Hornby Elite output

Dukedog.

Q1 through Q4 form an H-bridge in that net, so it could be where your fault is.

I can’t post an image of the wiring schematic to help you on the open forum due to an NDA with Hornby. You may want to contact me from my webpages, as I have several dead Elites that have failed for various reasons and could be robbed of parts. Try a search on Amazon, several hits for amended part number - see Edit below.

Farnell, CPC or Mouser may be a source. I know forum member Howbiman suffered a catastrophic burnout failure of one of those at the left hand side some years ago and as far as I recall he fixed it. I have replaced the bent tin heat sinks in my Elites with extruded section items rescued from dead eLinks.

Of interest:

Elite

Q3/Q4 IRFR9024N Q1/Q2 IRFR024N (Edit - see below may be IRFUxxxxx)

Select

Q3/Q4 IRFR9024N Q1/Q2 IRLU024NPBF

eLInk

Q3/Q4 FDD6637 Q1/Q2 NTD5867NLT4G

These may be acceptable alternatives but I don’t know for sure. You would have to compare the data-sheet specs.

Edit - checking data-sheets for how the part number is built IRF = manuf, R = d-pak (surface mount), or U = i-pak (long leg mount), so check that the part numbers I have listed match the required format of the actual components as they may be inaccurate.

As I understand it Fishy they can’t guarantee to fix every fault due to spares availability, but I don’t see why they couldn’t sub contract out the repairs to a suitable local firm and offer a reduced price refurbished Elite, Select, eLink service with say a 6 month guarantee, to keep the products going during these periods twixt rare production runs. The sub contractor would soon build up a stock of gash box spares that would fettle many problems. I think it is Lendons of Cardiff who offer a repair service and claim to know more about these units than Hornby does including Scalextric and other makes. The service could possibly extend to other Hornby kit and who knows they could even start up a regional loco repair service - there’s a novel idea.

I imagine Hornby puts a time limit on all its jobs, so if the drivers are broken and it takes too long to fix them or the device is out of production, then the unit is scrap. I spent ages fixing someone's loco but because I do it for fun. If I charged for the labour, it would be cheaper to buy a new one, even at Hornby's new prices. I assume Lendons probably uses someone that can spend more time on the units. The moral is if you can't fix it yourself, use Lendons, he is a small business and could do with the custom.

As I understand it Fishy they can’t guarantee to fix every fault due to spares availability, but I don’t see why they couldn’t sub contract out the repairs to a suitable local firm and offer a reduced price refurbished Elite, Select, eLink service with say a 6 month guarantee, to keep the products going during these periods twixt rare production runs. The sub contractor would soon build up a stock of gash box spares that would fettle many problems. I think it is Lendons of Cardiff who offer a repair service and claim to know more about these units than Hornby does including Scalextric and other makes. The service could possibly extend to other Hornby kit and who knows they could even start up a regional loco repair service - there’s a novel idea.

I don't think Hornby really care about stuff like that. All they are interested in is selling you their new items at an outrageous price & then once it's out of warranty, if it's not an easy fix, you're on your own.

They have all these new locos coming out with 21 pin sockets, new "smoke systems", new 21 pin decoders & they can't even supply controllers to run them!

I live quite near Hornby's Australian distributor here in Adelaide & I know for a fact that they no longer do any repairs whatsoever. I also know that they raised their prices by 40% at the beginning of this month & the largest model railway shop here has decided not to stock their products from now on...

Yes rpjallan I totally agree with you. I wondered why I dislike Hornby so much, what you have posted is probably why. They seem to want us to buy their products, but are making it more and more difficult, reducing the amount they allow Model Shops to sell, having endless lead times on their products. Fortunately for me I have all the Hornby locos I want, I have a couple on preorder but I seriously wonder if I will ever see those. I am tending now to buy locos when they are released, the only exception is the ones from Rails where given their small operation I understand the delays. Trouble is when the loco is over £200 a go, you are less likely to want to scrap it if it breaks its valve gear, similarly with the Elite, a new one if over £250.

Yes rpjallan I totally agree with you. I wondered why I dislike Hornby so much, what you have posted is probably why. They seem to want us to buy their products, but are making it more and more difficult, reducing the amount they allow Model Shops to sell, having endless lead times on their products. Fortunately for me I have all the Hornby locos I want, I have a couple on preorder but I seriously wonder if I will ever see those. I am tending now to buy locos when they are released, the only exception is the ones from Rails where given their small operation I understand the delays. Trouble is when the loco is over £200 a go, you are less likely to want to scrap it if it breaks its valve gear, similarly with the Elite, a new one if over £250.

More like £350 if you buy direct. anguished

Have you tried sending it back to Hornby, having first got a repair number. They test it, and report back. I sent them a faulty one, and they returned me a different one, which they had laying about. I have nothing but praise for their repair dept. Rather than turn this into a knocking Hornby thread, why not use the facilities they offer. I have 3 Elites, and 4 Selects. Only use one Elite, and keep meaning to sell spare ones. It would appear, value goes up daily.

Yes Yelrow all firms have good individuals and if your broken item reaches them then there is no issue. It seems so variable though, we have posts where people have got them sent back saying that they can't fix it. Generally from all the posts I have seen on this website Hornby Service will do all they can but if the company doesn't hold the spare parts then there is nothing they can do.