Hollybush Railway - TT120 layout photos

Dave the Busker

50 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

I know you said the building had been re-wired recently, did anyone look into if there is some issue there? 

Sounds possible . . .

...whilst off topic:

My son asked me to help wire up an outside light/camera on his garage - new build house and garage.

An armoured cable comes from the house breaker to a single metal box switch. Spurred from this is a regular white plastic single light switch. The light switch feeds the garage inside light. The cable from the metal box switch feeds a double socket, or does it?.

Conundrum - turn the light switch on,  the light works. Turn the light switch off,  the light goes out.

Turn the metal switch off, and the light if on goes off but the sockets are live at all times.

My garage is the much same, but with armoured cable to a distribution box, which has an isolation breaker and separate breakers for the lights and socket circuits.

His was done professionally by the builder's sub contractor, mine was DIY, certified by my tame 'leccy.  I wait with baited breath to see what kind of lash up they make of his EV charging point.

Check for an iffy connection to the motor from the board that connects to the pick ups. I had that just after I had fitted sound etc on one. Drove move me mad trying to find it

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 1

That's what @GMD said he'd had on his too. I'd taken the shunter apart and cleaned those connections, put it back together and wasn't getting anything. A mate of mine was just round a minute ago to see the railway and I was telling him the shunter had just stopped working. "I mean, look at this, put it on the track, power it up and nothing..." 08 goes whizzing off just to prove me wrong in front of Pete 😂

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

I am taking a guess that one of the small plungers used to transfer power from the wheels to motor wires may have just got stuck and all the handling has loosened it. At least it is running again.

Looks that way. I'm guessing something either worked its way loose or a bit of fluff got picked up inside and in the way of the contacts, must have been something like that. I'm massively relieved it's running without having to send another one back!

Edited by Dave the Busker
edit to add detail
  • Like 1

It could be something like a dodgy connection from blanking plate or decoder into the 6 pin socket. They are renowned for needing the pins bent slightly to ensure good contact.  I know it least one N-gauger who totally hates the 6 pin socket, removes it and solders the decoder to the tracks on the board.

Sometimes I find if a loco is dead give it a gentle tap with a screwdriver or something similar - if it comes to life you know you have a dodgy connection 🙂 So many possibilities in the power path for something to need adjusting: the wipers or plunger pickup contacts, quality of wire soldering, dirt or poor pressure of metal strip contacts onto the main board or the motor, decoder socket problems, motor brushes and springs.....    A systematic work through the power path usually finds it. 

• Like 1

I know that the Trix decoders have pins slightly thinner than the others, leading to erratic contact. Other makes, and I almost exclusively use 6pin sockets, don't display that behaviour.

Today's post has brought some new detail kits from Scale Model Scenery. Chains to make pulley systems for the factories, Parish Noticeboards for the church, and a Merket Cross (not a typo, I'm translating their Cornish made kit into Scots) for the village square.large.factorypulley.jpeg.fc1eda91f4a7becf38e69e9c3c77ad5e.jpeglarge.workshoppulley.jpeg.78f24b6a5f1091f8addfc758055351c2.jpeglarge.parishnotices.jpeg.902830bec6f335dfab2ab987dd7ed444.jpeglarge.MerketCross.jpeg.87830a477c312759e1b61896e3dee26c.jpeglarge.townsquare.jpeg.25b0aafeb54d37484c62369f1c497811.jpeg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dave the Busker said:

A wee video with the new scenery items, and the 08 still running beautifully 🙂

Dave, 

Does the water wheel move? 

6 minutes ago, Dodge1965 said:

Does the water wheel move? 

Not at the moment. I'd like to have one that does, but I'd need to design a system to get a motor hooked up to it and an axle that would rotate smoothly. I have seen it done with the 00 version of that kit, someone posted a video to the Metcalfe facebook page a while ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave the Busker said:

Not at the moment. I'd like to have one that does, but I'd need to design a system to get a motor hooked up to it and an axle that would rotate smoothly. I have seen it done with the 00 version of that kit, someone posted a video to the Metcalfe facebook page a while ago.

Look forward to seeing that. Im sure i have seen one on ebay for N gauge.. if i see it, will send your way.  Great vid as usual…

• Like 1