How many Orders do you have Pending & for how long for?

JJ73

Hiya Folks

Just wondering about the said above subject - b/c I have 3 orders pending :-

1. R1284M Tri-ang Railways Remembered: RS48 The Victorian Train Set
  2. R3983SS LNER, P2 Class, 2-8-2, 2007 'Prince of Wales' With Steam Generator - Era 11
  3. R30225SS BR, Stanier 5MT 'Black 5', 4-6-0, 44726 With Steam Generator - Era 5

& I placed the date on the 11/01/2022 for all 3 of the above Locos!!!

Which means so far I have waited (from todays date -28/09/2022!!!) over 8 months!!! I know I know b4 any of you say "it will arrive when it will arrive" or words to that affect!!! But still been a lonnng time!!! 🤔🚂

Good luck with the new steam generator fitted Black 5 JJ. At the last Hornby video interview the designer indicated he was just starting on it.

This whole pre-order thing is a bit of a farce in that the manufacturer touts for interest before committing to the build. If its worth building then go for a standard production run. If it turns out to be a dog then it would have been anyhow and they should learn from it for the future. Rant over.

I figured when it first came out that they would have extreme difficulties with the steam generated locos, for one the wiring between loco and tender. I ordered the Black 5 and Flying Scotsman, because for what was included they were good value.

Most businesses don't reveal a new product until development is done and they are ready to go for production, that way you don't lose credibility when you can't make the item.

I have reduced my pre orders with Hornby because I have enough locos and there is nothing I really want. The only locos I consider pre ordering are "Rails" specials because these are different and sell out quickly.

Must admit I've quite a few which have built up over the last 2 years.

Hornby's recent financial activities have decreased my orders - I dropped the 2x Hush Hush - concerns over quality and crazy pricing.

I've kept orders in for the forthcoming P2, Turbomotive and re-issued BR Blue Class 56.

I have A/Scale TPE 5-coach set due any time, plus a Class 37.

I also have a Cavalex 56 on order.

Also pending is a Dapol Class 59 - curious how it compares with the superb-performing Hattons Class 66.

Now I need to see how I can get them past SWMBO.

Al.

I currently have four loco's on pre-order with Hornby.

I have never ever worried about when a new loco will arrive - as I know it will. I place my pre-orders with Hornby as soon as the new loco's are announced - usually January, and then just wait for the email to say it's coming and I will have to pay for it. I will not get it any quicker by ordering elsewhere. Hornby have always given a time-span, usually Winter, Spring etc. and they are usually way out - so what. As I have said many times "it will arrive when it arrives".

I have about 35 orders pending. I only order from places where you don't have to pay upfront. Even if you order with a credit card and the supplier does go bust you can have difficulty getting your money back. You have 18 months with a credit card to make a claim, seems a long time but my longest wait for a Bullied Diesel loco from Kernow was over 8 years. Even when you make a claim for something that is pre-ordered and not yet delivered then if the liquidator disputes the claim, they often do, then you have to prove you did not get it. Learnt my lesson from DJ Models, thankfully the liquidator was helpful and got Dave Jones to confirm the item had not been supplied as when DJ Models went bust it was well after the expected delivery date. Liquidators just don’t automatically take your word for it, neither do credit card companies, I am sure they get their fair share of buyers trying it on.

Got to be especially careful placing an advance order by phone with a full or partial payment. You need to get something in writing else you will have no proof of what you paid for which you will need for any claim. Often you get nothing and it’s your word only, that may not be enough

September ended up being a very expensive month for me.

Previously had never pre-ordered anything; until the Hatton’s Genesis coaches were announced about three years ago. Next, Hornby 9F’s were announced early last year and I in-turn ordered two, in February 2021, then in April, this year, pre-ordered the Hornby Platinum Jubilee WC.

within two days, this month, six-coaches, two 9F’s and the WC all arrived, were shipped and billed.

Had no previous pre-orders and none sine. I will be very selective should I do it again!

I think the 9F’s caught everyone by surprise. Hattons website still shows them in the production stage. And as all three models show as in stock on Hornbys website, I wonder why Hattons don’t have any.

The Queen Jubilee was also a surprise to me.

When I pre-order anything from Hornby, I’m in the mindset of, it could arrive next week, or two years time, and anything in between.

Dark Red Cape - look back at the thread(s) about Hornby’s decision to put suppliers into tiers. Hatton’s are seen as a competing manufacturer are therefore no longer have favoured status. They will get a supply if there are any left after Hornby have satisfied pre-orders and tier 1 and 2 retailers.

W😮W @ AndyMac - 8yrs!!! Now that IS a lonnnnnng time to wait!!!

@ 96Raf :- Thank you for that - didn't know that!!!

I've just found out about my Pre-order for the "R30225SS BR, Stanier 5MT 'Black 5', 4-6-0, 44726 With Steam Generator" is not currently due to arrive into stock until November 2023 !!!

Oh well - looks like I'm in for the lonnnnng wait!!! Thank you folks for the reply's!!! 🚂

Just the two for me, late Crest BR 2MT ordered Jan 2020, last moved back to Autumn 2023 (Spring 2021 claimed at launch date), but not holding my breath tbh, and the smoky Black 5 ordered in Jan 2022.

I accept fully they will turn up in their own sweet time, but it really ticks me off when you get close to the latest date and are looking forward to your new loco, and the date moves back a year or so with no explanation. Hornby need to vastly improve their communication with customers, for instance something to show at what stage the model is actually at, as their dates have zero credibility. This is something that you need to do when you become a retailer rather than a manufacturer.

I think if you have a pre-order with Hornby and the release date of that order changes, I think the customer should be notified. An email sent out stating the date has changed is not massively difficult and I think the customers would greatly appreciate being told, so they can then budget accordingly.

I think someone on RMWeb summed it up. Hornby has been around for years so there is a malaise that spreads through companies that says the customer doesn't matter that much, we sell a product that they want so they have to put up with it. Add into that budgets that are stretched and probably high turnover of staff because the pay is not good enough and there you have it. Trouble is all the other model railway firms think if Hornby can get away with it so can they. To put a product into your catalogue when you haven't done the initial design, as in the case of the black 5, is asking for trouble. Add into the mix that if the customer preorders with Hornby they get a fixed price, it opens up all horrors if the product is 2 or 3 years late.

The only positive point is them honouring the price at time of order. A lot of the criticism they receive is deserved, if a little over the top in some cases. The Black 5 with smoke generator had an increase of £20 I think within weeks of the launch. If it has not even been designed yet, I can see 2 or 3 increases before the model is actually available. This will end up well north of 300 sheets, even with club or shop discount. Quite simply, if you want a particular model, and be sure of actually getting one, order direct from Hornby, by the time you actually get it, it will seem a bargain.