Voltage change

Richards Grandad

Hello

New to forum .

Setting up layout for grandson ,and noticed that his NEW GWR High Speed train set uses a larger voltage transformer than the ones we used on our sons layout back in the 80s , is it still ok to use the lower voltage trains on the new layout given the difference in voltage, 16v & 19v.?

Also noticed that the new modern controllers cut out really easily , assume this is bad connections of track as l'm going around replacing track to see if controller works , this never seemed to happen back in the 80s ,ok you expect it to short out if tracks connected by metal object , but it never had problems with continued used with loose fishplates , back then the train would just stop (controller never cut out) is this just the modern day ULTRA safe method ?

Thanks for any advise

GJ Bob

Yes - modern Hornby controllers cut out just for fun. Old ‘electronics’ was a bit more mechanical with regard to overload tripping, whereas the new stuff is fast reaction - too fast for my liking.

As long as the transformer voltage matches the controller then all will be well as the controller only provides 0-12v to the track (so all locos can be used) and other output terminal voltages as marked such as the Aux output, etc. Generally you cannot plug in the wrong transformer as the jack plug sizes are different for different voltages. E.g. I have a pair of the unreliable R8250 controllers, each uses a different transformer supply, one is 15v and the other 19v.

Bob hi, DC track voltage is 12 volt, both in 1980, and now. No change. However, older locos, do tend to need more grunt to start. New controllers, are not the quality of the old ones, and do cut out very easily. This is build quality, rather than track or fishplate problems. They do come back on again , but are a nuisance. My solution was to buy a better quality controller. If you want a new one, look at Gaugemaster or Morley, both of which are superb. Alternately, go to ebay a buy a H&M Duette, or clipper, much cheaper, and built like tanks. For peace of mind, get it checked by electrician, but i have some 10 of these, and never had a problem. You will then, either way, have a controller, which will move any loco, of any age. The 16 volt outlet, is for accessories, points, etc.

Thanks for replies .

Just confirming my thoughts .

l have a Vortex , Morley controller 4 track controller and am thinking of wiring that in and seeing what difference that makes.

That seems to have bells and whistles (not like a guard)ha ha! inertia braking etc

As with all things modern (why change something that works perfectly and has done for years)

Shocked at Hornby NEW train prices now we're revisiting train layouts .

Plenty of Triang TT here .

Like l say BIG THANKS for replies

@Robert

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’

From what I remember, the modern transformers mainly cut out due to the amount of milliamps they operate at.

My apologies if this sounds too technical so I will try to keep my explanation as basic as I can.

All train controllers will put out around 12 - 14 volts to the track but it's the current that dictates how well locomotives will perform.

If you use a standard train set transformer they put out 12 volt at around 0.35 amps, as a result you could only run 1 locomotive at a time.

To run older 1970s & 1980s locomotives which will either have older X03 or X04 motors ( 1970s locomotives) or Ringfield motors like those in locomotives from the 1980s, 1990s and the early 2000s some of these if they have not been well maintained can often require a lot of power to give them the umpff to move, they will still receive 12 volts of power but the current required is anything from 0.7 amps upwards towards 1 amp.

I use 2 Hammant & Morgan Duette controllers which put out 12 volts at 1 amp per track and they are far better than anything I have previously used.

They have no problem providing power to the older motors, yes they do cut out but it takes a lot more for them to do so.

Ebay regularly has these controllers for sale so it might be worth checking it out.

Hope this helps.

Invest in a HM2000 if you want a double controller. I upgraded to mine a long time ago, I have had no problems with it. It has plenty of Oomph to start any loco. The trainset controllers are rubbish. At the slightest resistance they cut out and it takes a minute to get them going again.

XYZ