Help with new layout wiring.

JT1707823046

Hi I'm just starting out in the world of model trains. I have my base board/table built, track layout is planned, I even have a train! (I know, good start 🤣) my question is this.

The set I have is d.c.

I would like to eventually go down the route of d.c.c but I'm unsure about the wiring. Can I wire my track for the future? Can I use d.c.c wiring and techniques but power it with d.c to begin with? And, whichever way is best, is there a guide that I could follow? All I seem to be able to find is referencing shunting yards and it's a loop layout I'm going for.

Sorry for the long post. Many thanks in advance for anyone that can help/advise.

Josh

A DCC layout has every bit of track live and a single controller talking to locos each fitted with a decoder holding that locos unique address, so that single controller can control many trains even on the same track.

A DC layout requires each loop or section (say sidings) of the track to be isolated from its neighbour and to have a separate controller (or controller channel if a multiple controller), hence each controller can only control one loco.

A layout can be wired for DC and when converted to DCC the isolation switches are closed or permanent link wires are installed.

Have a look at the sticky post in the General Section that talks to Trackmats and Extension Packs for general guidance. It also has a section about DCC.

@Josh

My advice is if you are considering DCC, do it straight away. It is far easier to wire up and gives far more control because you control the Trains not the track.

Also

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’

Josh, as Rob (RAF96) says above, go to General forum, very top post Getting Started (…) and read cover to cover, so to speak.

Then google Brian Lambert and start to read his very excellent and comprehensive guides.

Between those two, you’ll have more than 90% of the background you need.