new Hornby Platinum jubilee loco has arrived pictures

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately for SVR having renamed and re-liveried this loco they have a conundrum in light of recent events as what to do with this loco in the longer term. It was I am sure only meant to be a temporary tribute to HM for her Jubilee year celebrations, but now I think they may have to keep it as is out of respect.

@96RAF
Keep the name and repaint it black?

Sensible and likely fully acceptable exit plan. You should suggest it to them as no doubt they are pondering the problem.

Edit - it is likely that they will retain the main livery, but repaint the nameplate wartime black and revert the number according to sources at SVR.

@96RAF
Keep the name and repaint it black?

Sensible and likely fully acceptable exit plan. You should suggest it to them as no doubt they are pondering the problem.

Edit - it is likely that they will retain the main livery, but repaint the nameplate wartime black and revert the number according to sources at SVR.

Should this come to pass, it would then set up an opportunity for the SVR and Hornby to collaborate on another run of this locomotive with the changes in remembrance of Her Majesty's passing. It would preserve the integrity of the initial limited edition run and likely be much appreciated by those who missed out on buying the first product.

I apologise for dragging the topic slightly, but I am surprised that Her Majesty's body is being transported to London by aircraft. I anticipated it would travel by the Royal Train and give those many people who won't be able to make it to London an opportunity to pay their respects as it passed by.

HK

Have to confess bemusement at the prices paying on ebay right now for something that is no more than a paint job on an existing model. Presumably a lot of these are going to end up unopened in cupboards in the hope that they will become valuable collectors' pieces worth thousands of pounds, but if a lot are stored I can't see that happening. I'm just a cynical old man lacking imagination and would be grateful if someone could explain the attraction (other than potential monetary gain) of owning a box that cannot be opened for fear of devaluing the item.

Question is, once all of the super high profile of 'recent events' has died down, who in their right mind would purchase a £200 locomotive for £1,000 in 5 years' time, from a vendor who had purchased it at the time for perhaps £500-850?

I may be totally wrong, but at those ridiculous prices, you've got to have a screw loose somewhere!!

It'll never be used as the general intention - to 'play trains with' which is an abolute crying shame for me.

Al.

I cancelled mine sometime ago purely on the basis of "did I really need it"? It is a loco that currently exists as it has been produced, but I would never have run it. The prices on ebay are ridiculous, I just cannot imagine anyone paying the prices being asked. They are never going to be worth thousands.

No its not. I have read stories of a crate containing one of the last Triumph Hurricanes ever made. To me I would want to open it. For all we know it could be an empty crate full of bits of metal. I have always bought things to use, I do have some of the Hornby, Hornby Dublo releases but I bought those because I liked the look and thought if they are worth anything later, that is a bonus. I remember watching a James May program where he was talking to a guy with a Wrenn that had never been run and that is how it was staying. With some of the early Hornby China releases you probably will end up with a pile of dust as Mazak rot takes over.