Hornby DCC Select latest firmware update

WolfJunction

@David

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’

Hi Colin

10 30 03 was on it,

it was programming loco's and that was it I could run DC on it via the usual way (Key 0) but i wasn't getting all the functions on the TTS decoders but i was told by a hornby representative that the update will be able to do all this. it burnt out an R8249 on a class 47 smoke was coming from the decoder board i had the decoder programmed on an EZ command mini layout and it was working ok till i set it up on the select.. the secondhand 47's motor was fine i tried it with a 9v PP3 first against the contacts (without the decoder of course)

10 30 03 means Firmware version 1.0 (the 10) Motherboard revision 30 (the 30) and default start up DCC Address 03 (the 03).

This original v1.0 firmware should ideally be updated, even if you didn't want to use the later firmware features as it has other historical issues that the later firmware resolves.

I strongly advise that you desist from using the DC support 'Address Zero' feature and deal with any DC Analogue locos you have by fitting them with decoders or run them with a proper dedicated for the task Analogue controller (DCC controller and any DCC Accessory Decoders disconnected first).

Just because the controller supports this DC loco support feature does not mean that using it is a good idea. In more recent times, it has come to light that using this feature can damage motors when the loco is not moving and left stationary on the track. So much so, that many DCC controller brands are now not offering this feature. HORNBY now turn off this feature by default in the controller firmware and have added a "do not use - advice disclaimer" in the controller manuals.

Having the update done also means your Select will operate reliably with more modern decoders, as well as being able to operate all functions F0-F28 and program all CVs up to 255 not just the few available at present.

Note that if you have any points under Select control you will have to readdress them. The old firmware used addresses 60-99 whereas the new firmware uses 61-99, not much but it accords with NMRA points group numbering.

10 30 03 is the firmware state of the Select when first introduced in nineteen-canteen when it attracted all the negative press for non-compliancy, since fettled. After update it is a competent basic controller hampered only by restricted range of loco and accessory addressing.