What are the contents of TT:120 TT8030 Track Pack 1

Porfuera

Sorry if this has already been covered but I was unable to find an answer in the Forum using the search facility and I emailed Technical Services three weeks ago but I do not appear to have received a reply.

Does anyone know the actual contents of TT:120 TT8030 Track Pack 1? No guesses please, I'd just like the facts!

The online shop lists the following under "What's inside":

1 x TT8008, 1 x TT8006, 5 x TT8002

where:

1 x TT8008 is Left Hand Point

1 x TT8006 is Curve - 4th Radius 30° 396mm

5 x TT8002 are Straight Track 166mm

I believe the TT8006 is wrong and should be TT8007 Curve 6th Radius 15° 640mm - I think this has been covered elsewhere in this forum.

Also, does this track pack contain a buffer stop? I don't want to buy a number of buffer stops and then find that they are already included.

And if it does not contain a buffer stop then by my calculations it would be slightly cheaper to buy the individual track pieces than to buy Track Pack 1!

Thanks in advance, Neil.

Neil, it should be easy to sort out any mis-quoting of part numbers by looking at the Trackpack diagrams below any of the packs plus the description of contents.

TP1 is clearly 1 x R6 (there is only one R6), 1 x LH point, 5 x straights.

There’s no guessing involved, it’s dead clear from the diagrams and descriptions.

Does it say it contains a buffer stop? I don’t think so.

Fishmanoz - you say the following: "Does it say it contains a buffer stop? I don’t think so."

But then it says it contains a TT8006 4th Radius Curve when it has previously been pointed out that this should be a TT8007 6th Radius Curve. Other mistakes have been pointed out in both the online shop and the catalogue so I don't think it is sufficient to say that just because it isn't stated then it is clear.

Also the diagrams don't show buffer stops and so it is anything but clear.

The Scotsman sets are said to contain the following: 1 x Locomotive, 3x Coaches, 1x Transformer, 1x Controller, 1x Rerailer, 1x 3rd Radius Starter Oval with Track Pack 1

There is no mention of a buffer stop there so I am forced to assume that the buffer stop is part of Track Pack 1.

You also point out that there is only one curve - I wasn't disputing that. What I was disputing was that it should be a TT8007 and not a TT8006, as stated and this was confirmed elsewhere in this forum.

Do you actually have a Track Pack 1? Or are you guessing? You do not say.

As I mentioned before, if there is no buffer stop then it is cheaper to buy the individual items rather than Track Pack 1, which also leads me to assume that a buffer stop is included.

As I understand, the current starter sets , Scotsman and Easterner effectively have track pack 1 in them, oval plus siding and a buffer stop is included in the train set. To build the potential layout shown using track packs, after the track in the set, you go to pack 2 and on up to 5

@Rallymatt - I understand all that - this was not my question.

My question was "Does Track Pack 1 contain a buffer stop?"

I quoted the contents of the sets (as stated on the website) above. There is no mention of a buffer stop in the set. Therefore the logical conclusion is that the buffer stop is contained in Track Pack 1.

However the description of Track Pack 1 does not contain a buffer stop.

If Track Pack 1 does not contain a buffer stop then by my calculations it is cheaper to buy the individual items than it is to buy Track Pack 1.

Hi Garry - thanks for your reply. I was hoping (and I still am) that someone from Hornby might be on this forum and so might be able to provide a definitive answer.

I did email Hornby Technical about this but to date I don't appear to have received a reply - it was over the holiday period so my query may have fallen through the cracks. I might give it another try.

I want to buy three Track Packs 1s to build a small Inglenook-style shunting layout for the Class 08 that I've preordered and I'm trying to avoid either having no buffer stops or, conversely, ordering three additional buffer stops and ending up with twice as many as I need.

Cheers, Neil.

If they are matching how they work in OO gauge, then the track packs will include a buffer stop in the packs that need them (so TP1, TP2, TP4 & TP5)

Also this unboxing video of the Scotsman set shows the buffer stop just after 2:45 in

Which does mean that just because the set (and perhaps the track pack) does not mention a buffer stop does not mean that it doesn't come with one - so there are still errors on the website

As sets are usually described as containing the basic oval with TP1 and you don't need a buffer stop for a basic oval, this buffer stop being in the set, kind of implies that the buffer stop is part of TP1

Hi Colin - Cheers, I'd come to the same conclusions as you (especially where as you say they are included in those packs that need them) but I was just hoping for some sort of confirmation.

Also, as I'd mentioned, by my calculations the individual pieces would be cheaper if there is no buffer stop but with the buffer stop then Track Pack 1 becomes cheaper. So what would be the point (no pun intended!) of TP1 if the individual bits are cheaper?

It is only a quid or so either way so it is not going to break the bank but it would be a bit frustrating to order the track packs and then end up with no buffers. It isn't like you can just pop down to the shops and buy a few extra bits if you get your order wrong!

Cheers, Neil.

Hi @dBerriff - That's a brilliant idea! I just tried the same and the last part number seems to end in "10" which would indicate that a buffer stop is included. Thanks!

I just tried to post the screen snip of the box but the post has disappeared - I guess the picture has gone for moderation before being displayed here so this will probably end up being a double-post when my first reply appears.

Neil,
Plus i've not seen an exact date for the track packs to come in, seen a few suggestions on here and other places.
I'm going to cancel my track pack orders and go for the individual pieces (might cost more).
Then i can do some track layout examples .

