Availability of 21 pin decoder (Hornby)

DarkRedCape

Just because it is a Hornby model it doesn't mean that you have to use a Hornby decoder, there are very many alternative decoders in the market place. The only big issue is if you want to use the TTS decoder as a cheap sound unit, in which case assuming that there is enough room, just buy a 21 pin to 8 pin converter.

• 5 weeks later...

I run all my 21 pin locos on 21 pin Zimo decoders, perhaps Sapphire decoders did more, but it my case I would never have used the features. So as the Sapphire is substantially more expensive than the Zimo, I imagine that is why Hornby no longer sells them. The only down side is at the moment nobody has any stocks.

A Zimo was £20, it is now £24 so even now it is £10 cheaper. I don't know if I am unusual but I just want it to run the train and switch on the lights. I like the Zimo range because they have a maximum current range of 0.8 amps which is good enough to even run ringfield motors, those motors that go in the Hornby 0-6-0s and split chassis Bachmann locos. Virtually every other decoder I have tried has issues with those motors and I have tried lots.

R8245. They are a rock solid reliable 21-pin decoder with a removable harness to allow them to be plugged into an 8-pin socket, so dual fit capable.

They were fully featured allowing various special effects and dimming of lights, a fuel burn feature by way of railcom that stopped the loco when it ran out of coal, water or diesel, which could be topped up on the main using the Elite On/Off button (its only known use).

Then there was a programmable series of four events that allowed you to start, wait, stop, repeat a set of events such as an end to end shuttle, without resorting to PC programs like Railmaster. The decoder was 1 amp capable with four functions (directional lights plus to more).

Download the manual and have a read https://support.hornby.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360016160819-R8245-Sapphire-Loco-Decoder-Manual

The new yet to be released 21-pin decoder will be of a similar decent spec and cheaper, but without the fuel burn and events programming

That's correct Brew Man, there are quite few of them have in stock R8245 Sapphire Decoder but they are on Full RP or more.

I am still waiting for mine to arrive in post and will update here or share with my fellow modeller.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this relevant or not,I have been using LaisDcc 8 pin decoders for some time and only other I have used is Hornby, in my experience LaisDcc Decoders seem to works better then Hornby but can not comment on other makes or superior more expensive Decoder.

Regards

On the other hand it could be that the locos I fit the 21 pin ones to run better, who knows? I do know they have a tendency for "DCC runaway" but then do some of the others. Just lately I have been using "Train O Matic" ones who sponsor Jenny Kirk and they seem alright.