New Arnold TT120 Sffgmss container wagons.

ellocoloco

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just rec'd my wagons with "ONE" containers. Hornby are to be congratulated - absolutely superb/fantastic. Moulding is superb and very intricate, and the Y31 bogies capture their prototype design and really look the part. Not checked deck height but looks about right - should be a scale 945mm (new wheels, tare wagon). Buffer heights match my existing Tillig stock and new Peco UK wagons (prototype buffer height should be 3'-5.1/2" / 1055mm max with new wheels, tare wagon). Max width - over the UIC towing hooks - scales just under 8'-8", so inside BR wagon loading gauge of 9'-0". All in all, in my opinion, a superb wagon. Hornby UK to model some Tesco containers for these wagons, to be hauled by DRS class 66.

Incidentally, re the forthcoming cereal hoppers from Arnold - these look, from the images, as though they are modelled on the standard UIC wagons, ie, wider and taller than those operated in the UK (wagons built for UK operation we're longer to compensate for the loss in cross sectional area).

Right?! Also I thought that I'll show comparison of loading gauges with standard continental container wagon from Tillig. Difference is small (as one can expect in such scale) but noticeable. And some pics showing how much Hornby/Arnold went above and beyond with details on containers, again with Tillig.forum_image_656f19562e456.thumb.png.51e454249752a4f5db6c8aead4b78666.pngforum_image_656f1960546fc.thumb.png.ab1e867f01ccf2f3d24080d212f9f3c9.pngforum_image_656f196a30745.thumb.png.36a6666d33874cb825ca362da53669a2.pngforum_image_656f19740fa29.thumb.png.97a27db34f787ec7d48fe9aadb7866d5.png

Guys, having worked in the industry (BR and mainland Europe, in design, testing and maintenance) could I perhaps give some simple, generalised/approx dimensions for rolling stock (but in reality, also needing gauge reduction, suspension movement calculations, etc):

BR: 9'-0" wide, reducing to 8'-6" below 3'-0" platform height, 13'-0" high

France, Italy: 10'-0" wide from just above rail level, 14'-0" high (but many routes being cleared upwards - as below)

Belgium, Germany: 10'-0" wide from just above rail level, 15'-0" high.

Standard platform height for container wagons in Belgium, Germany, etc is 1150mm, but for SNCF they developed the Multifret at 945mm platform height to operate similar container sizes within their loading gauge (it just so happened that 945 was suitable for the UK).

1150mm platform height wagons can use the standard Y25 bogie with 920mm wheels, but the Multifret uses the reduced frame height Y31 bogie with 840mm wheels.

Both the original Tillig and Arnold models are therefore correct for the wagons they represent (though the ex Hobbytrain ? wagons that Tillig took over have a not too good looking Y25 bogie - I hope they will change them for a better looking version in future).

• 1 month later...
All showing as out of stock for me.

They must have sold out. I placed a pre-order on Monday. This sounds like a re-run of the preorders for the first three wagons, those also sold out on pre-order.

Hopefully Hornby add more production slots, these wagons seem to be really popular. I’ve not seen any appear on eBay so buyers are definitely holding on to them.

Wow, you’re right that two of the three versions are showing as unavailable. I’d check back to see if their status changes. Alternatively, you should find model shops still will have some supply. Very impressive start for these. If we keep this up maybe Arnold will get the message! 😉

The last version still available is the DFDS version. You can preorder here:

https://uk.arnoldmodel.com/products/touax-4-axle-container-wagon-sffgmss-45-container-dfds-ep-vi-hn9751

Edit: I double checked a few websites. Gaugemaster still has each livery available for preorder. The German website Modell Bahn Shop Lippe also has them available for preorder too. If you’re looking to buy them, it might be wise to grab them while you can.