Repair to Hornby R796 Stephensons Rocket

roythegrass

I sent the loco to a dealer to see if they could convert to DCC which they said they could. After 4 months all they had done was dismantle a few parts so I requested that they return the loco which they did but still partially dismantled! They then went out of business!

I emailed Hornby repairs who’ve replied saying that they are unable to repair a Triang Rocket which was produced in 1963. This is surprising as it’s definitely Hornby and I believe it was released in 1982.

Thoughts?forum_image_633740fe5ad9c.thumb.png.0fb352f32b6db3c342c3eff1cd4ffd34.pngforum_image_63374100ce830.thumb.png.856f9ccce80bf3f908c8db8e7dac32f3.png

I wouldn’t touch it if I was Hornby. Why should they except the responsibility for any breakages which may occurred or occur well trying to fix it.

They may have re-released it. But it’s 40-59 year old model they are not going to have the parts. Any guarantees have long since run their course.

it boils down to the owner to take responsibility for its state of repair. You have two choices diy or see if another company will do it for you.

There appears to be very little to do to put the loco back together, assuming one brush arm is still in place and there are 3 separate screws rather than the 2 immediately visible. Once the body is put back in place and the chimney stays repositioned, the traction magnet and the two connecting rods need resecuring to the chassis and the driving wheels, respectively, and the brush arm replaced on the motor.

Reference to Service Sheets 40, 52 and 68 may help.

Hi

The important thing have you got both motor brushes, getting replacement X500 motor brushes are near impossible.

Reassembly of the Rocket is simple. You need to check if the screw for traction magnet this there (or nut and screw)

Having looked at my service sheets I would not bother converting to DCC there are too many issues that would need resolving like split axel and frame, no pickups, no room to house pcb