Hi @dodge - I just tried listening again to the last "TT:120 Talk" because I seemed to remember that they had said something about a release date for the Track Packs but I couldn't find any further information. I think they might have said that they have everything in the warehouse waiting to be released but I got a bit distracted at some points during the video.

I haven't ordered any Track Packs yet because I'm still waiting on my Class 08 and the wagons that I ordered a while back. I'm guessing the Track Packs will be released around the end of this month when the next shipment arrives that will contain more sets and the 08s (I think) and more rolling stock.

I'm happy to wait until the Track Packs are eventually released (rather than buying the individual pieces) but thanks to @dBerriff's excellent idea of zooming in on the illustration of the Track Pack 1 box I think I'm going to order my three Track Pack 1s later today!

Neil,

Makes sense in what u are saying..

The only reason i might cancel some, is i'm changing the layout a few times, so i might not need all the parts,but i might.. So i have decided to leave the orders alone..You never know, they might come sone..

What layout have you decided on?

Dodge

I understand the rationale behind track packs but I would not personally use them for a couple of reasons:

1. Modelling for me is part nostalgia. I will take inspiration from other plans but in the end it will be my layout.
  2. I hate tight curves for passenger trains - and that is all you can get at the moment. TT:120 means that in the space I have, and with what I get in the Easterner set, I do not have to go below third-radius curves with Hornby track, not even for the points.

It is all down to personal choice in the end. Whatever you do the track-work will look great, based on the few pieces I have.

Edit: I will try a simple oval with 2 crossovers and an inner siding, the siding to be developed once the 08 shunter is out. Because I will not have much stock I want to learn more about the scenic side where I have been very lazy in the past.

Neil,
Makes sense in what u are saying..
The only reason i might cancel some, is i'm changing the layout a few times, so i might not need all the parts,but i might.. So i have decided to leave the orders alone..You never know, they might come sone..
What layout have you decided on?
Dodge

Hi @Dodge,

I was just trying to explain that (for me) I was happy to wait for the Track Packs to become available - I wasn't trying to persuade you one way or the other with regards to ordering. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

As to a layout, I'm just going for a simple shunting plank to start with. Something along the lines of an Inglenook that contains a runaround - basically just a loop and headshunt.

I won't try and post a picture because I just tried that and the post disappeared - I don't know for sure but I guess all images have to be moderated before they appear. I guess the same may happen if I try to post a website url.

So if you google Carl Arendt's website (that is: carendt[dot]com) then you will find the kind of thing I'm thinking of on Page 69 of the website - it is headed "OPERATING A TYMESAVER LIKE AN INGLENOOK" (I guess you could also try googling that phrase - note the "Y" in TYMESAVER). Something small because I don't have much space available plus it is nice and simple so I stand a chance of finishing it!

And good luck to you with whatever layout you are planning. I find Anyrail is very useful for planning - it very easy to learn and free to use for up to 50 track pieces and it means you don't need to buy stuff to try things out (other track planning software is available!). You do, however, need a computer - there isn't a phone or tablet version available AFAIAA.

Cheers, Neil.

I understand the rationale behind track packs but I would not personally use them for a couple of reasons:
  1. Modelling for me is part nostalgia. I will take inspiration from other plans but in the end it will be my layout.
  2. I hate tight curves for passenger trains - and that is all you can get at the moment. TT:120 means that in the space I have, and with what I get in the Easterner set, I do not have to go below third-radius curves with Hornby track, not even for the points.
It is all down to personal choice in the end. Whatever you do the track-work will look great, based on the few pieces I have.
Edit: I will try a simple oval with 2 crossovers and an inner siding, the siding to be developed once the 08 shunter is out. Because I will not have much stock I want to learn more about the scenic side where I have been very lazy in the past.

I agree with you about the tight curves - flexi should be out soon which should solve the problem for anyone with sufficient space.

Unfortunately I don't have much space and tight curves is all I'd end up with so instead I'm going for something straight (end-to-end) and with a small footprint so that I have a chance of finishing it.

Good luck with your layout. It sounds like it will give you something interesting to operate plus it should be achievable and give you plenty of opportunity to practise scenics.

Neil, apologies for coming across as dismissive, will try to avoid that in future.

To get a better answer, have just looked at all the TPs and it’s strange TP1 is the only one needing a buffer stop and not showing one in contents, despite the number of parts on the end of the box.

So, for confirmation, I just went and downloaded the latest brochure to see what it has to say in the TP1 description, and guess what - it includes the buffer stop.

Logic and contents now match!

And sorry, forgot to check if they’d corrected the R4 v R6.

@Neil, as previously requested:

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’

More details here

Hi @dBerriff - I just realised what you're saying here and I agree - although I guess some people might like to have a layout pre-designed to give them something to aim towards gradually, adding each Track Pack as modelling time and finances allow.

And for me I'm not using the Track Packs to achieve the layout proposed for the Track Packs, I'm just using them for the parts. I'm going to be buying three Track Pack 1s to use as a small end-to-end loop-and-headshunt shunting layout, hence why I was interested in knowing whether buffer stops were included, and thanks to your idea about zooming in on the picture of the pack I can now order them.

@Neil, as previously requested:
Moderator Note:
It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 
Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’
More details here

Hi @DS

According to My Profile, my joining date was: Joined Date:April 12th 2011

I'm guessing that nicknames and unique user names were not a thing back in 2011!

However, thanks for the post - I've figured it out (I hope!) and also managed to add an avatar. It doesn't seem to be working yet but I'll try logging out and logging in again.

Cheers, Neil.

EDIT: It seems to be working now!