suspect someone else will?

Here is a Cheap way of doing things - just get yourself a 4-6-2 Loco (if you & haven't got 1 already) spray / paint it purple - rename it "Elizabeth II" & Renumber it "70" & Bobs your uncle - That is what Hornby has done!!! 🚂

You would like to think production has been allocated for this model well in advance of the announcement, but I will be interested to see if Hornby can meet the "Autumn 2022" delivery date. As I am hoping to be in England for my first ever visit in June I would very much like to have a ride behind the real thing, would be quite something I'm sure.

HK.

HIDEOUS to say the least and the real loco Taw Valley needs putting back into green asap. No doubt they will become as rare as donkey do and in 10 years sell for £Ks

I forgot to add, that I saw an AUDI custom sprayed in purple yesterday, in Tesco car park. It sounded like it was fitted with sewage pipes and driven by someone with one braincell. Luckily Tesco sell anti sickness pils.

@jj - I'll be tuning into your latest youtube video where you respray a 4-6-2 purple and stick on some transfers, just as Hornby have done......yum

Such a shame that the model is OO and not HO. It would be a perfect match for my Rheingold coaches........better than the green locos that usually get to haul it!

forum_image_626273a04d1b2.thumb.png.2f57bef87ec63f0d63718382a3ff6eb9.png