Adding locos which already have DCC addresses to my Elite controller

Hugh -747556

I have just purchased a Hornby Elite controller on Ebay. I have previously been using a Roco z21 controller. Consequently, I have a fleet of DCC fitted locos that

already have DCC addresses.

Therefore, I am seeking advice on how to easily add the existing addresses of my loco fleet to the Elite controller without having to re-program every loco using the Elite controller.

I have read the Elite manual, I have searched the Hornby DCC Forum and I have used Google in an attempt to find a solution.

No doubt others have experienced a similar problem but I am unable to locate any online solutions even though I am certain that there must be some. I apologise if I am over-looking the obvious.

Any help. advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Hugh, hi, i am no expert on Elite, although have been using them for several years. My understanding, (although RAF, who is the Elite expert), will no doubt put me right, is that the Elite has no memory, so you cant add them all. I have Railmaster, as well, in which they are all added, and stored. I simply, when just using Elite, put loco on track, enter its number, eg, 16, and away you go. If i am wrong, then quite pleased, as i can then do, what you want to do. I run them , as described, and as have 3 select walkabouts, can then run 5 at a time.

The Elite does not have a memory feature that is compariable to the Z21. With the Elite you can use DCC addresses that have been allocated to a decoder by a different controller, thus there is no need to use the Elite to reprogram an existing address into a decoder. As you use the Elite, it does remember the addresses used, but only a maximum of 10 loco addresses. These 10 memory locations are dynamic in nature, that is to say if you now control loco 11, then that locos address overwrites the memory location for loco 1. Last in first out methodology. This memory is cleared when the Elite is powered off. Basically, you control any loco by just entering the address each time you want to control it. The 10 memory locations are scrolled through sequentially by repeatedly pressing the 'escape' button. This feature is at best a time saver as oppossed to entering the loco address manually each time you want to control it. The Elite supports the full loco address range written in the DCC standards i.e 0001 to 9999

The feature that the Elite has that others typically do not, is the use of two speed control knobs. Each knob can be allocated to any two different loco addresses. Thus you have the ability to control two locos. The two knobs do not however support simultaneous use i.e. the ability to rotate both knobs at the exact same time. The knob being used has to be pressed first to select it, then the other knob pressed to switch control to that knob. Thus two locos can be sequentially controlled without the need to re-enter their addresses. The knobs can have a new loco address assigned to them in real time as the layout is operated.

As Yelrow has stated, the Elite works with Railmaster (RM) software running on a Windows PC, RM provides the storage of your loco fleet pre-programmed with their operating addresses, which then gives the ability to point and click screen icons to control locos using on-screen loco throttle sliders. RM is a Windows only application, but can be run on a MAC using a Windows emulator. The Android 'hand held' APP, still requires RM to be running on a PC to provide communication with the Elite. Thus there is no 'stand alone' Android (or Apple IOS) RM support.

As yelrow and P-H say the Elite memory is volatile in that it only remembers 10 locos and 10 points/signals per speed knob in an operating session. These locos can be called back and scrolled through by use of the ESC button. At power down this list is lost. What can be held in memory is a list of loco or point/signal names tagged to an address and a favourites list. These are retained session to session unless the Elite unit is reset.

Phew, got it right. That was the reason for the walkabouts. i can then happily run 5 locos, at once. Now you have your Elite, you could pick up select controllers on ebay. You dont need the transformers, as they run from the Elite, but you do need special cable to connect. There is a guy on ebay who makes them, any length, at a very cheap price. I have just picked up a 4th one, ( select controller ) for 45, pounds. , and you can have up to 7 of these. So, 9 locos , at once, then possible. Have fun.

Also, if you don't know the addresses of your locos as you had them programmed into your Z21, you can find out by placing each one onto a designated programming trach and reading the value of CV 1. That value is the loco's address.

Just put the locos on a programming track connected to the Elite Prog terminals and use the Menu button > Loco > Direct > Address > Read to read the loco address. If it comes back as a long or short address it doesn’t matter, just note it for next time.

When writing any address, you can simply enter a long or short address and the Elite will put it in the correct CVs and switch CV29 to suit which long/short address is in use.

You can only write CVs on the main, but not addresses and you cannot read them back.

If like Yelrow you use a Select as a Walkabout to an Elite then you need to keep your loco addresses within the allowable range of the Select.

Just a fundamental to add to all the info provided above - a loco address is held in the decoder in the loco. All you have to do to control the loco is to call up its address using whatever method/menu your controller uses.

This is irrespective of whether the controller has controlled that loco before or not, and/or has a feature to remember that address, or not, now or at any future point in time.

Many thanks to everyone who has generously shared their knowledge, expertise and guidance in relation to the Elite controller.

I am now armed with the basic knowledge that I need to make a start with operating my locomotive fleet using the Elite.

My next challenge will be to integrate the Elite with the Railmaster program that I already have loaded on my laptop. I purchased the Railmaster program quite some time ago along with an E-link.

Alas, I have not as yet got around to using either of them as I found the Roco z21 used in conjunction with an Ipad to be capable of meeting my needs up until now.

Thanks again and cheers from Adelaide, South Australia!

Hugh, a couple of tips for running your Elite with RM when you get to it:

• plug the Elite into your laptop and make sure it is running the Windows driver for it (select change driver in Decice Manager and search automatically if necessary)
  • from the link at the top of the RM forum, now download the latest version of RM and install over your existing version
  • if you have any issues, go to the FAQ index at the top of the forum and follow the installation FAQs meticulously

When you get round to having a go with RM the eLink and Elite use the same driver. Which driver you install depends upon which Win version you have. All in the instructions.

You can also using both the Elite (as Contrl A to run locos) and eLink (as Contrl B to operate points, etc) as long as they are on separate bus. Never connect two controllers to the same bus.

Should be no problem connecting them to separate buses. As we know, you can wait for hours for a bus but, when it comes, there will be 2 of them come, one for the eLink and one for the Elite (sorry, I’ll go back to drinking my morning coffee)!