Fish Plates

Bodgedlitter

All,

As I have done most of a layout using the availabIe PECO track I have just tried to connect the PECO track to the Hornby track in the the set that arrived the other day.

I have found that the PECO fish plates will not push on to the Hornby track, but the Hornby ones go on the PECO track.

I was planning on using the Hornby track for some sidings but will have to wait until I can get some Hornby fish plates.

Has anyone else tried fitting the two together?

Yes, and my goodness it’s difficult especially if you’re using these.

forum_image_639b371e7cb80.thumb.png.91a3119c4ece851812ca5bfab1e4afef.png

I found they will fit and the best way is to put them on the Peco track first then making sure you have both pieces on a flat and level surface push them together. I felt as though I was getting close to pushing the rails out of the chairs but it did go home fully. Having said that, and only done one, I think I will source an alternative. I’m not sure there is a Hornby TT:120 version though. R-

I'm not surprised there's a difference in the width of foot of the rail, yeah just use whichever of the two brands will fit both.

How smooth is the join between the Peco "double T" rail and the Hornby rail? If the Hornby is code 80 then I'd expect a small difference in height - just 3 thou or so, as you get if you join Peco N code 55 rail to their code 80 as shown here (code 55 on the right)

forum_image_639b962814e49.png.d285b31b3926c15b518ea0ed25d8a77d.png

Should be able to advise on that one later…. already have some Tillig track, and delivery due today of my Scotsman with Hornby track…. although no news from DPD as of yet, so might be Monday!

Once i’ve got both, i’ll put some mixed vendor track pieces together and put some pictures up on here

I’ve tried taking some photos, but my phone won’t go macro enough….

what I can confirm is that the alignment of the Tillig track and the Hornby track is perfect, and both Tilling and Hornby fish plates work perfectly on both types.

The only difference I can see in geometry is that the vertical height of the top i-beam is probably a tenth of a millimetre deeper, but that’s below, not above, so the rail-tops align absolutely perfectly…. so much so, that with my calloused hands, I couldn’t actually feel the join.

Here’s a pic for what it’s worth!

forum_image_639dbef97f813.thumb.png.a4c9ec027885e8e0e5bc6515fdc93205.png