A4 upside down whistle DON‘T

von Klinkerhoffe

Hello

I recently spoke with Customer Services at Hornby and amongst other things mentioned the upside down whistle on the A4 William Whitelaw.

They advised NOT attempting to remove the whistle to correct this error, saying that their attempts to do this resulted in damaging the body of the loco as it’s been well an truly glued in.

So if you are considering having a go then don’t.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This came about over a conversation about quality control over my A4 coming to a halt after fifteen minutes of running in. No solution was suggested. But they did wonder what glue had been used to hold the whistle so securely?

HO,

when I posted this I did wonder if anyone had tried to correct the error. Well done for your bravery, not sure if I will try to remedy this?

I spoke to Hornby yesterday.

The whistle is deemed non-repairable. Replacement is the only option.

If the locomotive is part of a set then the whole set must be returned. Sorry, I did not get past the whistle to discuss the cab options.

I have a returns email but still thinking through my options.

That's fair enough, it would be easy to damage it, especially someone inexperienced. Whilst it is a fault, and the cab, for me neither are deal breakers and I'm experienced enough to give it a go, knowing the risks involved. I wouldn't do mechanical stuff, though, I know my limitations!

Neither are things I'd get wound up about, though, I hadn't even noticed them!

If the locomotive is part of a set then the whole set must be returned. Sorry, I did not get past the whistle to discuss the cab options

I dont think that is true as a few Blink Bonny's have been returned and no one ever mentioned the whole sets going back. In fact one person used an Arnold loco to pull his Pullmans while the A1 was away

Yup, I've just done the same two fixes independently of @Hobby's post grinning Nut spinner to loosen the coupling rod pin and release the lubricator link first, then remove the body. Finger up inside the bodyshell and squished the cab down between finger and thumb, and removed and re-fitted the whistle.

forum_image_63f0ca67325bc.thumb.png.7618cbef12fd0661af5c827b0498b441.png

forum_image_63f0ca6943111.png.a5782c953621556a6702f94ed787d2dd.png

If the locomotive is part of a set then the whole set must be returned. Sorry, I did not get past the whistle to discuss the cab options

I dont think that is true as a few Blink Bonny's have been returned and no one ever mentioned the whole sets going back. In fact one person used an Arnold loco to pull his Pullmans while the A1 was away

Blink Bonny’s went back for repair. The A4 whistle is deemed “non-repairable”. I offered to return the locomotive for replacement but that was not accepted by the “system”. Hornby phone representative was very friendly and helpful as I hope I was, but return of the whole Easterner set for refund or replacement was, at that time, the only corrective option that I could be given. Any further enlightenment will have to come from Hornby.

@ Hobby,
Did you just post, and then delete, about pushing down the cab with a link to a picture of a cat in a duvet?

I'm not sure what happened, my computer went on a go-slow so I thought I'd lost the original post! Didn't know the cat had got involved, though!! Sorry! :)

I only noticed this after one of the model railway YouTubers drew my attention to it. I had to use a magnifying glass to spot it with my eyesight. That said it does bug me a bit. It is a shame for an otherwise very good model.

I suppose that's the downside when buying first editions of newly released models. You take the chance of getting the teething troubles before they are rectified on later batches of models. It will be interesting to see if the fault is on the sister A4s in the range which are now in stock in the Hornby warehouse.

I am frustrated by this and the apparent problems in the setrack curves, not only for myself and the fact that I plan to invest in TT and build a new layout but I also feel a bit for Hornby who are obviously taking a gamble by introducing this new range. I really hope these problems can be resolved and that TT 120 for Hornby will be a success.

So it seems we've exposed a few minor but quite widespread production faults/errors, namely the A4 whistle and cab roof, the R3 curve problems, the scraping wheels on the coaches, and the mysterious tape over the front body screw fouling the front bogie. All things for Hornby to address for subsequent production.

In the case of my set I'm fortunate in having decades of railway modelling under my belt and everything has been a simple fix in a just few minutes.

For a beginner the track problem and removal of the tape is easy enough to correct once shown how (admittedly shouldn't have to), but the other fixes do require a modicum of skill and experience and risk to the model and/or guarantee *if* they particularly irritate/disappoint the owner. However I don't see them as "show stoppers" in terms of running and generally enjoying the set.

So it seems we've exposed a few minor but quite widespread production faults/errors, …

you are very forgiving to describe these things as ‘minor’. I find your making the word bold quite arrogant. If they are minor to you then I applaud your tolerance - but gosh I find these issues frankly ridiculous and embarrassing for Hornby. They turn me off and make me question my own plans with preorders etc. They do not fill me with confidence.

Some problems might be minor to an experienced person but as a complete newbie to railways Im very disappointed in my Scotsman set, I've had to send my loco back for tripping the power, if this continues after its returned then I'm giving up.

Thats the problem, I am an experienced modeller but put posts up on various sites for the inexperienced and get a lot of stick, sometimes abuse, mentioning anything. These so called experts seem to think everyone can do everything, and believe it or not some have not built anything themselves.

Hope you do get it sorted to your satisfaction.

I would hope I'm not coming across that way! My posts are there to help people who want to try to sort it themselves, just like that post by someone else on sorting the track issues. I agree it shouldn't happen, but I tend to feel that this is a learning curve for Hornby as well as us! I notice the cab issue and whistle have continued on the latest issue of the A4s so it would seem that the feedback didn't get to the factory in China in time to sort out the assembly of the latest batch of the model. Whilst these two are annoying I'd hope they aren't a deal breaker, the track and the controller, on the other hand most certainly are.

I have been playing trains on and off for 50 odd years. Things rarely go according to plan, that’s just life in general and there are a few early teething problems however we should not ignore that many new to the hobby individuals are alongside us on this journey. For the experienced, don’t forget you didn’t always know and for the inexperienced don’t stop asking questions 😁