No speed no sound

WolfJunction

Just tried to address a bachmann dcc class 20 on the hornby select controller when I turned the speed control to full the loco just crawled along? No hint of speeding up and no functions of either sound! It looked as if the loco accepted the command of the select by nudging after I entered the address as number 1

1. First off - what is the revision state of your Select - i.e. the first number seen at power up. This is followed quickly by 30 then 03.
  2. What make of decoder is fitted in the loco. If you don’t know does the loco buzz when placed on the main track.
  3. What address did you try to give it.
  4. What happens if you try address 03. Does the loco respond, if so then it has not accepted the new address.
  5. What happens when you switch F1 on.

I don't know if this is of any relevance but I had a similar thing happen to my class 812 from Rails. Eventually I found that the DCC decoder wasn't sitting properly in the Next16 socket. In the end I had to clean the pins with alcohol, then it started working properly. In my case the fault would manifest itself by the loco running normally with sound and then suddenly being uncontrollable at a moderate speed.

If everything is being done correctly i.e pressing the right buttons in the right order. Then I suggest invoking a factory reset of the Select controller. Reset instructions are written in the manual. Resets have been known to fix odd & strange unexpected behaviour.

Bachmann factory fitted sound decoder locos have typically used Loksound decoders, these usually work fine with Hornby controllers. The caveat being that as long as the Select has a later recent firmware. Hence 96RAF's request for you to advise the firmware revision level. Sound decoders need version 1.5 firmware as a minimum to play ALL the sounds.

I have a Bachmann sound equipped Class 20 and it works fine with my Elite controller.

So far as sound is concerned with Bachmann, always check that the instruction for volume up and volume down are correct. I had my Club's "mechanic" work for over an hour trying to restore the sound on my brand new Bachmann 121 after it worked first time but not after I ran it a few minutes. He then found the instruction book was wrong and volume "up" was really "down". There were a couple of other minor errors too, so it appears Hornby are not the only ones to get things wrong.

@David

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’