Elite for sale

Brew Man

I have an Elite that I recently replaced with a Digikeijs. The Digikeijs is great for running trains, but I prefer the Elite for its programming functions. Most of the DCC controllers on the market seem to require you to have a knowledge of CVs to program things, whereas the Elite handles it with menus that take away the need for that specific knowledge. Whether that is worth all that money remains to be seen.

The old tech is the DCC bit which is many decades old now yet surprisingly no one has come up with a better option. The data is serial, hence slow in electronic terms. The controllers don’t have that many variations for how to do things, so the only real difference is often a prettier screen, full NMRA compliance, incorporation of some aspects of a layout operating system like RM for route setting, track-plans, etc. The rest is down to the decoders themselves and what fancy extra things they can be made to do within the spec.

Actually 96RAF there is not a lot wrong with DCC, yes it is dated now but so is CAN (for vehicles) and the one that is used for audio. The thing I find most annoying about the Elite is the way to enter values. I used those rotary encoders with the built in switch on one of my projects and quickly figured that when you press the rotating knob, occasionally it would nudge the encoder and enter a wrong value. That is my biggest complaint and as the unit gets older and the rotary knobs get a bit looser it happens more often.

@colin

Agreed the rotary encoders are fickle. I turn them with thumb and finger of one hand and press with the other hand to preclude setting a wrong value.

My Elite teardown (see signature website) has an Annex by forum member Ed Cairns (Canada) that details their replacement and the new encoders thus specified have a more positive ‘detent’.