Elite Controller no longer in production - (according to Hattons)?

DarkRedCape

As some of you might know, I’ve had a Hornby Elite on pre-order for some time now. I just got an email from Hattons saying my order has been cancelled because this item is no longer in production.

My anger aside, does this mean Hornby will be bringing out a new controller system?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with Rog. The Elite is shown as available as a pre-order in the Hornby online shop. So very likely at best poor wording by Hatton's or at worst trying to persuade a purchase of a different product that they do have in stock to generate urgently required revenue.

This is the email from Hattons.

“Hello

This is an email to let you know that the following item has been cancelled from production, and, as you requested an email notification of its arrival, thought you would like to know that it is not now expected to be released.

We are unsure of the specific reason for the cancellation, and will try to keep its descriptive text updated to provide any information which the manufacturer releases. You will remain signed-up for notification – so if it is reinstated and delivered then you will receive a notification.”

And if they do ever get anymore, they no longer have to honour my pre-order price that at this point was near £100 less than it is on Hornbys website.

Also, no idea if it’s even relevant, but the email they sent was sent three times.

It could be that in reality there won't be anymore, at the new price it is very expensive. The thing I do like about the Elite is the easy menus for programming, Hornby did get that right, although they did mess up with the rotary encoder and the press to enter (it gets it wrong a lot). For running trains on a layout there are better options. I have replaced my Elite with a Digikeijs which is great for multiple trains, although it does have a number of faults mainly to do with software. It could be that as Hattons is very low down the Hornby Tier system that they will never get any, even if they were available, hence why they cancelled your order.

Just speculation, but another possibility is that the Elite in its current form is out of production (hence the Hatton's mail) and the Hornby shop pre-order relates to a as yet unannounced MK2 version. This is what happened with the Select. This could account for the price hike too.

There is no Mk2 version as such but there has been a modified version at last couple of production runs, which only has one Xpressnet port, this due to the previous sprung terminal blocks no longer being available in the size required so larger ones were fitted resulting in loss of the said port.

Just seems odd to me that Hornby would drop their flagship DCC controller system with seemingly no replacement announcement. Having emailed a few retailers, I know there was high demand for this item, so it wasn’t a lack of demand.

A member on here said he bought his Elite for around £100 many years ago, so with the current model price being around £330, I can only assume they just can’t make money on this product anymore.

That was probably me - I bought my Hornby Elite (now at level 1.45) for £123.20 in January 2009. At the time this was not cheap, you could buy a Hornby Pacific loco for about £100. If you compare the current Elite RRP with that of some of the latest loco's, there is little difference. I would add that my Elite is still working well, but then I am not running trains 24/7.

There are a lot for sale on ebay.

I keep saying it I will say it again. You cannot compare the price of an Elite against a loco, if it wasn't made by a toy company, it would either have been improved substantially to match improvements in electronics to justify its higher price or be a lot cheaper because all the components are now dirt cheap. I paid over £400 for my first computer and that was very cheap as it was a recon. I bought a Dell latitude laptop reconed for use with my Digikeijs which was £80. I think a new one is much less than my original computer. If you go and look at the Zimo decoders, yes they have gone up in price but they have also changed the specification. With an Elite you are paying an exceptionally high price for late 1990s/early 2000 technology. Trouble is they are so highly priced they don't sell enough of them to justify reinvesting in an upgraded version.

Hattons , have of course been kinda dumped by Hornby, so have little loyalty. They will promote and sell systems they can make best profit on. That is why they are in business after all. I am, perhaps in a fortunate position, having 3 Elites, and 4 Selects, having picked them up, over here, at very favourable prices. There was a time, when the early ones , were failing, so i took the precaution, not necessary, as it turned out, to stockpile.

That was probably me - I bought my Hornby Elite (now at level 1.45) for £123.20 in January 2009. At the time this was not cheap, you could buy a Hornby Pacific loco for about £100. If you compare the current Elite RRP with that of some of the latest loco's, there is little difference. I would add that my Elite is still working well, but then I am not running trains 24/7.
There are a lot for sale on ebay.

I also paid £100 for my Elite very shortly after it was launched. It's still working well but also not used every day.

My original one was £110 , here in France, hand delivered and demonstrated by a lovely Frenchman, and his wife. Bought the second one, and a Booster, in a job lot, for £110, and last one was £100. At the time, there was several posts about faulty machines. Still using the original one, that to date, has been faultless.. very happy with it.

My one had the "STOP" button broken, I fixed it with a cocktail stick, mailed Hornby and got a new "STOP" button. I think I paid about £100 for it, plus two accessory modules and a copy of RailMaster. I use it for programming locos and testing them out on a metre of track if I have fixed them or added a DCC decoder. For my main layout I used to use a Fleishmann which I got super cheap as it had no power supply and leads, but now I use a Digikeijs system. Both the Fleishmann Twin Track and the Digikeijs are great for running multiple locos, the Elite is a pain if you have two or more locos you want to control. Trouble is the Elite looks like it could control two locos but in reality it is not so easy.

As to Hattons, Hornby have sort of cut them off so I doubt if they will bend over backwards to sell their products.