Vitrains 47 coupling problem

gary789

Hi, I have just bought a Vitrains 47 and I am having problems with the coupling lifting the 1st wagon up when under load. I have tried Hornby and Bachmann wagons and it does the same to both. Anyone else have this problem and does anyone have a fix for it , Thanks

Presumably it is a NEM coupling. If so, is the pocket correctly seated in the mounting? Does turning the pocket over remove the problem? If the mounting is on the loco chassis, is there something on the bogie that is forcing the coupling upwards? If the coupling is on the bogie frame does the bogie rise at the outer end when under load and can you see why? Does the same thing happen at both ends of the loco: if not, can you see what is different at the problem end?

The coupling is on the frame not the bogie. Its not the same as the NEM couplings on Hornby and Bachmann. It is just a very small v shape grove that the coupling pushes up into. I have been playing around with it to try and sort it out, I have lowered it and it helps a bit . It is not as bad with longer heavier wagons and works ok with coaches. I have a Vitrains 37 as well and i have been trying that one to with smaller wagons and it does it to but not as bad. I think it is just a bad design. I will try and get a video on here later tonight

• 2 months later...

As Will Hay has said I have found this problem can only be solved by selecting a heavy wagon or by putting a big bit of lead in it. I am also going to solve this by never buying a Vitrains loco again. The coupling on these locos is just c rap compaired to Hornby and Bachmann.