The Queens Platinum Jubilee Loco

ColinB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is 2500 now then it is no longer limited edition, I fill sorry for those people that thought it was limited to 1500. I like the look of the loco but at that price I am not that interested. The bigger issue is now Hornby thinks there is a market for locos with prices this high, are we to expect more price rises this year. Fortunately, most of the other loco suppliers locos are nowhere near this price, so their products are more desirable to me.

Or the ex-Midland compound in Daily Mail yellow/red "Andy Capp" special. I tried to repaint a railroad one myself but the yellow did not cover properly, so bought an old BR lined black tender drive body (loco and tender)

You would like to think production has been allocated for this model well in advance of the announcement, but I will be interested to see if Hornby can meet the "Autumn 2022" delivery date. As I am hoping to be in England for my first ever visit in June I would very much like to have a ride behind the real thing, would be quite something I'm sure.

HK.

If you are in England 2nd-5th June and can get to the SVR then you will be able to see her and have a ride in a carriage behind her ,,go to SVR.co.uk for more info..

@ColinB - 'If it is 2500 now then it is no longer limited edition, I fill sorry for those people that thought it was limited to 1500.'

I feel sorry for the people that think a Ltd Ed is something special. Hornby have quite rightly noted that there is much more interest in the model than the 1500 original units will cater for and have increased the production run accordingly. I would expect if interest continues to grow then the run may be enlarged again. The model is to be enjoyed and I know that some sad individuals will try and turn a profit on it but that's the way of the world and an increased run will limit the speculators.

I have a few Ltd Ed models. 20 years later they are all quite difficult to get on Ebay, one of them may even sell for more than I paid if I wanted to get rid of it!

Roco 43330. Ltd Ed of 8000, increased from an initial 5000 to meet demand. £400 in 2001. So advanced at the time but now obsolete and very difficult to bring up to date so I won't bother.

forum_image_62644e03a55c6.thumb.png.23b09a4dc126c69397d5782c4927e111.png

Bachmann DF11. Ltd Ed of 5000. £100 in 2000

forum_image_62644e09692ac.thumb.png.d943672f4c4de91db26855dd961c48d4.png

Nickle Plate Products NKP 177. Ltd Ed of 50(!) in 1977. £100 in 1990.

forum_image_62644e0f4eb93.thumb.png.fddfa5a7349e6c3327b0d3f793418ef8.png

All three are in good boxed and running condition. The DF11 would probably make more than I paid, but hardly an investment. Hornby's mission is to satisfy as many customers as it can with the purple pacific and not worry about it being anyone's investment or heirloom. As to the price. Already 1500 people have indicated they are prepared to pay £270 for it. I suspect even more will. The possible worry for Hornby will be if those people cancel a preordered 9F, A3, P2 or similar to fund the purchase of the purple one!

I hope all who have ordered 'Elizabeth II' are happy with it. I did consider it, but all those models listed above were bought when I was young and single. These days I am more disciplined with my choices and keep to my theme and era......

If you are in England 2nd-5th June and can get to the SVR then you will be able to see her and have a ride in a carriage behind her ,,go to SVR.co.uk for more info..

Thank mjb, I do intend looking into it. As it happens I should be there during those dates, though my primary reason for coming to the UK is to watch the New Zealand cricket team play England at Lords. It has been a life-long dream to visit Lords and see my team play there, closely followed by riding on British trains new and old. As you will possibly know the Test Match is being played 2-6th June, I hadn't realised until recently that this is the main weekend for The Queen's Jubilee celebrations. So, unless the rain sets in at the cricket, I will be there rather than near the SVR on these dates. I don't imagine the weather will dare to spoil The Queen's big weekend, will it?

HK

Thank mjb, I do intend looking into it. As it happens I should be there during those dates, though my primary reason for coming to the UK is to watch the New Zealand cricket team play England at Lords. It has been a life-long dream to visit Lords and see my team play there, closely followed by riding on British trains new and old. As you will possibly know the Test Match is being played 2-6th June, I hadn't realised until recently that this is the main weekend for The Queen's Jubilee celebrations. So, unless the rain sets in at the cricket, I will be there rather than near the SVR on these dates. I don't imagine the weather will dare to spoil The Queen's big weekend, will it?

HK

A bank holiday and a test match at lords = Rain !!!!

But the way our cricket team is playing ..will be all over in three days ..

I pre ordered it, but I don't know if I should cancel it. The thing Is pretty complicated to me, here is why.

