General Discussion about TT:120

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the site says that Princess in LMS will be released in 2024-2025 I thought that it going to to released this year.

Yes I wonder if that is a typo for Winter 2023-4? Because there doesn't seem to be anything listed for then (or for the rest of 2024).

I did email Simon Kohler to ask if he could get someone to check and update the dates, which he said he would.

the site says that Princess in LMS will be released in 2024-2025 I thought that it going to to released this year.

Yes I wonder if that is a typo for Winter 2023-4? Because there doesn't seem to be anything listed for then (or for the rest of 2024).
I did email Simon Kohler to ask if he could get someone to check and update the dates, which he said he would.

Actually this has now been clarified - see the "Coronation Class delivery schedule" thread.

Looks like mid-2024 for the Princess Coronation/Duchess.

Must be patient! But means less need for painful budget discussions with the Household Finance Committee in 2023...

In TT gauge what would, in feet,would be the equivelent of an 00 gauge 6 x 4 feet size layout?

Not a direct answer, but to give you an idea ...

I designed an 00 layout for my father last year. I decided to use it for my own (first ever) layout. I modified it to be a true twin loop (his was a single that looked like a twin) and some minor tweaks, but essentially the same.

His takes up 12ft x 4ft, mine fits on an 8 x 3 board.

It’s strange how they launched the range with two sets with steam locomotives 😂 but you get electric locomotives as individual locomotives. So you have to get a train set with steam locomotives and then add electric locomotives. What if you just want to do electric locomotives? Shouldn’t there have been a set with electric locomotives as well the steam locomotives. Well it was just a thought.

Hornby have more data on what sells in UK than any other company and SK has been in this game over 40

years.. to get the best initial results the sets will have been carefully selected. It seems that expertise has been rewarded too… the diesel and electric ‘sets’ are planned but the release and final specs just not announced.

It’s clear that the plan with TT120 is very much about ‘building a layout’ not just having a trainset. So expect a small number of well placed ‘sets’ to get people going and then being able to move through the building process easily. Notice bundles are talked about so I’m expecting ‘train packs’ and small collections so it’s easy to build up to something really fun.

Just on here it’s clear the scale has attracted new modellers and hopefully these approaches will make it a lot less ‘stuffy’ than the model railway world can be at times…

What a shame it’s only a small range right now. Now that I’ve bought TT bug and bought the Eastern set I want more. The track, the loco and rolling is so adorable and small. It’s amazing how small they are. I just hope it grows. I can fit TT stuff in a small space than I could with a 00.

What a shame it’s only a small range right now. Now that I’ve bought TT bug and bought the Eastern set I want more. The track, the loco and rolling is so adorable and small. It’s amazing how small they are. I just hope it grows. I can fit TT stuff in a small space than I could with a 00.

@rman if you're impressed by small scale models then look at N (1:148 or 1:160) and Z (1:220), and as for T at 1:450 scale 3mm track gauge....

As a long time N gauge modeller (yes I have Z and T also) I find TT relatively large and OO / HO positively huge grinning

Additionally Flying Scotsman (both A1 & A3 during its ‘lifetime’) and Mallard (A4) being arguably the two most well-known/iconic/famous British locomotives might also have given Hornby an idea for where to start their new range.

As has previously been suggested - by picking non NRM stablemates for the train sets will have helped reduce costs (no licensing needed).