I live in Colombia (South America), and this hobby is almost nonexistent here, there's only one hobby shop that sells few trains and train sets, mainly from Roco. Right now they are selling a train set from Roco that comes with a steam loco and 6 wagons (DCC and sound, wireless controller, and a track with a left hand deviation), Roco 51337 is the reference if you wanna take a look at it.

The thing is that I only own the newest Harry Potter train set from Hornby (DC), and a little train set from Fleischmann (which is DCC fitted), and I don't know what to do, if save enough money to buy the train set I mentioned above, or just keep the pre order for the Queens Platinum Jubilee loco. I really love the look of that one, and I prefer how UK locos look compared to German ones, but I'm afraid of the quality of the model as I live TOO FAR AWAY to return it and haven't read the best comments about Hornby in that area. What should I do?

@Andres, welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the Jubilee Loco. I have around 15 of Hornby's Spanish locos - the Electrotren brand - and have had very few problems over nearly 20 years. If you just read the forums and Facebook you will see plenty of moaners but I don't think this reflects the amounts sold. If the #70 can get to you, I reckon it will be fine.

As you only have a few models at the moment, I would suggest you decide on what you would like to reproduce in the future. For example, are you aware of the differences between 00 scale - UK and HO scale - US and Europe. Also select a type of coupler that suits you and make it standard across all you stock. As you are intending to use DCC, again set your standards now.

Of course you could model the railways of Columbia - HOn3 - or a larger scale to use 16.5mm track, but you will be entering uncharted territory. The Ferrocarriles Nacionales 2-8+8-2 Kitson Meyer would be a fantastic model!

@Andres, welcome to the forum.
I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the Jubilee Loco. I have around 15 of Hornby's Spanish locos - the Electrotren brand - and have had very few problems over nearly 20 years. If you just read the forums and Facebook you will see plenty of moaners but I don't think this reflects the amounts sold. If the #70 can get to you, I reckon it will be fine.
As you only have a few models at the moment, I would suggest you decide on what you would like to reproduce in the future. For example, are you aware of the differences between 00 scale - UK and HO scale - US and Europe. Also select a type of coupler that suits you and make it standard across all you stock. As you are intending to use DCC, again set your standards now.
Of course you could model the railways of Columbia - HOn3 - or a larger scale to use 16.5mm track, but you will be entering uncharted territory. The Ferrocarriles Nacionales 2-8+8-2 Kitson Meyer would be a fantastic model!

Thank you for your answer. I think I'll keep my pre order. I would like my layout to be DCC, but I grew up watching Thomas the Tank Engine and the first time that I knew this hobby existed I fell in love with the UK locomotives, so I'll try to put decoders on the DCC ready models that I will eventually buy.

I saw the loco painted that colour last week at the SVR... Someone had left it outside. Engines look good in purple. Maybe we need more of them, but its out of my price range and i don't have much room on my layout to play with it either. Model trains are for playing with not leaving in their boxes!

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I have severe doubts about purple, particularly for steam locos. BR's early 50's express loco blue looked good on the right loco - for example the air-smoothed Merchant Navy, or the A4, but it certainly didn't suit the GW Kings.

Hornby very rarely seem to produce the rebuilt West Country/Battle of Britain - the most recent seemingly being the R3618 several years ago. I hope very much that there will be a BR Green Era 5 version in the very near future. Maybe to coincide with Taw Valley returning to BR Green?

Obviously, going purple has been a very good publicity stunt for the SVR, and for Hornby, but I do wonder where it will lead. I wouldn't want to see preserved railways painting locos in weird liveries on the slightest pretext. As a one-off, okay - it's a bit of fun, albeit an expensive one. Maybe for a future Jubilee in 5 or 10 years' time, but do it too often, and nobody will take much notice. Maybe it has sold to collectors of royal memorabilia, but will it lead to large numbers of new railway enthusiasts?

Some folk have suggested doing a purple loco "on the cheap" by getting a second hand model and repainting it. However, the asking price for such models on a well-known website is high, and they don't come up that often. (Which in itself makes one think that Hornby may be missing a market for BR Green rebuilt light pacifics!) And it's not as easy a task as it might appear - Hornby Magazine have actually just done it, in the latest issue.

Imagine if all the other Platinum Jubilee tat was not available until the autumn when all the hoo-ha will have died down and it it will be yesterday's news? And as the saying goes, "yesterday's news is today's chip paper" (or it was before elf n' safety banned the use of newspapers for wrapping fish and chips.